Highlands/Male Scrimmage

jbwill2

Typical scrimmage in my opinion. However, the Birds starting O, D, and special teams looked to be ready to go. The substitutions were many which you won't find during the regular season. But it was a good measuring stick for the entire squad. Keep working boys! Everyone can get better!:thumb:

Well stated. I was a little worried the boys would have bought into all the preseason hype and national rankings and come out a bit over confident. That didn't happen. As long as they stay focused and keep working hard, it looks like it will be a good year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggeast surprise was the performance of Pat Towles. From someone who watched most of 2008 freshman practices and all of the games its quite obvious to me that Pat has worked very hard this past year on his quickness, speed and ability to throw accurately to the receivers. Watch for him to become the backup to Barto as the season goes along. Great work Pat.!!

Of course Ozzie Sheenan will continue to make plays. Things look bright for 2010.

First I want to “Thank” Henry521 for passing out a three part card that can be folded and put into a purse or wallet that has the 2009 Varsity and JV Football Schedule and Roster. I don’t remember if I thanked her but it is great. Again, Thanks!

I thought it was a great scrimmage for both teams from the performance on the field. Only the coaches really know what they were trying to assess on the performance of individual players and the team as a whole. I am not that familiar with Male but it appears to me that they are a ball control team that will lull you to sleep and strike suddenly. On the other hand Highlands seems to have a very opportunistic offensive scheme that will attack a perceived or real weakness of their opponent. Both teams are very well coached and prepared.

What can you say about Austin Collinsworth? He is one of the most complete football players I have ever seen. What can’t the young man do? I really don’t know.

Will Bardo, #3, is a cool customer and the field general. He throws an excellent spiral and seems to remain cool under fire.

Jordan Streeter, #44, is a flat-out burner. The young man has some great wheels and is very aware of his surroundings. Appears to have great peripheral vision and explodes when he needs to.

Brandon Roller, #19, is back with a vengeance. He has the right pedigree and uses his talents to the utmost.

Austin Abner, #5, is a headhunter. If he were in the military he would be a Navy Seal.

It seems to me that Highlands will have a very good season.

I also want to extend my thanks to Tom New of Newforms for printing the three part card that they were handing out last night. It's nice to have Tommy as part of our football family. Thanks again!!!!:thumb:

The biggeast surprise was the performance of Pat Towles. From someone who watched most of 2008 freshman practices and all of the games its quite obvious to me that Pat has worked very hard this past year on his quickness, speed and ability to throw accurately to the receivers. Watch for him to become the backup to Barto as the season goes along. Great work Pat.!!

Of course Ozzie Sheenan will continue to make plays. Things look bright for 2010.

I agree that Pat has made huge strides with his game. It's a good thing, but I think Ty Siedl will be the #2 guy....Period!!!

I heard that the big kid from Rowan County was declared eligible to play by the KHSAA and played some defensive line last night... how did he look?

Also, what position(s) does the Streeter kid play for HHS?

Streeter is a rb..He looks to be pretty fast. He also is on the smaller side..

The final score was 50-40. But don't let that fool you; it was 43-14 at the half. The crowd was great! It wasn't a sell-out by any means, but it rivaled some of our best regular season crowds from last year. Male brought a nice large contingent too.

I was, overall, very impressed with the Birds. They still need to work on containment around the ends, but that will come. Saw some fantastic hits out there by Roller (Yes, he IS back!), Bruns, and Abner...among many others.

The passing game was looking as good as advertised, and will surely get better. The running game is in good hands with Mr. Collinsworth...that is when he's not throwing passes for near-touchdowns. :cool: Our punting and kicking looked fantastic as well.

Good first outing for the Birds! :thumb:

Why weren't they selling bird apparel?With that crowd the boosters could have made a small fortune.

:thumb:
Henry - I had the pleasure of sitting with your folks at the scrimmage. I have to say, your mom puts my football chops to shame; she's on the ball! She took me to task, at one point, when the subject of the speed (or lack thereof) of one of our players came up. :cool:

Henry - I had the pleasure of sitting with your folks at the scrimmage. I have to say, your mom puts my football chops to shame; she's on the ball! She took me to task, at one point, when the subject of the speed (or lack thereof) of one of our players came up. :cool:

:lol::lol:

Yea, she told me about it this morning. I'm sorry but I agree with her.:D

:lol::lol:

Yea, she told me about it this morning. I'm sorry but I agree with her.:D

Wow! That little exchange made that much of an impact on her? :eek: Did she want to know who the creep was sitting next to her and bad-mouthing everyone? :D

Anyway, I think she just misunderstood what I was saying and thought I was underestimating a player. What I was pointing out was that, on that particular play, there was no chance of escape.

In response to your comment that Ty Siedel will be the #2 quarterback I also believe but Ty has a history of getting hurt as he was his freshman and soph year. With him playing defense as hard as he plays I hope that he can stay healthy. He is a nice young man and a very good athletic and if he stays injury free he will be the #2 QB.

Glo puts most folks' football chops to shame. I think she's missed only something like 3 games in the last 60 or so years (and when I say games, I mean all games: home, away, regular season and playoffs). She really understands the game. Sorry you had to find out the hard way that she dislikes perceived "criticism" of any of the Birds more than I do. :banana: