Is the Big East Overrated?

saint4

Is the Big East Overrated?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Big East Overrated?

• Yes
    • No

Since it's typically UK fans asking this question, ask yourself this. How would you feel about this 9 game stretch dotting the middle of your schedule?

@Georgetown

Notre Dame

@Pittsburgh

Louisville

@Providence

West Virginia

@Villanova

@Connecticut

Georgetown

Villanova

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take the top 11 teams in the Big East, excluding USF, St. John's, Seton Hall, Rutgers and DePaul (which happens to be a bulk of the teams without football)...

The combined OOC record is 114-20. The OOC record vs. "name" opponents is 25-20 (this includes all OOC losses). And, finally, vs. BCS schools, 18-11.

I don't see anything unimpressive.

UConn and Pittsburgh are undefeated OOC with wins over Miami, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Texas Tech, Washington State and Florida State.

Syracuse lost to Cleveland State, but has wins over Florida, Kansas, Virginia, and Memphis.

The only team with a losing record OOC vs. name schools is Providence at 0-4.

Considering the way college hoops is today...parity, it takes time for teams to mesh, etc....I think they stack up quite well.

Interesting stats, but why take the top 11 only? The Big East is absolutely the deepest conference in college basketball, but with 16 teams, they should be.

Syracuse had a terrible loss...you're right. They also have wins vs. Florida and Kansas on neutral courts, @ Memphis and at home vs. Virginia. How many teams can match Syracuse OOC?

Florida isn't any good, and they caught Kansas at the right time. The Cleveland St loss is worse than the win against Kansas, but you're right they did well out of conference.

Edited by Latch

Huh? How do we get to just drop the 5 worst teams?

What's the point in talking about them? Everybody knows they're not that good.

When we compare conferences to see who is the best, people typically don't spend a lot of time breaking down the bottom feeders, but you're more than welcome to.

I know, in the past, when people tout the SEC in football, they typically didn't spend of lot of time breaking down teams like UK, Vandy and Mississippi State when they were winning 2-4 games per year.

Generally, you look at the quality in a conference and the Big East goes 11 deep. Nobody else comes close...

Interesting stats, but why take the top 11 only? The Big East is absolutely the deepest conference in college basketball, but with 16 teams, they should be.

Certainly it has an advantage with 4 more teams than any other conference...but that's a separate point.

As it is, the Big East can go 11 deep with quality teams and no other conference can. It's the best. If you want to say its the best because it has more teams, that's fine. I don't have a problem with that, nor would I necessarily disagree...but, it doesn't change the fact that its still the best conference.

To be overrated you have to be above people that you shouldn't be above. So, who are they "ranked" above, that they shouldn't be. I'd say at worse the Big East and ACC are tied. The rest of the conferences fail in comparison. So really, this whole debate is really stupid.

Since it's typically UK fans asking this question, ask yourself this. How would you feel about this 9 game stretch dotting the middle of your schedule?

@Georgetown

Notre Dame

@Pittsburgh

Louisville

@Providence

West Virginia

@Villanova

@Connecticut

Georgetown

Villanova

Allow me to answer...

We'd feel the same way we do during the middle of football season when our schedule looks something like this...

@ South Carolina

vs. LSU, Alabama, or Auburn

vs. Florida

@ Georgia

@ Arkansas

vs. Tennessee

Only, we might feel slightly better since our basketball program is a little better than the football. :lol:

What's the point in talking about them? Everybody knows they're not that good.

When we compare conferences to see who is the best, people typically don't spend a lot of time breaking down the bottom feeders, but you're more than welcome to.

I know, in the past, when people tout the SEC in football, they typically didn't spend of lot of time breaking down teams like UK, Vandy and Mississippi State when they were winning 2-4 games per year.

Generally, you look at the quality in a conference and the Big East goes 11 deep. Nobody else comes close...

If you're going to discuss how good conferences are, you have to include all the teams.

Again, no other conference has 11 good teams because no other conference has 16 teams.

If you drop BC, Maryland, NC St, UVA and GT from the ACC, they look pretty good too.

To be overrated you have to be above people that you shouldn't be above. So, who are they "ranked" above, that they shouldn't be. I'd say at worse the Big East and ACC are tied. The rest of the conferences fail in comparison. So really, this whole debate is really stupid.

People were saying they were going to be the best conference in the history of college basketball. Now they might not be the best conference this year. That is why I think they were overrated. It doesn't change the fact that the conference is very good.

If you're going to discuss how good conferences are, you have to include all the teams.

Again, no other conference has 11 good teams because no other conference has 16 teams.

If you drop BC, Maryland, NC St, UVA and GT from the ACC, they look pretty good too.

That would leave the ACC with 7 teams...11-7 = 4

And again, if you what to claim the Big East is the best conference because it has the most teams, go for it. I won't argue.

But, it doesn't change the fact that they are the best conference.

The Big East isn't overrated in and of itself, but they have some teams that are....Namely Georgetown, Notre Dame, and Villanova. None of those 3 are near as good as the media makes them out to be.

Does that not bring the conference down as a whole?