Jonathan Ferguson in the Independent

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice article, also should clear up any questions obout the Ferguson kids numbers. Why would any one want to embarrass any kid by questioning his numbers?:confused:

Nice article: I agree

Clears up the numbers: Not so much

And as to whether it is embarrassing "the kid", I haven't read yet that "the kid" has put the numbers together. Simple fact is, the numbers don't add up:

Eighth grade: ??? (but do the math at "just under 10 ppg" whatever that means)

Frosh: 582 points

Soph: 727 points

Junior: 742 points

Senior: 470 points (as of date he scored #3,000)

The frosh, soph, junior and senior numbers add up to 2,511. At 10 points per game as an eighth grader, they had to have played 49 games.

The numbers are what the numbers are. Sorry.

Nice article: I agree

Clears up the numbers: Not so much

And as to whether it is embarrassing "the kid", I haven't read yet that "the kid" has put the numbers together. Simple fact is, the numbers don't add up:

Eighth grade: ??? (but do the math at "just under 10 ppg" whatever that means)

Frosh: 582 points

Soph: 727 points

Junior: 742 points

Senior: 470 points (as of date he scored #3,000)

The frosh, soph, junior and senior numbers add up to 2,511. At 10 points per game as an eighth grader, they had to have played 49 games.

The numbers are what the numbers are. Sorry.

You are right the article on the internet does not clear up the numbers, however I did not read the article on the link posted, because I had an Inedpendent paper in my possession and the article in the paper actually posted the numbers as they are. I don't know where you are getting your numbers, but here are the numbers posted in the Independent paper article.

Senior.......470

Junior........804

Soph.........797

Frosh.........651

8th grade...288

I believe that that equals 3010 total pts.

May be the reason that you seem to be confused is because I totaled the numbers you seemed to have pulled out of your hat and they equal 2521 and not the total you quoted of 2511 your math seems to be a little below Kelter!!!!!!!!

Got my numbers from the official KHSAA website for sophomore and junior seasons, and for the frosh season from the previous thread about him scoring his 3,000th. That's where the discrepancy lies. Two days ago Dale Ferguson gave me the explanation that the 8th grade points hadn't been counted previously. Now it appears that the point totals reported to the KHSAA were not the same as those given to the paper. The problem is not with my math, it's with the different point totals given to the KHSAA and to the paper. The difference for those three seasons is about 200 points - from the outset, I have just been curious as to why the numbers don't agree - unsanctioned tournaments, etc. It caught my eye that there was about a calendar year in between #2,000 and #3,000 - I figured about 30 games - and that would have required about 33 PPG. Since I had never seen anywhere that he was putting up numbers like that I asked - politely, I think, if you review the thread - whether anyone had the year by year breakdown.

I'll repeat, I like him as a player - hope to see him Saturday morning in March against my Bulldogs. But I also think it is doing a disservice to him - and diminishing what he has accomplished - if the numbers were inflated.

I'll shut up now and say congrats now on scoring all those points, whether its 2,000, 2,800, 3,000 or 3,500. He's had a great career. If anyone knows why there is a discrepancy between the official KHSAA numbers and those reported to the paper, though, I'd be interested. Thanks.

Got my numbers from the official KHSAA website for sophomore and junior seasons, and for the frosh season from the previous thread about him scoring his 3,000th. That's where the discrepancy lies. Two days ago Dale Ferguson gave me the explanation that the 8th grade points hadn't been counted previously. Now it appears that the point totals reported to the KHSAA were not the same as those given to the paper. The problem is not with my math, it's with the different point totals given to the KHSAA and to the paper. The difference for those three seasons is about 200 points - from the outset, I have just been curious as to why the numbers don't agree - unsanctioned tournaments, etc. It caught my eye that there was about a calendar year in between #2,000 and #3,000 - I figured about 30 games - and that would have required about 33 PPG. Since I had never seen anywhere that he was putting up numbers like that I asked - politely, I think, if you review the thread - whether anyone had the year by year breakdown.

