Mercer County

GusMcRae

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you appriciate what he has done for Mercer and he has never done anything to you how bout getting the knife you have put in his back out of it. With you agreeing with what people are saying and all it sure does sound like to me you want him gone. My rant is because I am tired of people wanting coaches gone all the time because they don't agree with what they are doing. Get a degree and apply for the job, but wait you have to be qualified to get one of those head coaching jobs. Like maybe playing at the college level and once again people coaching little league does not make you qualified to be a head high school!!

There are a number of coaches in HS, College and the pros that never played a down of college football. Andrew Coverdale (Trinity's OC) is considered to be one of the top guys in the nation when it comes to offense and he never played past MS. Playing and coaching are 2 different skill sets. Mike Leach played HS ball but was on the bench 99% of the time, no college football and I think he turned out ok.

Bringing up The Bear is not exaclty a great comparision. He was a college coach which is a different animal. A large majority of what he did both on and off the field would not fly these days. Colleges have cut down a great deal on what they allow their HCs when it comes to what the do away from the program. As the HC you are the face of the program. Another aspect of the Bryant comparision is your talking about a time when people looked the other way or just did not talk about certain things. Its not the same now.

I have no side in this thing but the idea of just because someone is good with Xs and Os ad wins games/titles does not justify looking the other way on certain things. Also playing experience is the not the way to measure coaching ability.

There are a number of coaches in HS, College and the pros that never played a down of college football. Andrew Coverdale (Trinity's OC) is considered to be one of the top guys in the nation when it comes to offense and he never played past MS. Playing and coaching are 2 different skill sets. Mike Leach played HS ball but was on the bench 99% of the time, no college football and I think he turned out ok.

Bringing up The Bear is not exaclty a great comparision. He was a college coach which is a different animal. A large majority of what he did both on and off the field would not fly these days. Colleges have cut down a great deal on what they allow their HCs when it comes to what the do away from the program. As the HC you are the face of the program. Another aspect of the Bryant comparision is your talking about a time when people looked the other way or just did not talk about certain things. Its not the same now.

I have no side in this thing but the idea of just because someone is good with Xs and Os ad wins games/titles does not justify looking the other way on certain things. Also playing experience is the not the way to measure coaching ability.

Very well put!:thumb:

You bring up the exceptions, but not the rule. There are many more that never played a down in HS or college that tried to coach and are absolutely horrible. Coverdale didn't exactly work out when he took his stab at being a head coach. Why? Was he considered one of the top guys in the nation then?

In all of my 8 years of playing high school and college, I don't think I played for anybody that didn't play through high school and that went for assistant coaches as well.

Personally, as a player, I would have had a hard time playing for somebody who hadn't gone through the same things I was going through. The rigors of fall camp is a good example. I'm not so sure how I or any of my teammates would have responded to someone being critical, pushing us, etc. when it was 95 degrees under a shade tree when in fact they hadn't even been through it themselves.

As far as those who were apart of teams but didn't star or even play for that matter, yet were out there everday busting their humps--those individuals probably deserve the most respect in my opinion. I don't think it's a matter of whether you actually "played" or not, but whether or not you were apart of something and more importantly, stuck with it---at least in high school. Now, I know there are specific instances that might have caused one not to play in high school at one point in time and I understand that---I'm speaking in general here.

Of all the people you played for did you know their playing history? I have to assume since you said you do not think it means you did not know. I explained the Coverdale HC earlier. Coverdale has been considered one of the top guys in the nation for a number of years dating back to his days with Dan Robinson. He has helped write 4 books which many consider some of if not the best text on the passing game. If you do not coach then more than likely you never heard of Coverdale until he got to Trinity.

I think you might be surprised by the people they did not play college ball that were very good coaches (Bowden did not play HS ball). It is a simple fact of playing experience does not equal the ability to coach or to be a good coach. It just does not. Two completely different things.

My post was directed at Golden Eagles idea that you have to have played college football to be a HC or to be a good one. Coaching is teaching. It is understanding the game and teaching. Players respect knowledge. A player is not going to care what you playing expereince is if you do not know what you are talking about. If you know what you are talking about and can communicate that information then they will not care at what level you played.

Of all the people you played for did you know their playing history? I have to assume since you said you do not think it means you did not know. I explained the Coverdale HC earlier. Coverdale has been considered one of the top guys in the nation for a number of years dating back to his days with Dan Robinson. He has helped write 4 books which many consider some of if not the best text on the passing game. If you do not coach then more than likely you never heard of Coverdale until he got to Trinity.

I think you might be surprised by the people they did not play college ball that were very good coaches (Bowden did not play HS ball). It is a simple fact of playing experience does not equal the ability to coach or to be a good coach. It just does not. Two completely different things.

My post was directed at Golden Eagles idea that you have to have played college football to be a HC or to be a good one. Coaching is teaching. It is understanding the game and teaching. Players respect knowledge. A player is not going to care what you playing expereince is if you do not know what you are talking about. If you know what you are talking about and can communicate that information then they will not care at what level you played.

Didn't mean to stir any pots here, but since you wondered---yes, I know all of my high school coaches and college coaches, most of them I still keep in contact with them. So, yes, I know for sure. I know exactly who Coverdale is, don't know him personally. This isn't a knock towards him, he's an oddity to the profession---just like a few others out there.

You have a few that are exception to the rules like Bowden ( I don't know for sure, but will take your word on it) and a small handful of others that you mentioned. Like anything in life though, you will always have a few exceptions to the general rules.

You are right, players respect knowledge. Even moreso, I think players respect experience. I think they both go hand in hand, though. One improves the other and vice-versa---for the most part. I think most players find comfort in knowing that their coach(es) have been through the exact same instances that they, themselves are going through.

You couldn't be more correct on the fact that coaching and playing are opposites. I completely agree that just because you played doesn't necissarily mean you can coach well. However, if you haven't played, it limits you in coaching ability for two reasons 1) Knowledge 2) Experience--both working hand, in hand. Well, let me rephrase that--it may not limit as much as it does keeping you from being in the upper tier. (Again, for most cases)

Ill bet that if you research most successful high school and college head coaches, that the vast, vast majority of those played the game (through high school) or were at least apart of the team, puting in work everyday except gameday. Again, I know there are those who are exceptions to that rule. May a big congratulations go to them.

I don't know about you, but I'm in the process of getting a house built and I sure didn't go with the guys who might have worked a couple summers around construction sites and who have loaded up on self-help construction books from Barnes and Noble, avid watchers of "This old House" with Bob Vila and "Extreme Home Makeover". I went with the guys who had been there, done that, been around the block and then some---- who also happen to be "students" of construction.

You bring up the exceptions, but not the rule. There are many more that never played a down in HS or college that tried to coach and are absolutely horrible. Coverdale didn't exactly work out when he took his stab at being a head coach. Why? Was he considered one of the top guys in the nation then?

Exactly the point. Every facet in life has its exceptions and every facet has its rule

Didn't mean to stir any pots here, but since you wondered---yes, I know all of my high school coaches and college coaches, most of them I still keep in contact with them. So, yes, I know for sure. I know exactly who Coverdale is, don't know him personally. This isn't a knock towards him, he's an oddity to the profession---just like a few others out there.

You have a few that are exception to the rules like Bowden ( I don't know for sure, but will take your word on it) and a small handful of others that you mentioned. Like anything in life though, you will always have a few exceptions to the general rules.

You are right, players respect knowledge. Even moreso, I think players respect experience. I think they both go hand in hand, though. One improves the other and vice-versa---for the most part. I think most players find comfort in knowing that their coach(es) have been through the exact same instances that they, themselves are going through.

You couldn't be more correct on the fact that coaching and playing are opposites. I completely agree that just because you played doesn't necissarily mean you can coach well. However, if you haven't played, it limits you in coaching ability for two reasons 1) Knowledge 2) Experience--both working hand, in hand. Well, let me rephrase that--it may not limit as much as it does keeping you from being in the upper tier. (Again, for most cases)

Ill bet that if you research most successful high school and college head coaches, that the vast, vast majority of those played the game (through high school) or were at least apart of the team, puting in work everyday except gameday. Again, I know there are those who are exceptions to that rule. May a big congratulations go to them.

I don't know about you, but I'm in the process of getting a house built and I sure didn't go with the guys who might have worked a couple summers around construction sites and who have loaded up on self-help construction books from Barnes and Noble, avid watchers of "This old House" with Bob Vila and "Extreme Home Makeover". I went with the guys who had been there, done that, been around the block and then some---- who also happen to be "students" of construction.

Preach on Brother- you are dead on about"This old House"

I think there are some things that some how are lost in translation.

I think we agree that one does not have to play college ball to be a good coach. I am not limiting this to HC but coaches in general.

As stated before we agree that playing does not translate into the abilty to coach.

I never said someone did not know their coaches or were not friends with them. From the comment "In all of my 8 years of playing high school and college, I don't think I played for anybody that didn't play through high school and that went for assistant coaches as well." The I don't think portion seemed to mean that one was not sure the complete playing careers. I do not find it odd players not going the playing careers of those that coached them.

"Was he considered one of the top guys in the nation then?" refering to Coverdale was ased by blockbuster. So my response about Coverdale was more directed toward this question. Coverdale is a name well known among those that coach or have close ties to coaching. I was not implying one did or did not know him just answering the question put forth. I also explained what I had been told about what happened when he took the HC job in IN.

I do not agree that playing equals knowledge. There is a ton of ways to gain knowledge. Top tier or good coaches are great teachers and motivators. There are a number of different ways to go about it or get the job done (the book Coaching Matters does a good job of showing this) but in the end it comes down to how well you can teach it and how well you can motivate.

Brian and Brandon both were sophmores on the 87 team and yes they were fast. I know Brian very well and I am sure that even he would admit that he wasn't as fast as the Danville running backs.

Brandon was an '89 graduate and Brian was a '90 graduate. Brian was as fast as the Danville guys....as a matter of fact he ran several of their running backs down numerous times in the '88 game. Brandon was a quick guy...but not what you would call "fast".

Brian and Brandon both were sophmores on the 87 team and yes they were fast. I know Brian very well and I am sure that even he would admit that he wasn't as fast as the Danville running backs.

Brian said, and I quote, and before I quote, don't get mad at me, but he said, "they must not know me very well because I ran down Donnie Redd."

Brandon was an '89 graduate and Brian was a '90 graduate. Brian was as fast as the Danville guys....as a matter of fact he ran several of their running backs down numerous times in the '88 game. Brandon was a quick guy...but not what you would call "fast".

I work with both of them and I have always been told of their athletic prowess while they were at Mercer County. They are both only a couple of years older than me, but when you watch their kids play sports, it is easy to tell that they received their athletic ability from their fathers.