Car broken into, purse stolen

nees1212

If you have the opportunity, then don't deal with the Bank of Kentucky. This is turning into a massive headache. Each person you talk to tells you something different. I was just told that they cannot talk to me as it was my wife's card stolen, and they need to talk to her. It's a joint account, what they tell her, they can tell me. They've already given her the roundabout on this whole situation. As soon as this is settled, we're done with them.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the opportunity, then don't deal with the Bank of Kentucky. This is turning into a massive headache. Each person you talk to tells you something different. I was just told that they cannot talk to me as it was my wife's card stolen, and they need to talk to her. It's a joint account, what they tell her, they can tell me. They've already given her the roundabout on this whole situation. As soon as this is settled, we're done with them.

I had similar issues with my bank. Once I discovered my purse was stolen, I called to close my account. The told me I had to come in. I went in, and they told me they couldn't close my account because I didn't have an ID (also stolen). So, I had to go borrow money from TonyDanza to get an ID, then go get the ID, then go back to the bank to close my account. By that time, the thieves had wiped out my bank account.

My mom dealt with the Bank of KY after our incident in Hawaii, and they were a great help. Maybe it depends on which branch you're dealing with....

I had similar issues with my bank. Once I discovered my purse was stolen, I called to close my account. The told me I had to come in. I went in, and they told me they couldn't close my account because I didn't have an ID (also stolen). So, I had to go borrow money from TonyDanza to get an ID, then go get the ID, then go back to the bank to close my account. By that time, the thieves had wiped out my bank account.

We had no issue closing the account and setting up a new one. It's just the runaround we're getting with the disputing of the charges as we're constantly told something different. Then, when they tell me they can't tell me anything about my account, that got me ticked.

Your story sounds an awful lot like whats mentioned in this article. Maybe its the same people?

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090113/NEWS0103/301130041

I'm curious how they were able to track the stolen gift card. My wife had quite a few in her purse, but unless you know the numbers on the card, there's no way to track them. Now, assuming ours bought gift cards from Krogers, then they should be able to track them.

Round and round we go. Now BofKY has to have police reports from Ohio to refund my money. :madman: And they told us yesterday about the account being overdrawn, and low and behold, it shows as overdrawn today. :fight:

You doing all this stuff by phone? If so, I would highly suggest you make a personal visit to them. You'll end up with much better personal attention if you can sit down with someone face-to-face.

Round and round we go. Now BofKY has to have police reports from Ohio to refund my money. :madman: And they told us yesterday about the account being overdrawn, and low and behold, it shows as overdrawn today. :fight:

How awful. Can't they put a hold on your account so nothing can come in or out till you figure out whats going on?!! I always thought banks were supposed to work with you when it came to identity theft. Red flag with that bank.:fight:

You doing all this stuff by phone? If so, I would highly suggest you make a personal visit to them. You'll end up with much better personal attention if you can sit down with someone face-to-face.

It's phone right now, because with our work schedules this week, it's hard for us to get into their office during their hours. We have one dedicated lady to speak with, but even she has to go back and talk to the others. It seems like we're the first person this ever happened to before. :irked:

I work at a bank and to be honest, they are right in saying they can't discuss the charges on the CARD due to it being in her name. But the police report thing? Eh. We dispute things without a police report all the time. An investigation into it by our fraud department would tell whether or not it was a valid purchase or not. I know that police reports are necessary for certain things though and I don't know EXACTLY what youre doing with your accounts and such.

I hope you get all this worked out.

I work at a bank and to be honest, they are right in saying they can't discuss the charges on the CARD due to it being in her name. But the police report thing? Eh. We dispute things without a police report all the time. An investigation into it by our fraud department would tell whether or not it was a valid purchase or not. I know that police reports are necessary for certain things though and I don't know EXACTLY what youre doing with your accounts and such.

I hope you get all this worked out.

Even if it is a joint account with his name on it?

Even if it is a joint account with his name on it?

Yeah. I mean say you and your wife/husband have an account and they give you the debit card with their name on it and you go to use it in the ATM and it gets sucked in for some reason. I can't give it back to YOU, I have to give it back to him/her with the ID.

Now to be honest, if it were a situation that Nees is going through that both are on the account and it just happens that HER purse was stolen and the charges are coming through on THEIR account, I'd just talk to him about the charges on the account as opposed to the card. I mean there is a way around it, and judgement in this situation would tell you that you can talk to the husband as long as he verifies himself. But technically they are definitely right about it. The police report, I don't know. We don't require people to fill one out as far as I know. No one comes into me and says "OMG fraud charge on my account" and I go "Okay go to Boone Co. PD and then come back later mmkay?" lol. I do my best to help then and there.

That is the Bank of KY giving you the run around. They don't need Ohio police reports, they are just being difficult. However, this is one reason why I told you to be sure the KY police report notes the charges in Ohio. One thing is for sure, I would leave the Bank of KY in a New York minute once this is all said and done.

Off topic but the same game people play, everyone and their brother gets their pain meds stolen these days... Of course, every Doctors office "demands" a police report before they will refill the script but in no way, shape or form does the Doctors officer need a police report.

Everyone that doesn't want to make the tough decisions in life or doesn't want to pay up when they have to likes to pawn everything off on the police.

Again, this may sound like and excuse for the police, but this is one of the reasons the police can be difficult to deal with because many entities use the police as a pawn. Think about it, do you want your police department playing the part of public service pawns or do you want them spending their limited time and effort on serious crimes?