Elliot County's Schedule

A. It DOES help to play a tough schedule; I would hope we could agree on that, for the same reason that when kids are small you want them to play against good competition. It makes you a better player to play against good competition.

B. JUST playing a tough schedule, without success, is obviously not enough. A tiny "A" school gettting drilled by big schools every night isn't going to make a run in March. Again, I would have thought that to be obvious.

C. Scott County had a tough schedule and high expectations last year and didn't achieve them. But I would submit it would have been different if they had had a Mr. Basketball in their lineup - which is what they were counting on until Bud Mackey's problems surfaced. Using the fact that Scott Co. played a tough schedule "and didn't even get to the state tourney" as some sort of justification to not play a tough schedule seems a little disconnected to me.

Elliott does not have a Mr Basketball in their lineup either!! I am sure it would be different for any lineup if they had a MrBBall OR MAYBE NOT Do you think MNH will make a deep run into state??? They have a Mr Basketball. I dont see how you get the disconnection because I dont. It shows that you can play a tough schedule(without a Mr Basketball of course):banana: and it dont amount to a hill of beans either way. You can still lose. I never stated that it was a justification to not play a tuff one either. I did state that Elliott's was tough enough. I will break it on down by saying....it means that IF YOU DONT HAVE A MR. BASKETBALL you can play a swarper of a schedule and it may not even help you get out of your region let alone make a run at state.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not against good teams it didn't. Your telling me that there weak schedule didn't hurt them against Mason County when they blew a 7 point lead in the last minute of the game? They did not know how to close out a tough opponent, plain and simple, and that comes back to getting experience doing it in the regular season.:thumb:

I don't think the schedule had much to do with it at all. A couple of Elliott misses and Mason picking up the defensive intensity had a lot to do with it, and Miller drilling a couple of near NBA three pointers in the last 2 minutes had everything to do with it.

I don't think the schedule had much to do with it at all. A couple of Elliott misses and Mason picking up the defensive intensity had a lot to do with it, and Miller drilling a couple of near NBA three pointers in the last 2 minutes had everything to do with it.

I know in those last few minutes Ferg got mobbed down low by two MC players and they wasn't even a whistle.

I know in those last few minutes Ferg got mobbed down low by two MC players and they wasn't even a whistle.

There was a debateable call or two in the final few minutes, but Mason hit some clutch shots. I thought Elliott should've tried to kill the clock a little more than they did, but that was easy to say from the stands.

Didn't Holmes also win the Defenders of the Station tournament the week end before where they knocked off TWO top 10 teams in 3 nights while also beating Tates Creek by around 30??

I don't see how anyone can question Holmes schedule when they've played four games alone in December against top 10 competition while also knocking off two #1 ranked teams. (Scott Co and Bryan Station)

Again, I don't see what Holmes has to do with EC's schedule?? :confused::sleep:

I think it would be a safe bet that outside of Scott County, the other teams that Holmes has beaten in December would not have won a single game at the Beach Ball. They really need to get out and play some nationally ranked teams to see what they are made of or it will come back and bite them in the butte in March:laugh:

Being able to handle a good teams pressure down the stretch is part of being battle tested against good teams the last time I checked, if a team has seen that kind of Defense before, then they would be a little more prepared.:thumb:

Being able to handle a good teams pressure down the stretch is part of being battle tested against good teams the last time I checked, if a team has seen that kind of Defense before, then they would be a little more prepared.:thumb:

The beat goes on...

Most of the Elliott guys have seen NBA caliber defensive players on the AAU circuit. I'm sure they aren't intimidated by anyone.

They had, they played Mason Co. earlier that season...

The beat goes on...

Most of the Elliott guys have seen NBA caliber defensive players on the AAU circuit. I'm sure they aren't intimidated by anyone.

Wow, they should have no problem against our little ole' Kentucky high school boys then...

In all seriousness, I agree that the Elliott boys have seen some tough competition on the AAU circuit but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The beat goes on...

:lol::lol:, Wow NBA caliber you say, no statement concerning Elliot surprises me anymore, come on man they probably have seen good defense on the AAU circuit but NBA? :rolleyes: