Is the Big East Overrated?

saint4

Is the Big East Overrated?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Big East Overrated?

• Yes
    • No

Decourcy says the ACC is better and that the BE doesn't have an argument. GT ususally says what he says is what we should go w/.

Decourcey said that you get too many nights off at the bottom of the schedule in the BE as compared to the ACC.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decourcey said that you get too many nights off at the bottom of the schedule in the BE as compared to the ACC.

I'll gladly challenge him on this the next time I have him on my show. I'm guessing ND didn't walk out of St Johns thinking it was a night off...

It's much more like SEC football than Big 12 football...

:thumb:

I agree. The Big East is the best basketball conference without a doubt. Any talk of it being overrated is just an argument based on how much better than the rest you think they are. Nobody can argue that there is a better conference with a straight face...

Similarly, the SEC is almost always the best football conference. But, there are years when the gap isn't as wide and it's possible the conference gets a little too much credit. It doesn't change the fact that its still the best...just that the gap isn't as significant.

I don't see much point in debating how much better the Big East is than the rest...all I know is that it should be plainly obvious that it is better. You can't be rated any higher than #1, so how can it be overrated? If you think the media is excessive in its praise of the conference, that's another story to me.

:thumb:

I agree. The Big East is the best basketball conference without a doubt. Any talk of it being overrated is just an argument based on how much better than the rest you think they are. Nobody can argue that there is a better conference with a straight face...

Similarly, the SEC is almost always the best football conference. But, there are years when the gap isn't as wide and it's possible the conference gets a little too much credit. It doesn't change the fact that its still the best...just that the gap isn't as significant.

I don't see much point in debating how much better the Big East is than the rest...all I know is that it should be plainly obvious that it is better. You can't be rated any higher than #1, so how can it be overrated? If you think the media is excessive in its praise of the conference, that's another story to me.

While I think the Big East is brilliant and as good as I've seen in awhile. Don't kid yourself, there can certainly be an argument that the ACC matches up. You could certainly argue, with validity, for either to be better.

I voted no but I guess it all depends on the context of the question. The Big East and the ACC are pretty much the consensus top 2 conferences and there are too many games remaining to decide the argument now. However, if you go back to the argument that the Big East this season is the best conference ever in college basketball history then, yes they might be overrated. That was an argument made by several people in the media as well as Big East fans. The argument can be made that it isn't even better now than it was in the mid-80's. After all, in 1985 they had 3 of the Final Four teams and 6 out of their 9 teams made the NCAA tourney. Best conference this season? Close, if not then 2nd best. Best conference all-time? Nope. Not even the best Big East Conference of all-time.

I voted no but I guess it all depends on the context of the question. The Big East and the ACC are pretty much the consensus top 2 conferences and there are too many games remaining to decide the argument now. However, if you go back to the argument that the Big East this season is the best conference ever in college basketball history then, yes they might be overrated. That was an argument made by several people in the media as well as Big East fans. The argument can be made that it isn't even better now than it was in the mid-80's. After all, in 1985 they had 3 of the Final Four teams and 6 out of their 9 teams made the NCAA tourney. Best conference this season? Close, if not then 2nd best. Best conference all-time? Nope. Not even the best Big East Conference of all-time.

These are the points I've been making the whole entire time summed up nicely. I'm in no way saying the conference isn't really good. I'm just saying they did nothing out of conference to speak highly of and the ACC looks at least like a push compared against them. The overrated comment came from people being told in November that this was the best conference ever.

I'll gladly challenge him on this the next time I have him on my show. I'm guessing ND didn't walk out of St Johns thinking it was a night off...

UC did though :D, so maybe ND should figure out how to win on the road.

While I think the Big East is brilliant and as good as I've seen in awhile. Don't kid yourself, there can certainly be an argument that the ACC matches up. You could certainly argue, with validity, for either to be better.

People argue that the second best conference in college football is as good or better than the SEC every year also...it doesn't make it so.

People argue that the second best conference in college football is as good or better than the SEC every year also...it doesn't make it so.

B/c of the success of the SEC in the bowls. We're still waiting for the BE to have big time success in March.