Elder, OH 20 Colerain, OH 7

W.E. Raider

Sorry I just don't but into the greatness of Ohio football. Looked slow to me.

How many OH football games have you seen? Ever seen any teams from Cleveland like Glenville/St. Ignatius/Mentor? What about any teams from Youngstown such as Cardinal Mooney or Ursuline / Dayton - Wayne / Columbus - Dublin Coffman?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I saw was two very good high school football teams play a very physical football game.

Elder is very, very good. I'm not saying they are number one in the nation good, because they very likely aren't top 5. But, there's not 15 teams in Florida that would beat them. They are doing a lot of good things for this early in the season. And, the Panthers aren't slow by anyone's gauge. They aren't a team of track stars, but they have good team speed.

Colerain is extremely talented, and very fast. Passing game was a problem today, mostly due to overthrown balls, and sometimes a lack of time to throw. One big drop in the end zone, but I doubt the receiver ever saw the ball until it was right on him. Defender had pretty good coverage, and was four or so inches taller. Personally, I thought Colerain tried to pass too much. I know they were down, but I'd have just kept giving it to the really fast guys in the backfield and take my chances they'd break one. Better odds, IMO than going to the passing game. It is how they scored their only touchdown of the season thus far.

But, and I don't have the stats to back this up, but it seemed to me Colerain's killer all day were penalties offensively, and the failure to get off the field on third down defensively. Elder converted at least 10 third downs, and Colerain seemed to put themselves in bad down and distance on offense with a false starts, holds, et al.

That was an amazing high school stadium and environment. What a neat place to play as a high school kid!

As for the level of play, Elder was much more impressive. But, once again, did anyone notice that Colerain's QB couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, and when he did throw it either A: the ball was WAY overthrown or B: the Colerain kid dropped it (and yes, I know they're an option team). The size for both school's was impressive and Elder's defense was stout, but it just wasn't as impressive as I expected.

I still contend that there are probably 15 teams in Florida and then several more in Calif and TX that would blow by the teams I saw today. Looked like typical Big 10 football...two teams full of hard nosed big kids who will knock the snot out of you, but probably wouldn't catch you in the open field.

I will address these post by post, as it seems to make the most sense that way.

Elder was NOT much more impressive. They couldn't run the ball at all and sans #21 having a bad day, they didn't have a tremendous day passing the ball.

As far as our QB, he's an option QB. We don't practice passing enough to hit at the rate he was throwing today. I don't blame him for that, I blame the coaches for asking him to do it with WR's who can't catch (or block).

Elder's defense was stout? Allowing 250 yards rushing is stout? Ok.. :confused:

You don't have to have speed to catch someone in the open field. It's about tackling and angles. And from the "defense" I've seen played in those aforementioned states, I understand why folks from those states think their offenses are so impressive.

One last point before I wash my hands of this nonsense post, Colerain is not big. The lines are some of the smallest we've had in a decade. If you think what you saw on Sunday was big...then the folks down south and out west are midgets.

-CardinalsFan

And to finish your sentence colonel fan, didn't even make the playoffs in Ohio!

In Ohio not everyone makes the playoffs and the regular season means a lot!

The Colerain coach after the game was talking about how his team has to run the table and get help from his league to even have a chance to make the playoffs this season in Ohio.

FWIW, if Colerain wins out, they are golden for the playoffs. Another loss, and things get sticky because the rest of the GMC isn't doing them a ton of favors so far. I think they'd get in at 7-3, but it's really too early to know for sure.

It's amazing how laughable Colerain's passing game was. How can you ever expect to come from behind without being able to throw the ball. You are not going to run over everyone.

Another rookie to educate...:laugh:

Colerain is 87-3 from 2000-2008 in the regular season. Post-season, playing in arguably the tougest region, at the toughest level (D1), in the one of the tougest states in the region, they are 21-8 in that same period with a State Title (2004), 3 Regional Championships, 4 Regional runner-ups. We have more post-season wins that St. Ignatius (10-time state champ), St. Xavier (2-time state champ) and Elder (2-time state champ) during that period.

I think what we are doing is just fine. The problem is that we passed the ball TOO much. That's not what we do. We run the ball, we control the clock, we win the battle of field position.

