Car broken into, purse stolen

nees1212

Each place a charge was made is a separate criminal offense. You need to contact the police in each of the jurisdictions a charge was made in and make a separate police report for forgery. Then that jurisdiction can attempt to retrieve the video.

I would also look into locking down your credit for the time being.

Finally, I would do some searching on the net for resources about identity theft. There is a ton of great info out there.

Wouldn't all of those charges be misdameanors because of the dollar amounts? Is this an educated criminal?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I will talk to the officer we're working with in the morning and share the additional information that we've found tonight. I didn't know about contacting the other jurisdictions. I'll talk to him about it tomorrow before jumping the gun, because I would assume he'd talk to them.

He may and I stress may talk to them but it is still up to you to contact them and report the crimes in those jurisdictions.

nees, I hate to say this but even if the officer tells you, you don't have to contact those other departments he is wrong. You HAVE to contact them yourself because he and/or his PD has no jurisdiction over those crimes.

Wouldn't all of those charges be misdameanors because of the dollar amounts? Is this an educated criminal?

Generally speaking the dollar amount wouldn't matter when the crime is forgery so all the transactions where the perps went to a business and made a charge will probably be felonies.

He may and I stress may talk to them but it is still up to you to contact them and report the crimes in those jurisdictions.

nees, I hate to say this but even if the officer tells you, you don't have to contact those other departments he is wrong. You HAVE to contact them yourself because he and/or his PD has no jurisdiction over those crimes.

Generally speaking the dollar amount wouldn't matter when the crime is forgery so all the transactions where the perps went to a business and made a charge will probably be felonies.

But wouldn't that only be if the merchant required a signature? Not trying to be difficult just trying to get an understanding for it. BTW, I'm assuming that's also why whether or not a signature is required is based off of the dollar amount? Due to the fact that it can actualy change the crime technically?

I had a similar theft happen to me a few years ago. According the the poilce officer I dealt with, any fraudulent use of a credit card is a felony, regardless of charges made. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Had this happen to us when we lived in Lexington, and the thieves spent several thousand dollars. Unfortunately, the police never attempted to obtain video or anything, even after I requested it, and when I went to pick up a copy of the police report, it was marked "closed". I advise you to get a copy of the police report and make NUMEROUS copies. I received obnoxious and threatening letters from the places the thieves used my cards, and had to repeatedly send those companies, as well as the credit bureaus, a copy of the police report. It was a hassle for about a year and a half. You definitely want to keep an eye on your credit report for the next year.

I had a similar theft happen to me a few years ago. According the the poilce officer I dealt with, any fraudulent use of a credit card is a felony, regardless of charges made. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're probably right, I just know that theft of property has to be a few hundred dollars, maybe like $500 or so. I'm sure Guru will educate us here shortly, I think he knows what he's talking about for the most part.:D

Again, generally speaking, a forged signature is going to kick anything and everything to a felony.

Here is one KRS that deals with value and it is $100 within 6 months:

434.650 Fraudulent use -- Presumption as to knowledge of revocation.

(1) A person who, with intent to defraud the issuer, a participating party, a person, or organization providing money, goods, services, or anything else of value, or any other person:

(a) Uses for the purpose of obtaining money, goods, services, or anything else of value a credit or debit card obtained or retained in violation of KRS 434.570 to 434.650, or any of such sections, or a credit or debit card which he knows is forged, expired, or revoked; or

(b) Obtains money, goods, services, or anything else of value by representing without consent of the cardholder that he is the holder of a specified card or by representing that he is the holder of a card and such card has not in fact been issued; or

© Uses a credit or debit card obtained or retained in violation of KRS 434.570 to 434.650, or any of such sections, or a credit or debit card which he knows is forged, expired, or revoked, as authority or identification to cash or attempts to cash or otherwise negotiate or transfer a check or other order for payment of money, whether or not negotiable, if said negotiation or transfer or attempt to negotiate or transfer would constitute a crime under KRS 514.040 or 516.030; or

(d) Deposits into his account or any account, via an automated banking device, a false, fictitious, forged, altered, or counterfeit check, draft, money order, or any other such document not his lawful or legal property,

is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor, if the value of all money, goods, services, or other things of value obtained in violation of this section does not exceed one hundred dollars ($100) in any six (6) month period; and is guilty of a Class D felony if such value exceeds one hundred dollars ($100) in any six (6) month period.

(2) A person who receives money, goods, services, or anything else of value as a result of a false, fictitious, forged, altered, or counterfeit check, draft, money order, or any other such document having been deposited into an account via an automated banking device, knowing at the time of receipt of the money, goods, services, or item of value that the document so deposited was false, fictitious, forged, altered, or counterfeit or that the above described deposited item was not his lawful or legal property, violates this subsection and is subject to the penalties set forth in subsection (1) of this section.

