Mercer County

GusMcRae

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Not many, but in my opinion, with the talent that they have because of the merger and the talent that they will now continue to have, district titles and playoff wins are something that should carry on regardless of who the coach may end up being.

Sorry, have to disagree with on that. Good talent will not always win out over bad coaching. Look at Boyle last year compared to this year. What's the difference?

Mercer has had a couple of bad coaches in the past that set the program back when the program was in good shape.

A good coach is a must regardless of talent level.

Not to take anything away from coach Jaggers, but Ray Charles could have seen that championship trophy at the beginning of the year of the merger. Heck, with Mercers talent that year, Helen Kellar could have started as quarterback.:D All kidding aside, I'm glad each of those young men on that team had the opportunity to win a state championship. It's something they'll never forget.

It does take a good coach/coaching staff to keep the talent playing each year and not roaming the halls. But from what I hear at work(I work in Mercer), coach Jaggers has lost the support from most of the community since that championship year. In my opinion, there are two ways you can look at this: 1) Coach Jaggers didn't get the head coaching job at mercer for having a reputation as a bad coach or a record that was anything but impressive. or 2) You don't lose the support of your loyal titan community overnight, apparantly it took more than one or two bad judgement calls to cause this much uproar about the future of thehead coaching spot.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight, i'm just giving you guys an outsiders prospective. Whatever happens, I look forward to the rivalry games between our programs.

Not to take anything away from coach Jaggers, but Ray Charles could have seen that championship trophy at the beginning of the year of the merger. Heck, with Mercers talent that year, Helen Kellar could have started as quarterback.:D All kidding aside, I'm glad each of those young men on that team had the opportunity to win a state championship. It's something they'll never forget.

It does take a good coach/coaching staff to keep the talent playing each year and not roaming the halls. But from what I hear at work(I work in Mercer), coach Jaggers has lost the support from most of the community since that championship year. In my opinion, there are two ways you can look at this: 1) Coach Jaggers didn't get the head coaching job at mercer for having a reputation as a bad coach or a record that was anything but impressive. or 2) You don't lose the support of your loyal titan community overnight, apparantly it took more than one or two bad judgement calls to cause this much uproar about the future of thehead coaching spot.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight, i'm just giving you guys an outsiders prospective. Whatever happens, I look forward to the rivalry games between our programs.

:lol:

Sorry, have to disagree with on that. Good talent will not always win out over bad coaching. Look at Boyle last year compared to this year. What's the difference?

Mercer has had a couple of bad coaches in the past that set the program back when the program was in good shape.

A good coach is a must regardless of talent level.

I agree with that somewhat. Mercer is not being set back now. All I wassaying is that Marty Jaggers is a good enough coach to at least keep winning their district with the talent that is coming up. Winning state will always be hard for Mercer because of the upper echelon of schools in 5A that have more talent and great coaching such as Highlands, Covington Catholic, Christian County, John Hardin, Johnson Central, and of course Bowling Green.

I definitely agree that coaching is the difference with Boyle, and it is also a difference at Boyle because key players who wouldn't play for Pardue played for French and that made just as much difference without the bad coaching by Pardue.