99 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Big East Overrated?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B/c of the success of the SEC in the bowls. We're still waiting for the BE to have big time success in March.

Since they expanded to 16 teams ('06-'08)....here's a quick comparison to the ACC (which is typically the strongest basketball conference).

Big East

NCAA Tournament Bids: 22

Overall Record: 29-24

Sweet 16's: 9

Elite 8's: 4

Final 4's: 1

vs. ACC: 5-1

Losses vs. Lower Seed: 10

Losses to eventual champion: 3

National Champions: 0

ACC

NCAA Tournament Bids: 14

Overall Record: 18-14

Sweet 16's: 5

Elite 8's: 2

vs. Big East: 1-5

Losses vs. Lower Seed: 9

Losses to eventual champion: 1

I think they've represented fairly well. You can't really compare the post-season formats of the two sports because they're completely different. One sport decides it on the court, the other decides it with a computer. With the parity in college hoops now, you're not going to see any conference put 4 Elite 8's, 2 Final Fours and a national champion in the tournament on a consistent year-by-year basis.

Since they expanded to 16 teams ('06-'08)....here's a quick comparison to the ACC (which is typically the strongest basketball conference).

Big East

NCAA Tournament Bids: 22

Overall Record: 29-24

Sweet 16's: 9

Elite 8's: 4

vs. ACC: 5-1

Losses vs. Lower Seed: 10

Losses to eventual champion: 3

ACC

NCAA Tournament Bids: 14

Overall Record: 18-14

Sweet 16's: 5

Elite 8's: 2

vs. Big East: 1-5

Losses vs. Lower Seed: 9

Losses to eventual champion: 1

I think they've represented fairly well. You can't really compare the post-season formats of the two sports because they're completely different. One sport decides it on the court, the other decides it with a computer. With the parity in college hoops now, you're not going to see any conference put 4 Elite 8's, 2 Final Fours and a national champion in the tournament on a consistent year-by-year basis.

They have 16 teams they're going to win games. I would in no way say they are the best conference over the last 3 years compared to what the SEC has done in football. They are either the best or 2nd best conference. They will be next year too, but they should be. They have 8 schools that are only competing in basketball. The conference was built to be a basketball power w/ schools that spend a lot of money on basketball.

They have 16 teams they're going to win games. I would in no way say they are the best conference over the last 3 years compared to what the SEC has done in football. They are either the best or 2nd best conference. They will be next year too, but they should be. They have 8 schools that are only competing in basketball. The conference was built to be a basketball power w/ schools that spend a lot of money on basketball.

7 schools don't have football, and 3 of them stink. Shenanigans. UConn, UL and Pitt are also the big dogs. All play football...

They have 16 teams they're going to win games.

I think this is the most under stated point regarding the Big East. They have between 4 and 6 more teams than any other power conference.

It makes all the "The big east has X teams ranked!" or "The big east got X team in the tourney!" pointless.

I think this is the most under stated point regarding the Big East. They have between 4 and 6 more teams than any other power conference.

It makes all the "The big east has X teams ranked!" or "The big east got X team in the tourney!" pointless.

So if they get 9 in and the next best gets 6, it's not significant? Hilarious...

So if they get 9 in and the next best gets 6, it's not significant? Hilarious...

See post 54.

If the big east has higher percentages then fine, but the absolute numbers mean squat.

I'm not impressed by the big east getting one more team ranked when they have a 4 team advantage.

7 schools don't have football, and 3 of them stink. Shenanigans. UConn, UL and Pitt are also the big dogs. All play football...

They were built w/ the intention of being a power conference in basketball. The football conference is no good. Pretty simple to me.