Fan ethics question

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone actually believing the kids on the field are listening to you during a play is suspending reality.... :lol:

But even if they were, a game is between two teams and their coaches. It is up to the games contestants to conduct themselves in a fair / ethical manner and to abide by the rules of the game.

Fans are not contestants. There are no game rules for the fans - only rules of behavior that are separate and distinct from the actual game rules. If they think they know something, they can go ahead and yell it out.

I simply cannot think of any definition of "cheating" that would include this.

Truth be told, even if the kids heard the fan, they likely wouldn't act on the information, because why should they believe the fan actually knows anything????

Listening in to play calling and then broadcasting the secret play. That's not cheating? :idunno:

What if a defensive player over hears what the coach or QB called and passed it along to his teammates? Samething in my book, it is only natural to pass it along. Now if that fan is standing right behind the coach on the sidelines with a listening devise for the sole purpose of listening to the play and then passing it along, well, that would be cheating. I gaurantee if a Highlands player over hears a play called in their opponents huddle all eleven of those players on defense will know what was called, and there is nothing wrong with it. So, to answer the question you posed, NO it is NOT cheating! Oh yea, no one is listening to the fan anyway, oh, I think someone else already said that! :sssh:

Truth be told, even if the kids heard the fan, they likely wouldn't act on the information, because why should they believe the fan actually knows anything????

Agree totally.

Very interesting thread, and I don't believe it is cheating. If you aren't part of the program (coaching, fliming, training then I don't see a problem with it. It's been a long time since I played, and I honestly can't remember hearing the fans during the game. I like to think my team can hear me yell "pass" or "sweep" but I think it's falling on deaf ears.

What if a defensive player over hears what the coach or QB called and passed it along to his teammates? Samething in my book, it is only natural to pass it along. Now if that fan is standing right behind the coach on the sidelines with a listening devise for the sole purpose of listening to the play and then passing it along, well, that would be cheating. I gaurantee if a Highlands player over hears a play called in their opponents huddle all eleven of those players on defense will know what was called, and there is nothing wrong with it. So, to answer the question you posed, NO it is NOT cheating! Oh yea, no one is listening to the fan anyway, oh, I think someone else already said that! :sssh:
This is not the same thing. If this were to happen I would entirely blame the coach. But in the actual scenario I was no less than eight yards from the coach who was speaking in my direction. The coach adequately protected the play from the opposing team.

Also (to the many many posters this includes) the fact that they probably aren't listening is acknowleged in the question. To use it as a point sidesteps the question.

Plain and simple, it would have been cheating. Of course, they might have changed the play...I mean, after the paramedics got you stabilized, of course. :cool:

In any case, anyone who would actually do such a thing has a pretty low sense of morals and fair play. I'm glad you didn't do it--no matter what team was involved.

How far do we go with this?

Lets say LN watches game film of the upcoming Ryle team. He notices either a)when a certain TE comes into the game the team always runs a TE screen or b)he notices that the left tackle stays in the 2 pt stance on passing plays.

When he sees this is he cheating by yelling "TE screen" or "pass?" He knows exactly what is going to happen when the ball is snapped.

This is not the same thing. If this were to happen I would entirely blame the coach. But in the actual scenario I was no less than eight yards from the coach who was speaking in my direction. The coach adequately protected the play from the opposing team.

Also (to the many many posters this includes) the fact that they probably aren't listening is acknowleged in the question. To use it as a point sidesteps the question.

It's still the coaches fault, IMO. While he may not think to protect the play from fans, he should be more careful. JMO.

I believe it is the same thing, if the coach doesn't care who is listening to him and is being loud enough for outsiders to hear then what he is saying is fair game to players and fans a like and it is not cheating. Now, if you had a listening devise so you could here what he was saying, well, that's a diferent story! All in all the scenario that you gave it would not have been cheating for you to yell out to your team!IMHO!