Car broken into, purse stolen

nees1212

Tonight, my wife's car was broken into and they stole her purse. From the time she parked her car until the time we found out it was broken into was an hour and five minutes. Within 20 minutes, we contacted all credit card companies and the bank, along with the police. The purse was stolen at Top Flite in Crestview Hills, then they hit up the Kenwood and Rookwood areas racking up over $600 in charges so far. So, from the time she parked until the time all cards were cancelled was about an hour and a half. Therefore, they had to break in right after we walked inside to get up there and rack up that much at 3 different locations. All credit cards have been cancelled and the bank has been notified. We suspended the cell phone service even though I wanted to keep it on to see if they would place some calls. And she has to call her insurance providers and the social security office in the morning as her social security number is on the pay stub she just got. Is there anything else that we need to do that we're not thinking of right now?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Sounds like you have it all covered. My GF lost her purse today and had to do all the same stuff. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row and its just a matter of hassle for you guys to get everything back straight. Sucks big time man but good luck.

Tonight, my wife's car was broken into and they stole her purse. From the time she parked her car until the time we found out it was broken into was an hour and five minutes. Within 20 minutes, we contacted all credit card companies and the bank, along with the police. The purse was stolen at Top Flite in Crestview Hills, then they hit up the Kenwood and Rookwood areas racking up over $600 in charges so far. So, from the time she parked until the time all cards were cancelled was about an hour and a half. Therefore, they had to break in right after we walked inside to get up there and rack up that much at 3 different locations. All credit cards have been cancelled and the bank has been notified. We suspended the cell phone service even though I wanted to keep it on to see if they would place some calls. And she has to call her insurance providers and the social security office in the morning as her social security number is on the pay stub she just got. Is there anything else that we need to do that we're not thinking of right now?

Call the Better Business Bureau first thing in the morning. It is actually not an issue for them, but they are good people and have seen most forms of scam both personal and business. If they can't answer your questions directly they will definitely refer you to the right people to make sure you have touched all your bases.

If you have not called the police, do that also.

I would've kept the cell phone on to see if you could somehow trace it...

Other than that, I think you're doing all that you can do. All in all a crappy situation...

I wanted to, but c-bell said I'd be responsible for all charges even though I'm letting them know that it was stolen at 6:00pm. I asked if they could place a note on my account stating this, but they wouldn't.

That sucks dude, I hate theives. Where were they buying stuff from?

They've spent $247 at Toys R Us, $203 at an ATM, and $200 at Krogers. However, the store number given online via our bank doesn't exist according to any Kroger store. I will call corporate in the morning.

The stores they used the cards at might have security camera video of the criminal(s). Check into it, or check with the police on it.

Yeah. The officer we're working with seems real cool. I'm just trying to find out everything I can and then letting him know. Toys R Us has to have cameras upfront, the ATM has it, and Krogers has them. Based on the times we have so far, it appears as though they hit up the ATM at Rookwood by PF Changs, then went to Toys R Us in Kenwood, and then hit Krogers. Come to think of it, i think there's a new Krogers up there. That has to be the one they hit as the store # probably isn't on the list yet that the other stores have.

Each place a charge was made is a separate criminal offense. You need to contact the police in each of the jurisdictions a charge was made in and make a separate police report for forgery. Then that jurisdiction can attempt to retrieve the video.

I would also look into locking down your credit for the time being.

Finally, I would do some searching on the net for resources about identity theft. There is a ton of great info out there.

How were they able to use an ATM? Wouldn't they have to know your pin number?

I don't know. There's a $203 charge on the checking account. IMO, $200 withdrawal and $3 fee. The address comes up PF Changs, which is highly unlikely. There's an ATM right next to it.

Each place a charge was made is a separate criminal offense. You need to contact the police in each of the jurisdictions a charge was made in and make a separate police report for forgery. Then that jurisdiction can attempt to retrieve the video.

I would also look into locking down your credit for the time being.

Finally, I would do some searching on the net for resources about identity theft. There is a ton of great info out there.

Thanks. I will talk to the officer we're working with in the morning and share the additional information that we've found tonight. I didn't know about contacting the other jurisdictions. I'll talk to him about it tomorrow before jumping the gun, because I would assume he'd talk to them.