Who will Holmes arch adversary be in 09-10?

JV success doesn't always equate to success at the varsity level. There are a lot of sophomores that play strictly varsity rather than JV. Rice of Holmes, Hodges of Conner, Stauffer of Ryle are a few examples of sophomores who play strictly varsity but would no doubt be huge factors at the JV level. How many JV champions, over the past few years, have won the region title the next year as juniors or the year after as seniors?

Mcfarland, Brown, and Spaulding will be harder to replace than you think. You can't just replace a kid like Steve Mcfarland.

I agree with you on this. McFarland was an all around good player and he had tremendous length. Good passer, ball skills, pivot moves, confident, etc. I dont see anyone for BC replacing that next year so McQueary will have to change the focus of the offens. They have some nice players coming back. I am guessing the projected starters next year for BC will be Cotton, Earls, Gabbard, Brown and Popp.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JV success doesn't always equate to success at the varsity level. There are a lot of sophomores that play strictly varsity rather than JV. Rice of Holmes, Hodges of Conner, Stauffer of Ryle are a few examples of sophomores who play strictly varsity but would no doubt be huge factors at the JV level. How many JV champions, over the past few years, have won the region title the next year as juniors or the year after as seniors?

Mcfarland, Brown, and Spaulding will be harder to replace than you think. You can't just replace a kid like Steve Mcfarland.

:thumb:

Boone has some good players who had some success at the JV level but there were quite a few talented underclassmen who played strictly at the varsity level. Most interesting question at Boone is Ryan Popp. Is he the player who started soph year and first half of last year or the one who had very limited minutes at the end of the season?

I would put Highlands slightly ahead of Boone just because they return everyone and McFarland will not be easily replaced.

:thumb:

Boone has some good players who had some success at the JV level but there were quite a few talented underclassmen who played strictly at the varsity level. Most interesting question at Boone is Ryan Popp. Is he the player who started soph year and first half of last year or the one who had very limited minutes at the end of the season?

I would put Highlands slightly ahead of Boone just because they return everyone and McFarland will not be easily replaced.

I think you will even see a very different Garrett Smith-Keller next season for Highlands. He is playing with a Shining Stars team that features 2 other Birds in Lother/Watson. They will have 8 players who could start anywhere in NKY IMO.

Grote/Watson/Lother/Gordon/Smith-Keller/Kowolonek/Grubbs/Dill.

Whoever steps into that situation at Highlands will be licking their chops anticipating the start of next season. It will be interesting to see if they utilize more full court pressing with their athleticism and depth.

I agree. Scott Co will be good next year, but much more vulnerable without Phares. They'll lose more than one game against KY competition this upcoming season and I don't see them running the table in the 11th this year up until the region championship like they did last year.

I couldn't agree more, Scott Co. will be better then most teams in the state, but Holmes will be on a different level. Without Phares, Scott will not be able to defend the post play of Holmes.

Euton can not guard Pittman, I saw it this year, and I don't see it changing next year after Pittman grows another year, he was only a junior this past season. He still has room to grow into his frame. And if Euton is matched up with Pittman, Scott has no one to match up with the Johnson brothers. That is the thing about Holmes, if you double team one player, the others will eat you alive.

No one will be able to match up with Holmes next season, pure fact.

You don't need to replace the three, you just need to have kids that can contribute strongly maybe in a different way. The JV squads win the championships, because they have kids that can play the game and play it well. The success is equated from the talent. Boone's top sophomores could have gotten as much playing time as Rice of Holmes, Hodges of Conner, Stauffer of Ryle on the varsity squad if they had the room and chance. Combine Boone's returning players with the sophomore's getting valuable playing time, and I wouldn't count them out. Montgomery is a leaper like Cotton and has a nice outside shot, Brown can hold his own with the BIGs down low and is a great rebounder, a sleeper maybe Oppenheimer with the physical likeness of Andrew Brown, and if 6'8 Crabtree bulks up and gets strong hands, he can be dangerous also. It's all a guessing game until they get on the court next year. No one expected what they got from Boone this year, so don't under estimate:thumb:

You don't need to replace the three, you just need to have kids that can contribute strongly maybe in a different way. The JV squads win the championships, because they have kids that can play the game and play it well. The success is equated from the talent. Boone's top sophomores could have gotten as much playing time as Rice of Holmes, Hodges of Conner, Stauffer of Ryle on the varsity squad if they had the room and chance. Combine Boone's returning players with the sophomore's getting valuable playing time, and I wouldn't count them out. Montgomery is a leaper like Cotton and has a nice outside shot, Brown can hold his own with the BIGs down low and is a great rebounder, a sleeper maybe Oppenheimer with the physical likeness of Andrew Brown, and if 6'8 Crabtree bulks up and gets strong hands, he can be dangerous also. It's all a guessing game until they get on the court next year. No one expected what they got from Boone this year, so don't under estimate:thumb:

I'm not underestimating Boone at all. I said they'd be the third best team in nky next year behind Holmes (returns their 3 best players from last year) and Highlands (return the same exact team that beat Boone this year WITH Mcfarland and Co.).