I'll repeat, I like him as a player - hope to see him Saturday morning in March against my Bulldogs. But I also think it is doing a disservice to him - and diminishing what he has accomplished - if the numbers were inflated.

I'll shut up now and say congrats now on scoring all those points, whether its 2,000, 2,800, 3,000 or 3,500. He's had a great career. If anyone knows why there is a discrepancy between the official KHSAA numbers and those reported to the paper, though, I'd be interested. Thanks!

I already told you in another thread that when they awarded him the 2000 he was really at 2288 because the 8th hadn't been added by the student assistant!! That only leaves 252 to be scored in the remaining twelve games for that season which would have him at 2540 at season's end!! Add the 470 for this season and you have 3010!!

The reason the internet site's didnt agree is because all the games weren't entered which I also have already stated! I saw where the courier journal said he averaged 28.2 last season which would have been 846 but he actually only had 804 I believe!!!!!!!!!! I am sure you could go to dozens of different places and get lots of different numbers but the numbers the Independant had were what his COACH says he has and that should be sufficient for anyone!!!!!!!!!! Thank's for the congrat's if you really meant it!!!!!!!!!!

That should be enough of an explanation for anyone.

Thanks Dale for clearing it up. :thumb:

3000 is a tremendous accomplishment and something to be celebrated. Congratulations to Jonathan. He definitely has earned it.

I already told you in another thread that when they awarded him the 2000 he was really at 2288 because the 8th hadn't been added by the student assistant!! That only leaves 252 to be scored in the remaining twelve games for that season which would have him at 2540 at season's end!! Add the 470 for this season and you have 3010!!

The reason the internet site's didnt agree is because all the games weren't entered which I also have already stated! I saw where the courier journal said he averaged 28.2 last season which would have been 846 but he actually only had 804 I believe!!!!!!!!!! I am sure you could go to dozens of different places and get lots of different numbers but the numbers the Independant had were what his COACH says he has and that should be sufficient for anyone!!!!!!!!!! Thank's for the congrat's if you really meant it!!!!!!!!!!

That should be enough of an explanation for anyone.

Thanks Dale for clearing it up. :thumb:

3000 is a tremendous accomplishment and something to be celebrated. Congratulations to Jonathan. He definitely has earned it.

Well put a logical point and well explained I hope this puts and end to all of this.

Thanks Dale,:thumb:

Edited by mpspencer63
Deleted something

I think his and both of the Faulkners should as well those 3 young men have done more than they will probably ever know for Elliott County and Sandy Hook.:thumb:

After the year they Need to retire #4,#2, and #1 jerseys and put them in the Rafters

Okay, the numbers are what the numbers are, he's over 3,000. Congratulations on a great accomplishment and a nice write up.

One suggestion, though. The numbers I looked at came from the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen website, which come from the school in a stat sheet provided after the regional tournament. I didn't get numbers from any unreliable internet site or from the Courier Journal. I relied upon numbers recorded at the KHSAA website that were supplied by Elliott County. For at least the past two seasons, someone from Elliott County has underreported his point totals to Sweet Sixteen officials. Why the school would have two sets of numbers, one set that was reported to the Sweet Sixteen and one set that was reported to the Independent, is anybody's guess. Also, as Dale has pointed out several times, the Elliott County statisticians were a couple of hundred points late in acknowledging #2,000. My suggestion is to check to see that the correct numbers are reported when Elliott County punches its ticket to Rupp. At some point, when his career is over and he ranks way up there on the list of career scorers, the KHSAA review committee would undoubtedly inquire as to why there were two sets of numbers.

One more thing - and I am sincere about this - I hope to see EC at least get to Saturday morning - and if the Ninth Region representative is out, I'll be cheering for EC to get red hot from behind the arc and surprise people. I love the idea of a small school team that plays up and down the floor. If Holmes and EC are both lucky enough to get to Saturday morning, I'll see you there. I'll be the guy with the calculator.