Elliot County's Schedule

Hey RA09 I herd Elliotts gym is extremely small I have a ? for you. When they host Mason County later in the year will it be there or moved somewhere bigger?Thanks.

I'm sure that it will be played in the Elliott County gym with the overflow crowd watching it on big screen in a room set up for that purpose, just like it has been done all year.

Edited by gold sunrise
Fixing quote

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no excuse for the poor schedule. It's the own loss though,

You got to be joking? What games do you think EC should drop to play whichever teams you are talking about?

Outside of EC's COMMITTED district and EKC games they play a tough schedule!! South Charleston WV, BBC at Myrtle Beach Vs some very good teams, then Anderson Co, and they are trying to schedule a good Franklin Co to take the place of a game that was canceled due to snow.

Why does everyone care so much what schedules are being played in regular season, all that matters is the 16 teams that show up at Rupp and the one team that cuts down the net.

I'll give it a shot, at the risk of offending the EC posters.

Elliott County is a good team. There is no doubt about that. Any team that can average the # of points they are is doing something special and should not be taken lightly.

With that said, I think the new wave of BGP posters (who are EC supporters) have been so supportive of their team and have hyped their team / sons so much that others are caught off guard.

When you combine the above with the fact that EC was a tough team last year, but did not play the most difficult schedule, you'll attract a lot of doubters & skeptics. That's only natural. Those feelings are only enhanced further when EC plays a more established program and loses (such as Cov Cath, Mason Co., etc. last year). By no means are those losses something to be ashamed of; however, when people get on here and tout their team so proudly (and deservedly so, in some regards) then some people are going to be just as quick to point out their weaknesses.

And you can't possibly deny the fact that Elliott County has not many quality teams within the state. Whether or not that will play a role in March remains to be seen.

Good luck to EC! Here's one person who is hoping that they'll be in Rupp for the whole state to see so they can face on the best our state has to offer.

I understand that EC is required to play each team in their district twice, but I do not understand why.

As someone mentioned earlier, there are quite a few districts in NKY (33rd, 34th, 35th) that seed & only play each other once. Is that unusual? Is it a location / geographical thing?

That is an honest question. I do not know a whole lot about the 16th region in terms of geography. I do know that there are a TON of teams in NKY alone, not too mention the rest of the state and those teams across the river. Am I wrong to assume that a few schools would have a difficult time filling their schedule in the 16th region, or would simply have to travel too far to do so? I cannot think of any other justification for having to play each team twice...

Since they are patting themselves on the back for driving across the river to Reading and an hour down I-64 to Lexington, I don't they would even come for that tournament!!:laugh::laugh:

It'd take you longer than an hour to get to Lexington on I-64. I'm guessing you mean I-75, but then again, who knows. I'm just a city boy. :rolleyes:

;)

Will all you scheduling masterminds allow the bigboy to weigh in on this strange infatuation with the basketball schedule of a rural eastern kentucky high school basketball team? Keep in mind that I don't have a dog in this hunt but that hasn't stopped many of you from contributing so here goes.

I certainly can't speak for the fine folks from Elliott County but this whole questioning of the strength of their schedule must seem absurd to them. Elliott County has basically been playing the same teams in basketball for decades. This year is their "100 year flood" type of team and they have been adjusting their schedule to showcase their talent. It appears to me that over the last four years they have gone from playing the same teams they have always played at Elliott to playing their required games in district and conference play plus several tough teams that they have only scheduled to test the metal of this fine team...up to and including the defending state champions of their own state plus the nearest neighboring state of West Virginia...lest we forget they are also in what many folks believe is one of the best high school tournaments in the country at Myrtle Beach.

I may be wrong but from a distance this reminds me of when a new guy moves into a school and all the girls are sweet on him and oh how the jealous boys that have been there all along begin to talk and nit-pick in a very childish fashion. Elliott seems to be getting all the love. I think many of the state powers are just a little jealous when they get no love. People need to find something to try and discredit the new kid in town so they mean mouth his schedule...which I would think is the toughest in school history. The toughest team in Elliott County High School history is playing the toughest schedule in Elliott County High School history. Why should they be asked to do more?

Edited by Ram

What was the record of those two teams in the BBC?

OC's lose was to Cedar Hill TX who is 15-1, Cedar Hill's only lose so far this season was to King HS of Riverside Ca by 2 points at the BBC. Riverside's head coach at King is in his 8th year and his record is 199-36.

OC defeated Pickering Canada who last year entered 13 tournaments, winning 11 of them. 3 players on their team last year signed D1.

OC also defeated Myrtle Beach, their coach is 117-68 in 7 years at the school.

They won't answer that one. I tried. Elliott is supposed to be honored to get to travel to Northern Kentucky. I keep asking how many of these teams are coming to Eastern Kentucky this year.

