Mercer County

GusMcRae

It might have been Lindsey Wilson. I think it was somewhere that is starting up a football program. I heard that rumor a week before Boyle and Mercer played.

Marty Jaggers has been in contact with Lindsey Wilson and President Lucky, and they have been in contact with him. That has come from those at LW. Now they have probably been in contact with several others too. I wouldn't be shocked if LW picked Jaggers or other successful HS coaches from the state that can retire or have proven themselves.

MartyJaggers,Sam Harp, Mark Peach(currently at Anderson, former Cville Univ head man), Leon Hart (Ashland HC, longtime EKU off. coordinator), Mark Brown (formerly Nelson County, current HC at John Hardin, etc.

I mentioned on a post before that I don't understand why some at Mercer are upset or have seemed constantly unhappy with Jaggers and what he has helped build at Mercer. He's done more in the past four year span at that school than anybody has, ever, premerger and post merger combined.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE=golden eagle;3109411]You people kill me!!!!!! Who do you think you are going to get as a coach Jesus himself!!! You are talking all that noise about a coach this and a coach needs to do this. Have any of you ever coached and little league does'nt count!! Everybody has something they are not good about, but Marty Jaggers is a very good football coach, he won a state title, how many coaches can say that!!! Parents are the worst they don't know a thing, you parents kill me if your boy does'nt get the ball enough you complain, if he is not in on every down you complain. Get a grip people you would complain if you had Bear Bryant. You really would complain about the example part because the man loved his whiskey and woman. Get off Marty's back he has done a great job there!!!!!!!!!!!

:scared::laugh:

I guess these days being hard working and good at what you do is not a good example for kids.

I would be excited to get rid of the coach that has won all but one of the schools entire playoff games in their history. I hope he does leave so Mercer can go back to the powerhouse they was before his arrival. You all remember the one where 5-5 was a successful year. Go Titans:laugh::thumb:

Mercer is in better shape than before Jaggers arrived. I also have a very fond memory of him from a few years ago. After Mercer came back and defeated North Laurel in the 2005 Ft Harrod Bowl, when shaking hands with the teams, Coach Jaggers, whom I have never met, shook my son's hand firmly, looked him in the eye and told him what a great game he played. My son had played one of the best games of his high school career and while it did not console him on the loss, I can tell you as a father how much that meant to me. He showed great class and I appreciated that. I would gladly let any of my children or future grandchildren play for Marty Jaggers.

You people kill me!!!!!! Who do you think you are going to get as a coach Jesus himself!!! You are talking all that noise about a coach this and a coach needs to do this. Have any of you ever coached and little league does'nt count!! Everybody has something they are not good about, but Marty Jaggers is a very good football coach, he won a state title, how many coaches can say that!!! Parents are the worst they don't know a thing, you parents kill me if your boy does'nt get the ball enough you complain, if he is not in on every down you complain. Get a grip people you would complain if you had Bear Bryant. You really would complain about the example part because the man loved his whiskey and woman. Get off Marty's back he has done a great job there!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really not complaining (except for trying to make sense out of your rant):rolleyes: but instead just stating the facts and correcting a previous poster. Please, feel free to correct me if I am posting anything that is incorrect.

I do not have a child playing for Marty but instead I am a loyal follower of Mercer Co. sports. I very much appreciate what Marty has done with the football program and personally he has done nothing to me to want him gone. However, facts are facts and things are what they are.:rolleyes:

I am really not complaining (except for trying to make sense out of your rant):rolleyes: but instead just stating the facts and correcting a previous poster. Please, feel free to correct me if I am posting anything that is incorrect.

I do not have a child playing for Marty but instead I am a loyal follower of Mercer Co. sports. I very much appreciate what Marty has done with the football program and personally he has done nothing to me to want him gone. However, facts are facts and things are what they are.:rolleyes:

Well if you appriciate what he has done for Mercer and he has never done anything to you how bout getting the knife you have put in his back out of it. With you agreeing with what people are saying and all it sure does sound like to me you want him gone. My rant is because I am tired of people wanting coaches gone all the time because they don't agree with what they are doing. Get a degree and apply for the job, but wait you have to be qualified to get one of those head coaching jobs. Like maybe playing at the college level and once again people coaching little league does not make you qualified to be a head high school!!

Politics are involved in being a head coach and it seems to me that Marty Jaggers doesn't either have time for politics or he made the wrong enemies. I don't care if he stays or goes, I can only tell you what people I work with say and those who have kids that play for Jagger have said. I believe I also said that his support is 50-50 at the moment. There are those who want him gone and there are those who want him to stay. Very little people who want him gone want him gone because of his coaching ability. It has been stated more than once, he is not wanted out because of x's and o's, or the johnny's and the joe's. It is more or less rumors and innnuendo about Marty Jaggers that has created this rift between the Jagger backers and the Jaggers back stabbers. I don't think you will find a person who doesn't appreciate what he has done for Mercer, but that doesn't mean they want him as their coach and that is their right. I appreciate everything Bobby Bowden has done for Florida State, but the sooner Bowden is gone, the better.