I don't see how some of you can act like everything is going to be alright, despite losing a kid like Mcfarland. Again, JV and Varsity are two different animals. If the JV guys that you're speaking of were really as good as you say, they would have saw much more varsity time this year than they did. There's a reason kids like Rice, Hodges, Robinson, Stauffer, Thelen, and Geisler were strictly varsity. You can't tell me none of those players would have made a difference at the JV level.

The team to really watch in the 33rd next year is Conner.

Boone was also JV runner up a couple of years ago to Simon Kenton.

Doesn't mean they will win the region, but If a group of kids are good, they will do well in multiple situations and at multiple levels, with respect to their peers.

I'm not underestimating Boone at all. I said they'd be the third best team in nky next year behind Holmes (returns their 3 best players from last year) and Highlands (return the same exact team that beat Boone this year WITH Mcfarland and Co.).

I don't see how some of you can act like everything is going to be alright, despite losing a kid like Mcfarland. Again, JV and Varsity are two different animals. If the JV guys that you're speaking of were really as good as you say, they would have saw much more varsity time this year than they did. There's a reason kids like Rice, Hodges, Robinson, Stauffer, Thelen, and Geisler were strictly varsity. You can't tell me none of those players would have made a difference at the JV level.

The team to really watch in the 33rd next year is Conner.

Apparently you don't know the Boone system too well with their depth. The head coach openly admitted that two of the sophomores would probably start at any other 9th region school outside of Holmes, but because they are sophomores, they have to wait their turn. If you put Rice, Hodges, Robinson, Stauffer, Thelen, and Geisler back to their JV teams yes they would have made a difference, but how much? That's one person going back down where Boone has a couple or more. These are all good players that we are talking about, it's just that Rice, Hodges, Robinson, Stauffer, Thelen, and Geisler got more recognition because they were allowed to get substantial varsity minutes, not the 2 minute close-outs.

Boone was also JV runner up a couple of years ago to Simon Kenton.

Doesn't mean they will win the region, but If a group of kids are good, they will do well in multiple situations and at multiple levels, with respect to their peers.

I agree, it's how they will do in multiple situations.

Apparently you don't know the Boone system too well with their depth. The head coach openly admitted that two of the sophomores would probably start at any other 9th region school outside of Holmes, but because they are sophomores, they have to wait their turn. If you put Rice, Hodges, Robinson, Stauffer, Thelen, and Geisler back to their JV teams yes they would have made a difference, but how much? That's one person going back down where Boone has a couple or more. These are all good players that we are talking about, it's just that Rice, Hodges, Robinson, Stauffer, Thelen, and Geisler got more recognition because they were allowed to get substantial varsity minutes, not the 2 minute close-outs.

What sophs are you talking about at Boone would have started at any of the top 5-6 teams in the 9th? Are they starting at Highlands? What team are they starting at and who are they replacing?

Varsity minutes in crunch time are earned. I don't buy that the Boone coaching staff is going to play players ahead of other players because it is their turn. If a soph is the better player he plays ahead of the upper classman. The reason that the players mentioned above got the minutes, starts was because they were better than the upperclassmen in the program.

I have to believe it is the same at Boone

What sophs are you talking about at Boone would have started at any of the top 5-6 teams in the 9th? Are they starting at Highlands? What team are they starting at and who are they replacing?

Varsity minutes in crunch time are earned. I don't buy that the Boone coaching staff is going to play players ahead of other players because it is their turn. If a soph is the better player he plays ahead of the upper classman. The reason that the players mentioned above got the minutes, starts was because they were better than the upperclassmen in the program.

I have to believe it is the same at Boone

All systems aren't the same, so we can't really speak on what the coaching staff believes in doing. I am just stating what was mentioned in the article as far as the sophomores starting at other programs. If you don't know the players I am talking about, then you aren't familiar with their program. It really doesn't matter, next year as Juniors, they will make themselves known.