(3) Knowledge of revocation shall be presumed to have been received by a cardholder four (4) days after it has been mailed to him at the address set forth on the credit or debit card or at his last known address by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, and, if the address is more than five hundred (500) miles from the place of mailing, by air mail. If the address is located outside the United States, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Canal Zone, and Canada, notice shall be presumed to have been received ten (10) days after mailing by registered or certified mail.

Effective: July 14, 1992

===========================================

Finally, since the crimes are in Ohio you would have to refer to the ORS (the above is from the Kentucky Revised Statutes KRS) which is yet another reason the victim needs to contact the agency of proper jusirdiction and make a report.

I will make these calls now.

Hopefully your wife did not have a spare set of keys in her purse.

Luckily she didn't. However, I believe this was a quick grab and dash as they did it to another car in the lot.

I did find out this morning that they made around 6 calls on the cell phone to other CB wireless users. They also received a call in which they answered.

Something like this happened to me back in September of 1971. I was 24 at the time and still living at home . My parents house was broken into and their TV was stolen along with my Nikon Camera and my wallet . They stole a car up the street took out the back seat to transport our TV . The police found my wallet in a neighbors yard up the street , I had no credit cards at the time but they got my drivers license and SS card . This was before Ky drivers license's had your picture on them they were just a piece if blue cardboard . We made a police report and thought that it was over with . Got a new camera and TV. I moved out of my parents house and about a year later I got a call from my dad saying that the police were looking for me . I was living in Erlanger so I went over to their station told them my name . They said that someone had opened a bank account using my SS # and deposited money in it using checks stolen from a Newport Church . This was done at the new bank that I was using since I moved to Erlanger from Dayton ,for my own accounts ie (checking and savings ) . I told the police about the break-in at my parents house the year before and the Erlanger police checked with the Dayton police for the police report . We went over to the bank branch in Erlanger that I had been using and the tellers and manager identified me , then we went to the other branch in Florence where the bogus account was set up in my name and the people there said that I wasnt the one to open that account . Since I am the only one around here with my unique name the police believed my story . The police eventually caught the people who used my name to open up the other account . .

Not the end of the story . About three months later I get a knock on my apartment door and it is two FBI agents wanting to talk to me . It seems that someone using my name and SS# had purchased guns at a pawn shop in Newport using counterfeit money . Well I told them the story all over again and directed them to both the Dayton and Erlanger police . The agents said that I did not match the perps description and that was the last I heard about it . My girlfriend ( Wife now ) kidded me about it for quite a while later .

It is a funny story now but believe me it wasn't funny at the time.

Edited by KyTmcNcc

Finally, since the crimes are in Ohio you would have to refer to the ORS (the above is from the Kentucky Revised Statutes KRS) which is yet another reason the victim needs to contact the agency of proper jusirdiction and make a report.

I just got off the phone with the Norwood PD and they said there is no reason for me to be calling them. They said since the initial crime occurred in KY, it is up to that jurisdiction to handle things. He said they're more than willing to assist them, but there's no need for me to be calling as Lakeside/Crestview PD should be handling it. He did say he'd make "note" of it. :confused:

I just got off the phone with the Norwood PD and they said there is no reason for me to be calling them. They said since the initial crime occurred in KY, it is up to that jurisdiction to handle things. He said they're more than willing to assist them, but there's no need for me to be calling as Lakeside/Crestview PD should be handling it. He did say he'd make "note" of it. :confused:

That's lazy on their part. Venue for this crime can be either where the theft took place or where the card was fraudulently used. Just worked a case this year involving some girls that stole a government credit card and racked up thousands and thousands of dollars in fraudulent charges all over NKY. The amount wasn't high enough to prosecute federally, so we combined all the charges that occured in the Campbell County area (which is where most charges occurred) and prosecuted there. They got six months.

BTW, nees, make sure you contact the credit bureau and let them know what occurred. In addition, give it a few weeks and then get a credit report on yourself to make sure there are no incorrect negative reports against you or that they haven't tried to misuse your identity in other ways.

That's lazy on their part. Venue for this crime can be either where the theft took place or where the card was fraudulently used. Just worked a case this year involving some girls that stole a government credit card and racked up thousands and thousands of dollars in fraudulent charges all over NKY. The amount wasn't high enough to prosecute federally, so we combined all the charges that occured in the Campbell County area (which is where most charges occurred) and prosecuted there. They got six months.

BTW, nees, make sure you contact the credit bureau and let them know what occurred. In addition, give it a few weeks and then get a credit report on yourself to make sure there are no incorrect negative reports against you or that they haven't tried to misuse your identity in other ways.

Yeah. He took no personal information from me, so his "note" can only say "stolen card used at ATM in Rookwood shopping center."

Credit bureau and social security offices have been notified. I think we've covered all ground needed so far. I just wish I could do more investigative work, but since I'm not PD, no-one will tell me anything. :irked: