Elliot County's Schedule

I have tremendous respect for what is being done at Elliot Co. But I have to ask and hope for a response from someone close to the program.

Why such poor schedule. Everyone in the state knew they would have a good team coming back, and that would have enticed good teams to play them. Outside of the Christmas Tourny the toughest game outside of the region is Mason Co late, then possibly Anderson Co. Why don't they make a weekend trip to NKY or Louisville instead of playing all the district teams twice. This could only help prepare them for what I would think could be another regional title and a shot at the Sweet 16.

Morgan Co

West Carter

@ Lewis Co

@ Boyd Co

South Charleston, WV

Cedar Hill, TX

Myrtle Beach, SC

Rowan Co

@ West Carter

Lewis Co

Anderson Co @ Kentucky Preps Classic

@East Carter

Fleming Co

Fairview @ ALL A CLASSIC

ALL A CLASSIC STATE

@ Morgan Co

Ashland

@ Raceland

Mason Co

@ Russell

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy button....

They must play their district opponents twice, so there is 6 games. The belong to the EKC conference which takes up about 10 games. There is 16 of the 23 dates locked up for them....some things are beyond Elliott Co's control in terms of scheduling...it's probably not because they are afraid to play anybody, they will play them anytime and anywhere...evidence is by them playing a South Charleston team in Ky. Bank Shootout and also travelling to play in Myrtle Beach...

Morgan Co. tried to beef their schedule up from 2002-2006 and remember playing Lexington Catholic, Covington Catholic twice (one game of which was a Saturday afternoon tilt at Clark Co., the day after playing OJ Mayo and Rose Hill...and even going to play George Washington H.S. from WVA, but the tough schedule is great for exposure but WILL NOT DETERMINE the tournament fate of teams.

Elliott plays full throttle vs. anybody...they had the state champs down 7 with 2:39 or somehwere around there in the state tournament, they are more than capable of beating anybody in Kentucky, and in the game of basketball, we all know schedule means little when it boils down to that 1st round district tournament in which one special night, somebody can and somewhere around kentucky WILL shock the world....those wins and losses will not be because of the schedule a team has just completed in the regular season however. Each game is different with a different set of circumstances...I do agree that a sturdy schedule is beneficial and helps teams progress, however, it doesn't make a team win or lose when it counts during March Madness.

The only reason why I could think of that they would play the district teams twice is that the district they are in seeds. If they seed then they have to play them twice. But IDK.

You are correct they do seed,,,I do know that the coaches at Elliott County has made offers to other schools to come to Elliott County to play but as of today no takers.

Edited by mpspencer63
spelling

Easy button....

They must play their district opponents twice, so there is 6 games. The belong to the EKC conference which takes up about 10 games. There is 16 of the 23 dates locked up for them....some things are beyond Elliott Co's control in terms of scheduling...it's probably not because they are afraid to play anybody, they will play them anytime and anywhere...evidence is by them playing a South Charleston team in Ky. Bank Shootout and also travelling to play in Myrtle Beach...

Morgan Co. tried to beef their schedule up from 2002-2006 and remember playing Lexington Catholic, Covington Catholic twice (one game of which was a Saturday afternoon tilt at Clark Co., the day after playing OJ Mayo and Rose Hill...and even going to play George Washington H.S. from WVA, but the tough schedule is great for exposure but WILL NOT DETERMINE the tournament fate of teams.

Elliott plays full throttle vs. anybody...they had the state champs down 7 with 2:39 or somehwere around there in the state tournament, they are more than capable of beating anybody in Kentucky, and in the game of basketball, we all know schedule means little when it boils down to that 1st round district tournament in which one special night, somebody can and somewhere around kentucky WILL shock the world....those wins and losses will not be because of the schedule a team has just completed in the regular season however. Each game is different with a different set of circumstances...I do agree that a sturdy schedule is beneficial and helps teams progress, however, it doesn't make a team win or lose when it counts during March Madness.

Great post Nets. They are a limited by conference and District committments, but they have scheduled some pretty solids games with what dates they had left. They also have to fit in the All A Classic and actually only have 8 home games this year. They did add Madisonville and GRC as their scrimmages and are trying to work out a game with Franklin County to replace the Greenup County snow out. You must also consider home and home committments from last year. Elliott County has definitely not shied away from tough competition now or in the past. I recall they continued to play the OJ Rose Hill teams when others in the region were dropping them like hot cakes.

It sounds like Elliott Co. don't want to play away and no one wants to go to Elliott Co. But I don't understand why they went to Bourbon Co. and played S. Charleston. Also why didn't they play someone better than Madisonville at Sheldon Clark. Scott Co Dunbar, Manual, etc?

Elliott County has 7 homes games all year, so I don't think EC is worried about playing away from home. Also, EC plays in the All "A" and must leave room on the schedule in hopes of making a deep run through that tourney. People should also keep in mind that EC isn't always a top team in that state. They can't sign two year contracts(which most games have a home/home contract) with every top 10 team in the state and leave next years team to be destroyed every game they play. Also to do that would require EC to drop a lot of 16th region teams which will provide a good challenge for them in years to come.

It sounds like Elliott Co. don't want to play away and no one wants to go to Elliott Co. But I don't understand why they went to Bourbon Co. and played S. Charleston. Also why didn't they play someone better than Madisonville at Sheldon Clark. Scott Co Dunbar, Manual, etc?

Give me a break. They only have 7-8 home games.

Easy button....

Great post Nets! Hopefully that will answer many of the questions some ppl have from outside the region.

Boys it does'nt make any difference, everybody else is playing for second in the 16th region. This is probably the best 16th region team since the mid 80's. There schedule is fine and everybody else is not taking into account that Elliott is a single A school with limited resources for financial help. Bus's cost money along with hotels and meals. Money does not grow on tree's these days with a govenor cutting spending like he is.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Give me a break. They only have 7-8 home games.

How many really good in-state teams are they playing on the road? I am not talking about going to say Rowan Co. What I am saying is I believe Elliott Co don't want to go on the road and play say Holmes or Scott Co. And I'm guessing good teams don't want to go there and play. But with all th classic games going on it would be good to see them play a game or 2 on a neutral site against really good teams.

Easy button....

Great Post! :thumb:

Unfortunatly some will never see this logic, or they don't want to see it.

How many really good in-state teams are they playing on the road? I am not talking about going to say Rowan Co. What I am saying is I believe Elliott Co don't want to go on the road and play say Holmes or Scott Co. And I'm guessing good teams don't want to go there and play. But with all th classic games going on it would be good to see them play a game or 2 on a neutral site against really good teams.

How many good instate teams want to play against Elliott County? I wonder if Rick Mays' phone was ringing off the hook all summer from teams wanting to play the Lions?

How many good instate teams want to play against Elliott County? I wonder if Rick Mays' phone was ringing off the hook all summer from teams wanting to play the Lions?

I don't know the situation. And I understand that Elliott Co. don't want to go play the best teams on the road. And vice versa. Its just dissapointing that no one gets to see Elliott Co. against anyone in the top 10 this year.

I don't know the situation. And I understand that Elliott Co. don't want to go play the best teams on the road. And vice versa. Its just dissapointing that no one gets to see Elliott Co. against anyone in the top 10 this year.

I can tell you without any inside information whatsoever that I don't think Elliott has any problem whatsoever playing against anybody in the state on any court in the state. That, of course, is just my opinion.