We aren't doing some of those things very well this year. Combine that with playing two teams like St. Xavier and Elder in back-to-back weeks while breaking in a completely new OL (sans Center) has lead to the 0-2 start.

-CardinalsFan

There is no questioning the depth that Ohio has. Heck, it has several major metro areas that are simply bigger than KY's biggest metro, Louisville. But that doesn't change the fact that Ohio football still is mostly slower Big 10 style football. The state will of course have some exceptions and produce some stellar athletes and when it gets down to it, most of the people who watched that game today saw a very good Elder team beat another good Colerain team. BUT neither team had great TEAM speed. BOTH schools looked fast but to me for Elder to hold the #3 ranking in the country is a joke. I would venture to say that there are at the minimum 15 teams south of Orlando that would beat Elder by 20+ points on the simple matter of overall talent and speed. The gap between what we saw in #1 St. Thomas Aquinas and #3 Elder is like the gap between A small college team and an average high school team. The two are simply not in the same league in terms of the kids that are on the field.

I think the stinging reality of today broadcast game is that for the first time a mass audience got a look at Ohio's best, and to tell the truth, it just wasn't that impressive.

Can't lump Trinity and Louisville St.Xavier in with the rest of the state of Kentucky. Lou St.X will show that this week.

St. Xavier OH is a completely different team than they were last year. They lost QB1 and QB2 to broken collarbones, not to mention a host of other injuries.

The Bombers will handle the Tigers, and they will do it rather easily.

-CardinalsFan

I would venture to say that there are at the minimum 15 teams south of Orlando that would beat Elder by 20+ points on the simple matter of overall talent and speed.

And I would say that there are 10 teams in the country better than STA. We can play this game all day long.

The gap between what we saw in #1 St. Thomas Aquinas and #3 Elder is like the gap between A small college team and an average high school team. The two are simply not in the same league in terms of the kids that are on the field.

I'm sorry...did I miss STA and Elder playing this year??

I think the stinging reality of today broadcast game is that for the first time a mass audience got a look at Ohio's best, and to tell the truth, it just wasn't that impressive.

Colerain is no where near Ohio's best...not right now.

And you keep comparing these teams to the #1 ranked team in the nation. Who said either of these teams were as good as STA? No one in their right mind would do that...and they shouldn't. Not only is STA a better football team than either of these schools, they are "assembled" in a completely different fashion than either of these schools.

Truth be told, with what's going on down in Ft. Lauderdale with STA, they shouldn't even be considered a "high school" anymore for comparison purposes. :sssh:

-CardinalsFan

Elder was NOT much more impressive. They couldn't run the ball at all and sans #21 having a bad day, they didn't have a tremendous day passing the ball.

As far as our QB, he's an option QB. We don't practice passing enough to hit at the rate he was throwing today. I don't blame him for that, I blame the coaches for asking him to do it with WR's who can't catch (or block).

You don't have to have speed to catch someone in the open field. It's about tackling and angles. And from the "defense" I've seen played in those aforementioned states, I understand why folks from those states think their offenses are so impressive.

One last point before I wash my hands of this nonsense post, Colerain is not big. The lines are some of the smallest we've had in a decade. If you think what you saw on Sunday was big...then the folks down south and out west are midgets.

-CardinalsFan

A rebutal:

Elder stuffed Colerain for the majority of the game. AND when it really mattered, and Colerain had a chance to make it a game with 4th and 2 in Elder's turf, Colerain's RB got turned back by a 160lb. Jr. mainly because he ran with his pads straight up.

I told you I understoof that they're an option team in my original post...but the reality is that if the argument of the greatness of Ohio football is to hold water then a "great" team like Colerain should be able to "make a play" once in a blue moon. Several times Colerain's WR's blew past Elder's DB's only to watch the ball land 15 yards past them.

A defense gives up only two scores to a top flight team like Colerain and you want to talk yardage? I've never seen yardage posted on the scoreboard.

Take all the angles you want, the better teams in the states I've mentioned would walk down both the teams we saw today in the open field, angle or not.

I apologize for saying Colerain is big. They did have some excellent looking backs. Elder had some REALLY good looking O-lineman and their TE is a beast.

...your turn.

St. Xavier OH is a completely different team than they were last year. They lost QB1 and QB2 to broken collarbones, not to mention a host of other injuries.

