Do you think 7th and 8th graders should play up?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be a good experience if everyone works together and handles it correctly. In our small school, four 8th graders were asked to play on the HS team but they also wanted to play with the rest of their 8th grade teammates on their 8th grade team. They were permitted to do both and the coaches worked together to minimize their conflicts. It worked out great - the 8th grade team had a super season, won lots of big tournaments and left grade school with great memories. At the same time they got to play on the high school team and got valuable JV experience and even some Varsity minutes. If they had not been permitted to play on the HS team, the HS could not have fielded a JV team that year which would have left several of the high school players not ready for Varsity without a place to get experience. All but one stayed with the same school for high school and the one who left would have stayed except she had to move several States away because of parents work.

It was hard work for the girls to go to all of those games and practices and hard for the parents to get them everywhere but there were no complaints and the girls loved it. It worked out because everyone involved (coaches, players and parents) were very decent people, cooperated fully with each other, and put team and school first. They were also able to plan and organize things which is essential.

Anyway, I believe that girls should have the experience of enjoying their grade school team and playing against same age girls. But if they are good enough to contribute at the high school level and if they are needed, there is nothing wrong at all with playing up. In the small schools, this is often essential for the team to be competitive with the larger schools.

Unless KY is willing to classify basketball, it would be really, really unfair not to allow schools to bring up middle school players.

If they're actually good enough, yes. The problem I have is that people are now bringing up a whole bunch of these girls who aren't any more talented than the average 7th or 8th grader. Coaches are trying to develop that star player out of them because it has worked for other schools. If a young'n has it, then you will be able to tell at that age, not to the fullest for sure, but you'll know. Only the deserving should be moved up.

This has been already covered in multiple revious threads, but I'll weigh in anyway...

For the sake of argument, let's assume that either the girl in question IS that good or the program is that bad where a seventh or eight grader will play varsity.

Point: In a school such as Beechwood or Holmes where the High School extends below 9th grade ( 7th at BW and 8th at HHS), I have no problem with those students who are in that high school playing on Freshmen, JV or Varsity teams. In other schools, where the middle school is offsite or totally separate on another part of the campus (ie Connor or Ryle), I am absolutely against it.

Here is my reasoning:

1)Social Ramifications:

By allowing a student up to 6 years younger than the senior class, who doesn't deal with older kids on the same scale, to spend significant time with older students, you've exposed the younger to things they may not or should not be ready for. We all know that things happen in the high school setting that do not in Jr High.

Additionally, you're taking time away from the younger's normal social development with friends ther own age. It is hard enought to make it when you spend the normal extra curricular hours with your peers, but when you change that to travel to another team right after school, its a stress these youngsters do not need.

Finally (on this point) the younger student may (will) face increased resentment from the other Frosh / Soph / Juniors that she will pass up. This will not help with normal social interaction once that child reached high school.

2) Academic Problems:

While it is not practice in most schools to give homework breaks for big games, students are expected to have developed the necessary study skills to handle the job. An eight grader at Turkeyfoot may not have the teacher's understanding when Dixie travells to Pendleton County for a game that night. In fact, if the students are travelling together, The younger cannot even work with the traditional athlete as they have differring work. Most middle school teams do not travel as far as high school teams.

3) Physical Problems:

Especially with girls, teen athletes' bodies are being taxed too much already. It is a shame to see the number of girls on the floor each night with ankle braces, knee problems and shin splints. Allowing young women to wait another year or two before enduring the more stressful routines will allow their bone and joint structures to catch up with the (typical) weight gain from puberty. It has been written over and over that over involvement at younger ages is leading to these chornic injuries in young women.

I welcome any other opinions, but this is why I feel the way I do.:thumb: