Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fan ethics question

Featured Replies

Last night during the Highlands Manual game, a Manual punt pinned Highlands down inside their 5 yrd line. During a timeout I was standing behind the endzone and listened in the best I could as the Highlands coach spoke to his team, thought I heard the Highlands coach say QB sneak. Now I was less than 50% sure that is what I heard and I didn't want to mislead our defense by putting there focus in the wrong area, so didn't yell "watch the QB or anything like that". Lo and behold Highlands runs a qb sneak for a big gain and I'm left with the feeling like I let my team down.

 

So my question is this. Had I yelled QB sneak I would have effectively been stealing signals from Highlands, would that have been unethical from a fans standpoint? There is nothing to guarentee that the Manual players would have listened to me but it is possible that I could have influenced the game as a fan. Would that have been an acceptable thing to do?

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night during the Highlands Manual game, a Manual punt pinned Highlands down inside their 5 yrd line. During a timeout I was standing behind the endzone and listened in the best I could as the Highlands coach spoke to his team, thought I heard the Highlands coach say QB sneak. Now I was less than 50% sure that is what I heard and I didn't want to mislead our defense by putting there focus in the wrong area, so didn't yell "watch the QB or anything like that". Lo and behold Highlands runs a qb sneak for a big gain and I'm left with the feeling like I let my team down.

 

So my question is this. Had I yelled QB sneak I would have effectively been stealing signals from Highlands, would that have been unethical from a fans standpoint? There is nothing to guarentee that the Manual players would have listened to me but it is possible that I could have influenced the game as a fan. Would that have been an acceptable thing to do?

 

Interesting question...is it any different than fans shouting "Sweep!" after a play has begun? Is there actually any player out there listening to us? :lol:

  • Author
Interesting question...is it any different than fans shouting "Sweep!" after a play has begun? Is there actually any player out there listening to us? :lol:
I know your kind of joking but it is different because I had information I wasn't supposed to have. Calling out the sweep as it is going on is to inform players who can't see.

It would not be unethical. If a coach is not smart enough to keep others from knowing what's coming that's on him.

I know your kind of joking but it is different because I had information I wasn't supposed to have. Calling out the sweep as it is going on is to inform players who can't see.

 

I know...but many times fans shout something similar before a play starts, because they see a particular offensive formation for instance. I know what you're saying...you heard the coaches instructions. But what if it had been that you overheard the QB instructing in the huddle? Would that change things?

I think the coach should have been more discreet about making the call.

 

I also think you, as the fan, should be able to say anything you want to out there that might help your team. Whether the players are actually listening to fans in the end zone, though, is another matter altogether.

Plain and simple, it would have been cheating. Of course, they might have changed the play...I mean, after the paramedics got you stabilized, of course. :cool:

 

In any case, anyone who would actually do such a thing has a pretty low sense of morals and fair play. I'm glad you didn't do it--no matter what team was involved.

Plain and simple, it would have been cheating. d.

 

How??

How??
Listening in to play calling and then broadcasting the secret play. That's not cheating? :idunno:

It is the responsibility of the team calling the play to mask, disguise, deceive, decoy and protect the play being called. It is not an ethical dilemma to recognize a play call or signal or for anybody to transmit the knowledge, but part of the game. Upgrade the play calling method so it is more covert.

Listening in to play calling and then broadcasting the secret play. That's not cheating? :idunno:

 

It would be good if it were a perfect world and everyone abided by the unwritten rules of "fair play", but with NFL teams using cameras to steal signals, MLB players taking performance enhancing drugs, NBA refs fixing games, colleges doing anything and everything to recruit top athletes, and even some high schools accepting transfer after transfer in order to try to build and maintain high level programs, it seems as if it's more of a "win it all costs" society and mentality we are feeding rather than one of honesty and fair play.

 

For that reason, I don't blame the fan for thinking he should have yelled out the play call. It sounds like his conscience didn't allow him to do it, though. Maybe if it were a playoff game or meant more, then he might have yelled it out.

 

In any case, I still say it's the coaches responsibility to make sure he discreetly calls the plays. I mean, NFL teams send in multiple signals, some being false and some being real, in an effort to disguise the play call. They're always talking with their mouth covered up with a play sheet so lip readers can't see what they're saying. Baseball players constantly talk with their gloves over their mouth. I just think it's part of the game to hide your play calls so I'd cast more blame on the coach than a fan if one play got blown up because someone yelled it out.

First off, don't worry about it because no one is listening to you. Players are doing well to hear their teammates and, maybe, a coach hear or there.

 

Second, if the coach doesn't want you to hear it he can pull the team over to the sideline. He doesn't really care. But its his responsibility to convey the play in a way no one can hear it, if he does care.

 

Football is not baseball. Its "wrong" to steal signals in baseball because of the "unwritten rule". Its accepted tradition. Its wrong in the NFL to use electronic means to steal signals, because of a written rule. There is nothing written in football about a fan overhearing a call.

 

Fans should stay off and back away from the field. They should not physically do anything to effect the game. They should not curse or berate a player (they are kids). Other than that, say anything you want and have a good time.

Had I yelled QB sneak I would have effectively been stealing signals from Highlands, would that have been unethical from a fans standpoint?

 

QB sneak: no worries.

 

Hook & Ladder: yell your butt off.

Last night during the Highlands Manual game, a Manual punt pinned Highlands down inside their 5 yrd line. During a timeout I was standing behind the endzone and listened in the best I could as the Highlands coach spoke to his team, thought I heard the Highlands coach say QB sneak. Now I was less than 50% sure that is what I heard and I didn't want to mislead our defense by putting there focus in the wrong area, so didn't yell "watch the QB or anything like that". Lo and behold Highlands runs a qb sneak for a big gain and I'm left with the feeling like I let my team down.

 

So my question is this. Had I yelled QB sneak I would have effectively been stealing signals from Highlands, would that have been unethical from a fans standpoint? There is nothing to guarentee that the Manual players would have listened to me but it is possible that I could have influenced the game as a fan. Would that have been an acceptable thing to do?

I don't think that play is called qb sneak. It was a qb sweep, similar to a bootleg. I don't think it is unethical to callout a situation or a formation that might help your team.
First off, don't worry about it because no one is listening to you. Players are doing well to hear their teammates and, maybe, a coach hear or there.

That says it all.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.