Is the Big East Overrated?

saint4

Is the Big East Overrated?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Big East Overrated?

• Yes
    • No

Do I need to explain percentages?

Yeah, if you think 5 out of 20 is better than 6 out of 20. I know what you are saying, but that's not the only way of looking at it. You are comparing the percentage of the conference that is ranked. I am comparing the amount of teams in the top 20. Everyone knows that the Big East has more teams...

Maybe they should put a disclaimer on the top 25 reading: Beware, it's not fair because the Big East has more teams.

All I know is the Big East has the MOST teams and the MOST ranked teams.

Edited by LCPATS

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they have more numbers, and are built as a basketball league. Only you get to define perameters to fit your liking???

Come on, I know you aren't really comparing the BE and the A10. Do we need to look at the basketball budgets for those conferences? The BE is a power conference in hopps, but they should be. The A10 is called a mid major conference for a reason. That's like comparing the Mac and the Pac 10 in football. You're better than that.

7 schools don't have football, and 3 of them stink. Shenanigans. UConn, UL and Pitt are also the big dogs. All play football...

:thumb:

It's an interesting argument considering the SEC is built on football...basketball is an afterthought everywhere south of Cumberland Falls. It just passes the time between football seasons...sure there are schools that rise to a high level of success for brief stints, but no one other than UK ever sustains it, nor do they care as long as the football is meeting expectations. There's little difference other than sport they focus on.

Additionally, comparing post-season results can't be done accurately since one system hand-picks a one game opponent and the other decides it on the court with a tournament.

Let's put a BCS system in place in college hoops, pick two teams to play one game to decide the title every year and see what happens...I can tell you a few things...

1. The Big East would have the same built-in SOS advantage the SEC has in football...the top dog would have a great shot at getting in the title game.

2. Florida might have won Title #2, but they'd have never been in the discussion for the first one.

3. Memphis would be Utah...always complaining about being left out with nothing they could do about it.

My guess is that an ACC vs. Big East matchup would be the odds on favorite every season.

Come on now.:idunno:

Yes!! The Big East is vastly overrated, all hype as usual. Absolute joke!:puke:

O.K., just kidding.:D

I think that the Big East is the best conference in the country top to bottom, the ACC may be better at the very top (top 2 teams or so) but that is just a matter of opinion and there are legit arguments bot ways.

Bottom line is the Big East is dang good, imo we could possibly see two teams from the conference in the FF depending on the region's/ matchups.

I don't think there will be three teams from a single conference make it.

Come on, I know you aren't really comparing the BE and the A10. Do we need to look at the basketball budgets for those conferences? The BE is a power conference in hopps, but they should be. The A10 is called a mid major conference for a reason. That's like comparing the Mac and the Pac 10 in football. You're better than that.

X is one of the top 20 most profitable programs in the nation. I'l simply pointing out that if the advantages in the Big East are so huge, they should relate to the A10. It's about far more than just being bigger than the other 5 conferences...

X is one of the top 20 most profitable programs in the nation. I'l simply pointing out that if the advantages in the Big East are so huge, they should relate to the A10. It's about far more than just being bigger than the other 5 conferences...

Outside of the Big Six conferences, only the Moutain West, Conference USA and the Atlantic 10 have an average men's basketball budget of more than $2M. And the Atlantic 10's $2.3M is more than C-USA's $2M. Not bad for a conference that doesn't have FBS football.

Anyway, if the Big East is so overrated, then what's the problem with the ratings? To those suggesting the conference is overrated, what teams should be ranked higher than the Big East teams currently in the Top 25? I assume that the most common answer will be that UK should be ranked instead of Notre Dame, and maybe at the end of the week, you'll see exactly that. But who else?

Yeah the conference as a whole has a lot of money not one program. It is a very good to great conferece for basketball. Some of the schedules in that league are crazy, but it doesn't change the fact that since they became a super conference they don't have a title. It also doesn't change the fact that the teams from that league weren't all that impressive out of conference.

Outside of the Big Six conferences, only the Moutain West, Conference USA and the Atlantic 10 have an average men's basketball budget of more than $2M. And the Atlantic 10's $2.3M is more than C-USA's $2M. Not bad for a conference that doesn't have FBS football.

Anyway, if the Big East is so overrated, then what's the problem with the ratings? To those suggesting the conference is overrated, what teams should be ranked higher than the Big East teams currently in the Top 25? I assume that the most common answer will be that UK should be ranked instead of Notre Dame, and maybe at the end of the week, you'll see exactly that. But who else?

The overrated tag from me simply is b/c coaches from the conference, fans, and the media were calling them the best ever. They didn't perform like it out of conference, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if 2 teams make the final four. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if none did.

Yeah the conference as a whole has a lot of money not one program. It is a very good to great conferece for basketball. Some of the schedules in that league are crazy, but it doesn't change the fact that since they became a super conference they don't have a title. It also doesn't change the fact that the teams from that league weren't all that impressive out of conference.

It couldn't possibly be that one reflects the other could it???

It couldn't possibly be that one reflects the other could it???

No, I'm talking about the games that were scheduled. UL and Syracuse had terrible losses and Syracuse's was at home. UL also lost a home game they shouldn't have. Their biggest win was Texas and that was ND who also got beat in Indy by OSU. The games were scheduled they just weren't that good on that schedule. If I were a coach in that league I wouldn't schedule too tough at all out of conference.

If you take the top 11 teams in the Big East, excluding USF, St. John's, Seton Hall, Rutgers and DePaul (which happens to be a bulk of the teams without football)...

The combined OOC record is 114-20. The OOC record vs. "name" opponents is 25-20 (this includes all OOC losses). And, finally, vs. BCS schools, 18-11.

I don't see anything unimpressive.

UConn and Pittsburgh are undefeated OOC with wins over Miami, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Texas Tech, Washington State and Florida State.

Syracuse lost to Cleveland State, but has wins over Florida, Kansas, Virginia, and Memphis.

The only team with a losing record OOC vs. name schools is Providence at 0-4.

Considering the way college hoops is today...parity, it takes time for teams to mesh, etc....I think they stack up quite well.

No, I'm talking about the games that were scheduled. UL and Syracuse had terrible losses and Syracuse's was at home. UL also lost a home game they shouldn't have. Their biggest win was Texas and that was ND who also got beat in Indy by OSU. The games were scheduled they just weren't that good on that schedule. If I were a coach in that league I wouldn't schedule too tough at all out of conference.

Syracuse had a terrible loss...you're right. They also have wins vs. Florida and Kansas on neutral courts, @ Memphis and at home vs. Virginia. How many teams can match Syracuse OOC?

If you take the top 11 teams in the Big East, excluding USF, St. John's, Seton Hall, Rutgers and DePaul (which happens to be a bulk of the teams without football)...

Huh? How do we get to just drop the 5 worst teams?