Proposed Trade: Billy Gillispie for Darrin Horn

strongopenyon

Were you calling for Darrin Horn to be coach two years ago?

No I was not.

All Darrin has needed was experience and he has it now. Experience can not be taught or coached. Class can and he has that, too!

Ask former bosses Kyle Macy and Tom Crean what they think of Darrin Horn and his basketball coaching abilities. He is a current and future star and unfortunately for UK, he is coaching at the University of South Carolina.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I was not.

All Darrin has needed was experience and he has it now. Experience can not be taught or coached. Class can and he has that, too!

Ask former bosses Kyle Macy and Tom Crean what they think of Darrin Horn and his basketball coaching abilities. He is a current and future star and unfortunately for UK, he is coaching at the University of South Carolina.

How long was Horn coach at WKU?

There is 0% chance this would be a thread if UK had beat South Carolina the other night. That makes this comical.

The real comedy is the coach currently serving as Head Basketball Coach at the University of Kentucky.

Trust me, the comedy will turn into a tragedy over time.

How long was Horn coach at WKU?

5 years, during which he produced two NIT berths and one trip to the NCAA.

I'm amazed that two years ago he didn't have experience, but one year at WKU and half of one at SC make all the difference.

I'll take the guy with three coach of the year awards from major conferences. I'm pretty sure he knows how to coach.

Also, FWIW, A&M went 22-9 in BCG's second year. They went 27-7 the next.

I'm fully aware that we normally beat South Carolina, but Rick got swept by them with a team very similar to this USC team. A tragedy is when someone dies or is ill; losing basketball games is far from a tragedy. I think you've been pulling this gray cloud around since Gillispies been here. Like I said if we're in the same shape next year I will be concerned.

5 years, during which he produced two NIT berths and one trip to the NCAA.

I'm amazed that two years ago he didn't have experience, but one year at WKU and half of one at SC make all the difference.

I'll take the guy with three coach of the year awards from major conferences. I'm pretty sure he knows how to coach.

Also, FWIW, A&M went 22-9 in BCG's second year. They went 27-7 the next.

I am not really specifically questioning his coaching ability, it is the more of the poor job he does in all facets of representing the University of Kentucky.

I understand the patience that should be given anyone starting a new position and implementing their style, but once it starts to smell, more times than not it will eventually become a stink bomb. Who wants that?

Hey Mitch Barnhart.........cut your loses now!

No I was not.

Sorry, but you just lost all credibility by referencing Macy as a coach...:notworthy:

By the end of last season, Billy G could have played with a lot of top teams in the country. In his second season, a team that lost 3 of it's top players from a year ago, and all it's scoring, he's 19 - 9, with a slight shot of going to the NCAA tournament. Forgive me if I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

Coaches come and coaches go at U.K. but the one constant is that the bashing/complaining goes on forever, only the names change. :lol:

I have questioned some things on BCG's in game coaching/adjustments (or lack there of) as well but I am not ready to kick him out or "throw him under the bus" at all. JMO but he has built a reputation on building programs at UTEP ad A&M, those were both places that had no tradition and not much was expected there. BCG is now at a place that IS tradition, the winningest program in NCAA history, 7 NC and several other final 4's, elite 8"s along with the most NCAA tourney appearances as well more SEC titles than all other SEC schools combined. U.K. basketbll is a like culture shock to him :D

So, he has to adjust himself from building where nothing was expected to continuing a tradition and expectations (some unrealistic) at a place where everything and more is expected and demanded in EVERY year, not just every now and then. JMO

By the end of last season, Billy G could have played with a lot of top teams in the country. In his second season, a team that lost 3 of it's top players from a year ago, and all it's scoring, he's 19 - 9, with a slight shot of going to the NCAA tournament. Forgive me if I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

Coaching record aside, their is a lot more responsibility to this job that he is paid over $2 million per year to perform.

He isn't close to holding up his end of the unsigned agreement.

Coaches come and coaches go at U.K. but the one constant is that the bashing/complaining goes on forever, only the names change. :lol:

I have questioned some things on BCG's in game coaching/adjustments (or lack there of) as well but I am not ready to kick him out or "throw him under the bus" at all. JMO but he has built a reputation on building programs at UTEP ad A&M, those were both places that had no tradition and not much was expected there. BCG is now at a place that IS tradition, the winningest program in NCAA history, 7 NC and several other final 4's, elite 8"s along with the most NCAA tourney appearances as well more SEC titles than all other SEC schools combined. U.K. basketbll is a like culture shock to him :D

So, he has to adjust himself from building where nothing was expected to continuing a tradition and expectations (some unrealistic) at a place where everything and more is expected and demanded in EVERY year, not just every now and then. JMO

You, as always, make good points.

As far as throwing him under the bus, before he coached his first game at the University of Kentucky, I would have liked to have thrown him on the first bus back to wherever he wanted to go.

The question is......at what point to you come to the realization that, for whatever reason or reasons, our coach is waywayway over his head in the total job description of the Head Basketball Coach at the University of Kentucky?

When do Messers Barnhart and Todd make the change because his inadequancies are only going to create more problems in time.

If the shoe don't fit, it's time for someone to quit. It won't nor will it ever fit!!!!!