I don't agree with them being "honored" by going to Northern Kentucky, espically since Northern Kentucky basketball is overrated and hasn't won a state title in my lifetime. But a lot of those teams are proven and feel they don't have to make that trip because there are enough good teams around here, (In my case central Kentucky) to play and if Elliot Co. wanted to play those teams they would have to come up here is probably how the coaches feel.

Will all you scheduling masterminds allow the bigboy to weigh in on this strange infatuation with the basketball schedule of a rural eastern kentucky high school basketball team? Keep in mind that I don't have a dog in this hunt but that hasn't stopped many of you from contributing so here goes.

I certainly can't speak for the fine folks from Elliott County but this whole questioning of the strength of their schedule must seem absurd to them. Elliott County has basically been playing the same teams in basketball for decades. This year is their "100 year flood" type of team and they have been adjusting their schedule to showcase their talent. It appears to me that over the last four years they have gone from playing the same teams they have always played at Elliott to playing their required games in district and conference play plus several tough teams that they have only scheduled to test the metal of this fine team...up to and including the defending state champions of their own state plus the nearest neighboring state of West Virginia...lest we forget they are also in what many folks believe is one of the best high school tournaments in the country at Myrtle Beach.

I may be wrong but from a distance this reminds me of when a new guy moves into a school and all the girls are sweet on him and oh how the jealous boys that have been there all along begin to talk and nit-pick in a very childish fashion. Elliott seems to be getting all the love. I think many of the state powers are just a little jealous when they get no love. People need to find something to try and discredit the new kid in town so they mean mouth his schedule...which I would think is the toughest in school history. The toughest team in Elliott County High School history is playing the toughest schedule in Elliott County High School history. Why should they be asked to do more?

Well said! :thumb:

Edited by Ram

They way I count it Elliott County is playing the defending state champions of Kentucky and the defending state champions of Class 3A and Class 2A in South Carolina and soundly defeated a canadian team that was 70-2 last year and 26-4 this year as well as the top rated team in West Virginia's largest class. Not all that shabby. They will be fine when March rolls around.

Well said! :thumb:

Very well said! When you play the same schedule for so long with average teams that Elliott County has played these past years, before this team, then all the sudden you have an OJ Mayo and Patrick Patterson situation. Implicating that in just one season you find yourself scrambling to find the best games you can just because of the talent rise so quick; is hard to do. We all have known about Elliott and how good they have been these past years; but there is something special about this year and the way they want it and fight for it. The circumstances of finding these games everyone wants so quick are harder to meet, especially coming from a rural area in Eastern Kentucky, where the exposure levels are never to the satisfactory of the heavy populated areas (Lexington, Louisville, and Northern KY). Elliott County's traits and similarities remind me of a Paintsville or Inez; teams from small communities that when they won the State Title's that they did, everyone looked at them and didn't think about the schedule's or what top ten teams they played in regular season. These are teams that come along once in a lifetime and nobody deserves it more than a small town with no football, volleyball, wrestling, track; where basketball is the only outlet they have to support a team that they have watched for so many decades be average; is a shame to degrade them or take anything away from them. When you look back on teams like this and remember the goodness of the story and remember the hope and ambition that it gave the young men and people from rural areas a chance against all odds; is a great tail. Teams like this give you a reason to believe that anything is possible and everything you can dream of is out there for the taking if you just work hard for it and not let the big guy knock or keep you down. Elliott County has a long road ahead of them to do the impossible but I will be going along for the ride; hoping that some good can come from such a great town when so much bad surrounds us all. ;)

Cedar Hill (TX) 15-1 - LOSS

Myrtle Beach (SC) 3-6 - WIN

Pickering (Canada) 26-5 - WIN

Southside (SC) 12-1 - Today's game

Myrtle Beach's record looks bad. Well the first 4 games of the season (all loses) they were playing their JV as starters. The entire team was competing for and winning a 3A Football Championship. That same team also won the 3A State Basketball Championship last year. Just setting the record straight in case someone missed the information before.

Another interesting tidbit on MB: Their starting point guard (Gholson) led the state in passing as a freshman, then led them to a state title just a few weeks ago as a sophomore. They are loaded with athletes and one starter was 6'6", another 6'5", and several 6'3" players.

Myrtle Beach's record looks bad. Well the first 4 games of the season (all loses) they were playing their JV as starters. The entire team was competing for and winning a 3A Football Championship. That same team also won the 3A State Basketball Championship last year. Just setting the record straight in case someone missed the information before.

Another interesting tidbit on MB: Their starting point guard (Gholson) led the state in passing as a freshman, then led them to a state title just a few weeks ago as a sophomore. They are loaded with athletes and one starter was 6'6", another 6'5", and several 6'3" players.

I think I read somewhere that Myrtle Breach has played in the last seven state finals. I couldn't find the link but if anyone else does please post it.