Mercer County

GusMcRae

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be excited to get rid of the coach that has won all but one of the schools entire playoff games in their history. I hope he does leave so Mercer can go back to the powerhouse they was before his arrival. You all remember the one where 5-5 was a successful year. Go Titans:laugh::thumb:

I would be excited to get rid of the coach that has won all but one of the schools entire playoff games in their history. I hope he does leave so Mercer can go back to the powerhouse they was before his arrival. You all remember the one where 5-5 was a successful year. Go Titans:laugh::thumb:

You mean kinda like the last 2 years under Jaggers?

Be careful what you wish for. Even with the record the past two years he doubled the playoff wins in school history before his arrival. I just cant believe a program that hadnt won a playoff game since 1988 before Jaggers arrival isnt naming him mayor much less trying to run him out of town. Nice program.

You mean kinda like the last 2 years under Jaggers?

3 of those 5 teams made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and the other 2 are still playing.Their won-loss record is currently 47-14.The team they lost to in Tenn. is currently playing in the 4A semi finals.

The attitude of trying to run him out of town has nothing to do with wins and losses whatsoever. I was told this afternoon that with the right superintendent, that Marty Jaggers would stay. A lot of Jaggers' disappointment at Mercer has to do with what he can and can't get for the football team. One example is that he was very upset with the school board over the transportation to the Tennessee game. The chartered buses were paid for, but the school board rejected that and made them wait until all the school buses had dropped off all the students after school and so they ended up arriving at their Tennessee game about an hour late. He let everyone in the area know how disappointed he was after the game when he was interviewed by the Advocate Messenger. I don't remember the quote verbatim but he insinuated that until Mercer treats their football team like that team they played in Tennessee, then they won't be one of the better programs in the state of Kentucky.

The people around Mercer who want him to go may be less enamored with his morals, not so much his coaching.

Me myself, I am a Boyle County fan, my son is at Boyle County and I work in Mercer. A lot of people I work with would like to see Jaggers gone and David Buchanon brought in. I know one parent of a football player who was very upset with Marty Jaggers after the Perry County game because of an injury his son sustained when he felt his son shouldn't have even been in the game.

Needless to say, there are a lot of mixed emotions about Jaggers. I know some who want him gone and some who want him to stay. Should be interesting.

The attitude of trying to run him out of town has nothing to do with wins and losses whatsoever. I was told this afternoon that with the right superintendent, that Marty Jaggers would stay. A lot of Jaggers' disappointment at Mercer has to do with what he can and can't get for the football team. One example is that he was very upset with the school board over the transportation to the Tennessee game. The chartered buses were paid for, but the school board rejected that and made them wait until all the school buses had dropped off all the students after school and so they ended up arriving at their Tennessee game about an hour late. He let everyone in the area know how disappointed he was after the game when he was interviewed by the Advocate Messenger. I don't remember the quote verbatim but he insinuated that until Mercer treats their football team like that team they played in Tennessee, then they won't be one of the better programs in the state of Kentucky.

The people around Mercer who want him to go may be less enamored with his morals, not so much his coaching.

Me myself, I am a Boyle County fan, my son is at Boyle County and I work in Mercer. A lot of people I work with would like to see Jaggers gone and David Buchanon brought in. I know one parent of a football player who was very upset with Marty Jaggers after the Perry County game because of an injury his son sustained when he felt his son shouldn't have even been in the game.

Needless to say, there are a lot of mixed emotions about Jaggers. I know some who want him gone and some who want him to stay. Should be interesting.

You'd need to check the facts on the whole charter bus thing. It didn't happen exactly as you stated, but I know that is the story Jaggers has told everyone... Charter buses have to be approved by the board and it was never presented to the board for their approval until the day before they were to leave... that isn't proper procedure... At least that is the word from one of the board members Jaggers' referred to in his Advocate Messenger article.

Jaggers knows x's and o's, no doubt about that. There are just a few other attributes or lack thereof that have some of the Mercer folks fed up. You can't deny his winning record and playoff game stats. But the past two years, 5-5 or 6-5, whatever... Mercer had many seasons like that before.

The attitude of "trying to run him out of town" probably has nothing to do with wins-losses.

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head there. Its not about the wins and losses and anyone in Mercer Co. or close to the football program would know about that. I hear the fans and parents talking about what they want is a good role model, someone the kids respect, a coach respected by the community, his coaching staff (which that goes both ways, assistants respect the head coach and head coach respects the assistants), etc.

I dunno... it'll be interesting to see what happens.