The Bombers will handle the Tigers, and they will do it rather easily.

-CardinalsFan

Yup.

And because I don't feel like quoting what you just posted about STA even being considered a HS for comparison purposes, I'll just give you a :thumb: for that too.

Someone calling Colerain a slow team? I have officially heard it all. Why won't T or X step up to the plate with Colerain? The only KY team I know who has had it in them was the Birdies and they have plenty of track stars themselves and Colerain took them out back to the wood shed. Colerain put up over 500 yards rushing on Highlands in 2008 was it? That is a fast slow team in my book.

This thread is out of control....

Another rookie to educate...:laugh:

Colerain is 87-3 from 2000-2008 in the regular season. Post-season, playing in arguably the tougest region, at the toughest level (D1), in the one of the tougest states in the region, they are 21-8 in that same period with a State Title (2004), 3 Regional Championships, 4 Regional runner-ups. We have more post-season wins that St. Ignatius (10-time state champ), St. Xavier (2-time state champ) and Elder (2-time state champ) during that period.

I think what we are doing is just fine. The problem is that we passed the ball TOO much. That's not what we do. We run the ball, we control the clock, we win the battle of field position.

We aren't doing some of those things very well this year. Combine that with playing two teams like St. Xavier and Elder in back-to-back weeks while breaking in a completely new OL (sans Center) has lead to the 0-2 start.

-CardinalsFan

As I posted previously, I totally agree with you here. Colerain never HAD to throw this much. The game was within reason, stick to what you do well.

-CardinalsFan

Again, I agree. I actually meant to bring this up in a previous post. Both schools have had much larger players in the past. I'm not sure what people who thought these two teams were huge have seen. But, both Colerain and Elder have been far bigger up front, and on other places in the past.

A rebutal:

Elder stuffed Colerain for the majority of the game. AND when it really mattered, and Colerain had a chance to make it a game with 4th and 2 in Elder's turf, Colerain's RB got turned back by a 160lb. Jr. mainly because he ran with his pads straight up.

I told you I understoof that they're an option team in my original post...but the reality is that if the argument of the greatness of Ohio football is to hold water then a "great" team like Colerain should be able to "make a play" once in a blue moon. Several times Colerain's WR's blew past Elder's DB's only to watch the ball land 15 yards past them.

A defense gives up only two scores to a top flight team like Colerain and you want to talk yardage? I've never seen yardage posted on the scoreboard.

Take all the angles you want, the better teams in the states I've mentioned would walk down both the teams we saw today in the open field, angle or not.

I apologize for saying Colerain is big. They did have some excellent looking backs. Elder had some REALLY good looking O-lineman and their TE is a beast.

...your turn.

What do you want me to rebut, exactly? Colerain ran the ball well. We were killed by penalties. The refs were homers, no question about it, but you have to deal with that when you play a GCL school at their home field. Trinity will see that this Friday.

We're not a "great" team this year. I've already admitted that. Not sure what else you want me to say? :confused: We have been good enough to never lose to a KY team and that will continue this Friday against Manual. The Cardinals are angry and the fact that Manual was not willing to even consider moving the game to Saturday as a sign of goodwill in understanding our short week is NOT sitting well with some folks in the community.

We actually only scored once, not twice. Yardage does not go on the scoreboard but it does indicate a teams ability to move the football which we were able to do.

This game came down to our inability to convert on third downs, untimely penalties, and the lack of any decent special teams. That's it.

-CardinalsFan

What do you want me to rebut, exactly? Colerain ran the ball well. We were killed by penalties. The refs were homers, no question about it, but you have to deal with that when you play a GCL school at their home field. Trinity will see that this Friday.

We're not a "great" team this year. I've already admitted that. Not sure what else you want me to say? :confused: We have been good enough to never lose to a KY team and that will continue this Friday against Manual. The Cardinals are angry and the fact that Manual was not willing to even consider moving the game to Saturday as a sign of goodwill in understanding our short week is NOT sitting well with some folks in the community.We actually only scored once, not twice. Yardage does not go on the scoreboard but it does indicate a teams ability to move the football which we were able to do.

This game came down to our inability to convert on third downs, untimely penalties, and the lack of any decent special teams. That's it.

-CardinalsFan

CF

Do you really think that will make much of a difference ??????? Come on.:confused: