Car broken into, purse stolen

nees1212

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry this has happened to our wife and you. What a mess. I hope all gets fixed and people are compliant with you. What is Top flight saying about it? They don't have cameras or anything like that? I wonder if you could get in touch with the other person who had their stuff stolen as well and compare stories and work together. Keep us posted.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nees, they are being lazy and untruthful. Call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Be nice but tell them you know the KY police have no jurisdiction on crimes committed in Ohio, a felony was committed in their jurisdiction, and you need a report.

nees, they are being lazy and untruthful. Call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Be nice but tell them you know the KY police have no jurisdiction on crimes committed in Ohio, a felony was committed in their jurisdiction, and you need a report.

Not working. I'll shoot you a PM.

This happend to us 5 years ago in Savanna , GA at abut 3:00 in the afternoon, at a Denny's . We were on our way back from Daytona. They broke the side window and grabed my backpack, I had my little purse with me, so they got my glasses and a camera and several other little things. Police were no help.

coop, to my knowledge venue cannot be in KY for a crime committed in OH on the state level unless it deals with some types of identity theft which probably doesn't apply in this case.

My case was ultimately handled at the state level. I don't see any difference in this situation. A portion of nees' crime (theft of the purse) occurred in KY. Are you saying the local KY police have no jurisdiction over this offense? The fraudulent credit card usage/forgery apparently all occurred in Ohio, so the OH police have jurisidiction over those offenses. Which apparently, they don't want to pursue, for whatever reason.

I'll speak at least federally, but we could pursue this case in either jurisdiction. In fact, it's been a common practice in the past for agents in this area to set up buys/meets in NKY in connection with investigations they have in the tri-state area, simply because the United States Attorneys Office in NKY is MUCH easier to work with than the USA's office in Cincinnati. So in theory (well, in actual practice, as I've done it before), you could have a bribe case on a guy who lives in Cincinnati, had numerous meetings with an government employee in Cincinnati about paying a bribe, but if you arranged even one single meeting to take place in Kentucky, venue could be in Kentucky. The reasoning is that part of the crime took place in Kentucky, thus venue is permissible there.

Edited by cooperstown

My case was ultimately handled at the state level. I don't see any difference in this situation. A portion of nees' crime (theft of the purse) occurred in KY. Are you saying the local KY police have no jurisdiction over this offense? The fraudulent credit card usage/forgery apparently all occurred in Ohio, so the OH police have jurisidiction over those offenses. Which apparently, they don't want to pursue, for whatever reason.

I think we both agree that the "frauds" that took place in OH are the responsibility of Norwood PD and/or the Hamilton County SO and for whatever reason they don't want to pursue them. Furthermore, the KY police have zero ability to do anything about the "frauds" in OH.

The KY police have jurisdiction over the theft of the purse which may or may not be a felony depending on value and amount of credit cards.

nees, if you can't get any relief in Ohio get a copy of the KY report, make sure all the stolen items are listed on the KY report (and ideally the "frauds" in Ohio too), and then make a bunch of copies for your records.

I believe you can lock your credit down so even you or your wife cannot even get any further credit without going back and unlocking your credit. I think there is a small fee but in my opinion worth it.

nees, if you can't get any relief in Ohio get a copy of the KY report, make sure all the stolen items are listed on the KY report (and ideally the "frauds" in Ohio too), and then make a bunch of copies for your records.

I believe you can lock your credit down so even you or your wife cannot even get any further credit without going back and unlocking your credit. I think there is a small fee but in my opinion worth it.

I'm waiting on the reports to be released. He had to update them this morning with the 2 other charges in ohio and the cell phone calls made from her cell phone. We got to turn one into AmEx and another to the bank. I'd love to know who owns those 3 cell phones, but cbell won't divulge any information to me.

The credit companies (or whatever you want to call them have been notified). For the bank account, I will be contacted immediately on anything that tries to come through even though the card has been cancelled, but they have the checks. The wife called the social security office today to let them know what happened, and that the thieves have obtained her SSN. They told her to call them back when they actually use it. :irked: There is a company out there called lifelock that we are contemplating using. It's an identity theft program, but has a monthly fee. :irked: However, it could help if they try to use her SSN years down the road.

I'm waiting on the reports to be released. He had to update them this morning with the 2 other charges in ohio and the cell phone calls made from her cell phone. We got to turn one into AmEx and another to the bank. I'd love to know who owns those 3 cell phones, but cbell won't divulge any information to me.

The credit companies (or whatever you want to call them have been notified). For the bank account, I will be contacted immediately on anything that tries to come through even though the card has been cancelled, but they have the checks. The wife called the social security office today to let them know what happened, and that the thieves have obtained her SSN. They told her to call them back when they actually use it. :irked: There is a company out there called lifelock that we are contemplating using. It's an identity theft program, but has a monthly fee. :irked: However, it could help if they try to use her SSN years down the road.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I know you are so frustrated. We are thinking about you, and praying that every thing goes ok.

Everything that Lifelock does to protect your identity, you can do yourself. It is just a matter of whether you want to pay them a fee for the convenience of having them do it.

Can you get the phone numbers off her cell phone statement when you get it?

Everything that Lifelock does to protect your identity, you can do yourself. It is just a matter of whether you want to pay them a fee for the convenience of having them do it.

I haven't looked into it too much. A co-worker of my wife suggested it.

Can you get the phone numbers off her cell phone statement when you get it?

I've got the numbers, and I know the numbers are cbell wireless issued numbers. However, I cannot find who owns those phones. There are a few websites out there where you can do reverse lookups, but they are pay sites, and who really knows what type of information they provide.

^ Call them, you would think if they knew the person calling them was in trouble b/c they stole the stuff they would cooperate. I am sure I am giving them the benefit of the doubt though lol. I tend to be too nice. Give those numbers to the cops and have them to possibly get info. A friend of mine did that when her cell was stolen.

I've got the numbers, and I know the numbers are cbell wireless issued numbers. However, I cannot find who owns those phones. There are a few websites out there where you can do reverse lookups, but they are pay sites, and who really knows what type of information they provide.

Those sites won't give you subscriber information anyways. They will only tell you (sometimes) the cell phone company to whom the number is registered (which you apparently already know). You have to contact the cell phone company to get specific subscriber information and they cannot give it out with a subpoena, although they will sometimes give it to law enforcement without a court order. Trust me - been through this process many a time during my investigations. Cell phone information can be a real pain . . . .

Have you just tried calling the cell numbers to see who answers?