strongopenyon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Horn has a very, very good PG.

Gillispie has an NAIA PG.

Downey and South Carolina shows just how big of an impact a great PG can have at the college, or any level.

I'll keep Billy Clyde, thank you. And, South Carolina can have Darrin Horn and I will wish him great success and be happy if he achieves it. Its always nice to see a KY boy do well.

I'm not the biggest Gillispie fan, but neither am I sold on Darrin Horn. I see him in the same light as Pelphrey & Travis Ford--two names that would immediately bubble up to the top in the eyes of many, if BCG left or was relieved of his duties.

Horn, like Pelphrey & Ford, may turn into a quality coach, but has yet to prove anything consistently over time. That takes experience and years. So I'm not sold on him yet; and yes, he did inherit Downey, whereas BCG inherited Porter. Big difference.

111-48 in 5 years at WKU, was in the post season 3 of 5 of those years, and made it to the sweet 16 a year ago. For such a short amount of time, he has shown he can be very consistent. And look at what he is doing with the same team who went 14-18 a year ago. Also about Porter and Downey, Billy G was actually inherited with Ramel Bradley, who actually played some pretty good ball for Kentucky a year ago. Billy Clyde had a year to recruit him a good PG, and did he? Horn is a better coach than Billy G, it's obvious.

Could you imagine being the head coach at UK and not being a bit of a pric. I mean thanks of all the people that are out to "help" you and be your "friend". Noone would ever do things to try to get their foot in the door with the UK coach.

Bottom line is he paid to win. He wins and tics everyone off, they will keep him. If everyone is buddies with the coach, yet he still loses, he is fired.

I think everyone scratches their head with him at times. I would be willing to bet, he has to scratch his head as to why at the university of Kentucky, he inherited a program with attrocious talent level with two consecutive classes. He probably also wonders how is supposed to break his players down, when all they have to do is read the paper and be told how good they are and how they should be playing more. When UK plays well, it's because of the players, when they don't, it is because of the coach. He is in a no win situation right now.

I say we give him time.

111-48 in 5 years at WKU, was in the post season 3 of 5 of those years, and made it to the sweet 16 a year ago. For such a short amount of time, he has shown he can be very consistent. And look at what he is doing with the same team who went 14-18 a year ago. Also about Porter and Downey, Billy G was actually inherited with Ramel Bradley, who actually played some pretty good ball for Kentucky a year ago. Billy Clyde had a year to recruit him a good PG, and did he? Horn is a better coach than Billy G, it's obvious.

I respectfully disagree.

Billy Clyde has more years under him, but Horn has just as good a resume. I like Horn a lot better, so this is just me talking. But I also really can't stand Gillispie either and I don't even like Kentucky.

If you don't like UK then why are you so worried.

I respectfully disagree.

I disrespectfully disagree. That comment is ridiculous and he knows it.

BCG has been in the post season 5 consecutive years, and only one of those was the NIT, and he made the Sweet 16 too.

I'm positive that 4 NCAA trips and 1 NIT trip is more impressive than a couple of early NIT exits and a miracle Sweet 16 run.

Billy Clyde has more years under him, but Horn has just as good a resume. I like Horn a lot better, so this is just me talking. But I also really can't stand Gillispie either and I don't even like Kentucky.

Two years ago Horn didn't even make the NIT.

The only year BCG didn't at least make the NIT was 6 years ago in his first year at UTEP.

Your biases are obvious.

I disrespectfully disagree. That comment is ridiculous and he knows it.

BCG has been in the post season 5 consecutive years, and only one of those was the NIT, and he made the Sweet 16 too.

I'm positive that 4 NCAA trips and 1 NIT trip is more impressive than a couple of early NIT exits and a miracle Sweet 16 run.

Hm, okay.

Billy G has been to the post season 5 years in a row, but thats 1 trip to the NIT, 2 first round losses, 1 second loss, and a sweet 16 trip. Nothing major. Horn has had 2 early NIT exits, but he was also coaching at WKU, not Texas A&M. I honestly believe Horn would get more out of this UK team than him, and the one last year for that matter. But that's just me. What do I know.

Hm, okay.

Billy G has been to the post season 5 years in a row, but thats 1 trip to the NIT, 2 first round losses, 1 second loss, and a sweet 16 trip. Nothing major. Horn has had 2 early NIT exits, but he was also coaching at WKU, not Texas A&M. I honestly believe Horn would get more out of this UK team than him, and the one last year for that matter. But that's just me. What do I know.

I understand the points that you've made. I'd just like to see how Horn does without Downey. He may excel. I hope he does. He seems like a decent guy. I don't wish him failure at all. But he may struggle too.

BCG had great success in his last two positions, as did Horn. I just don't see how Horn has proven himself to be any better a coaching prospect than BCG. Even if BCG had secured himself a solid PG, it would be extremely difficult to turn over the controls of the team to a freshman. That's why he made the huge effort to keep Jasper.

The one thing Horn can do that BCG cannot is keep from making a donkey of himself on national television. For the life of me, I don't understand why he has to be such a bullhead. I'm not asking him to enjoy interviews (and interviewers), but he doesn't have to be an idiot about it.

I understand the points that you've made. I'd just like to see how Horn does without Downey. He may excel. I hope he does. He seems like a decent guy. I don't wish him failure at all. But he may struggle too.

BCG had great success in his last two positions, as did Horn. I just don't see how Horn has proven himself to be any better a coaching prospect than BCG. Even if BCG had secured himself a solid PG, it would be extremely difficult to turn over the controls of the team to a freshman. That's why he made the huge effort to keep Jasper.

The one thing Horn can do that BCG cannot is keep from making a donkey of himself on national television. For the life of me, I don't understand why he has to be such a bullhead. I'm not asking him to enjoy interviews (and interviewers), but he doesn't have to be an idiot about it.

Horn seems like a guy who can go out and recruit, just look what he did at WKU. He should be able to land some big players while at SC. He has signed two of the top 150 players in the rivals top 150. I wish him the best there, I love the guy. Also, I can agree with that, but it didn't really seem like he was pursuing a PG hard at all. I could be wrong, but that's the way it seemed. And I agree, Horn is a good man, not a complete idiot like Billy Clyde.