Mountain Thunder, I remember the game that you are talking about. Didn't you guys have a real good player that got hurt during the game? Did he end up going to UK? Thanks!

You are correct. The player North lost in the 2nd quarter was Chris Cessna who is a redshirt freshman at UK this season. He blew his knee out about the time North was ahead 20-8 in either the 2nd of 3rd quarter. Mercer made a great comeback and won 23-20. I really think that losing him took some of the wind out of the Jags sails that night. He tried to come back in but could barely move. He actually played the next 2 games on it not realizing that it was actually blown, but you could tell he wasn't himself. Great kid. He blew his other knee last year during the spring at UK and redshirted. Still hasn't gotten his speed back yet, but when it comes, he will be a contributer for the Cats.

Like I said though, Jaggers was very classy to my son and the other kids. I believe it was his very first game as the Mercer County coach. I will never forget that.

Edited by MountainThunder

I have the unique advantage of being close to many, many coaches while they are coaching their games and although I do see a big difference in what I consider to be coaching ability and would obviously love for my own son to play for the best coach possible, I have only observed one coach that I would not allow my son to play for. That would be Coach Jaggers. There are others I would not be thrilled for him to play for, but would allow him to. I offer this only as one more opinion (and we all know what the average opinion is worth). But I played football and also coached small college football. It is absolutely not an X's and O's reason, the man knows football.

Edited by 64black&gold
punctuation error

You people kill me!!!!!! Who do you think you are going to get as a coach Jesus himself!!! You are talking all that noise about a coach this and a coach needs to do this. Have any of you ever coached and little league does'nt count!! Everybody has something they are not good about, but Marty Jaggers is a very good football coach, he won a state title, how many coaches can say that!!! Parents are the worst they don't know a thing, you parents kill me if your boy does'nt get the ball enough you complain, if he is not in on every down you complain. Get a grip people you would complain if you had Bear Bryant. You really would complain about the example part because the man loved his whiskey and woman. Get off Marty's back he has done a great job there!!!!!!!!!!!

First, I don't think having coaching experience is the only qualifier for one to determine what is right or wrong, morale or immorale, first class or no class, etc. Uhh, sometimes common sense and ethics kicks in.

I don't think you're gettin' it 'golden eagle'. Most every poster on here agrees that Jaggers knows football, the x's and o's and has done a good job at Mercer. I haven't read where anyone is saying he doesn't know the game. Bottom line he is a good football coach. So it is not about wins and losses at this point.

BUT, Mercer would like a coach that knows the game as well as has class, respects his co-workers, sets good example for his players and is respected out in the community. I never read anything on here about Larry French, Chuck Smith, Ivan McGlone or Sam Harp just to name a few who are great coaches but have no class or respect for anyone but themselves. Is there anything wrong with a Mercer parent and/or fan wanting both qualities in a coach? And... you think its just Mercer football parents? Poll the schools and community, the results would amaze you. We wish Marty well... just somewhere else. I think he's done all he can do at Mercer... heck, he's won a state title there, what else is there?

Hey for $15 bucks a year we all get to get on here and give our own little opinions... isn't it great!:thumb:

Edited by maddog22
sp

If was Marty I get out of there and keep coaching somewhere else. Life is way to short to deal with all that junk!! Everybody has faults and for the most part Marty is a good guy. Remember this, the meek may inherit the earth but the meek have never won a football game.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

To many people want to judge based on what they heard from a friend etc. You will be sorry if Marty leaves. Also, somewhere there was this saying that started something like this "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". None of us are perfect. Give the guy a break and at least speak to him face to face instead of this public bashing. If you are one that is throwing those stones I hope you aren't livinng in a glass house. Hang in there Marty. Some of us are gonna be on your side regardless. You've done a great job at Mercer. We want you to do what makes you happy!! Happy Turkey Day to all!:thumb:

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I doubt Mercer would be sorry if Marty left. He has a fine coaching record and he has done good things for Merceer, but I think Mercer would be sorry if they hired a bad replacement, not necessarily if Jaggers left. They have great facilities which would entice a coach to come to Mercer. I was at the sports complex last night and it is top notch and I don't think there are many schools in this area that have those kind of facilities. They have a great little league program and a tremendous talent pool because of the merger. They have and always will get great support from the community regardless of who the coach is. Mercer County would be a great place to coach. I don't think it would be too hard to find a replacement. From the outside looking in as a Boyle County fan something needs to be done, whether he reinvests himself into the team and school or he moves on. Watching the freshmen play this year, they were disorganized and they haven't gotten better from the 8th grade in my opinion which is a shame because the freshmen class will have a say in how good Mercer is over the next few years. A few people with ties to the program said they got the sense that "his heart wasn't in it like it used to be". These might be things that they heard from a friend or whatever, but when people that close to the program are talking like this, then something needs to be done.