Mercer County

GusMcRae

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got on the KHSAA site and found where Mercer won 40% of their games during the 90's but they didn't have the 70's or 80's. They did have Meade County's during the 90's who won 63 %.

Mercer had a couple of bad coaches and not a lot of talent during the mid and late 90's. Mercer's problem has always been a lack of speed until the merger. IMO, in 1986 and 1987 Mercer had a better team than Danville but Danville had too much speed for Mercer. Basically, all Danville had to do was hand it off to their tailback and he would go around the end for 5 to 100 yards.

Boyle fan here, but I saw that Mercer team play multiple times that year, including the state championship. That year, I believe Bowling Green and Covington Catholic played in the 3A state championship. I am not sure if Mercer would have won 3A, but I am sure that those two teams in the finals were the only 2 teams in 3A that might have beaten them. I truly believe that the state championship Mercer team was one of the top 7 teams overall in the state that year, and yes, Russell was that good that year as well. That Mercer team was a very special team and in my opinion it would have taken the best Covington Catholic team ever from 2006 to beat them. I think they would have beaten Bowling Green that year and probably Covington Catholic as well. We'll never know, but that is my opinion. They were that good.

I agree! Nobody, could stop their running game and their defense was top notch. People, tend to forget that before the merger H-Burg would only have around 20 football players with only about 13 that actually played. That's not a big addition when the school merged. However, no way would Mercer have won the state if they had not merged.

Mercer had a couple of bad coaches and not a lot of talent during the mid and late 90's. Mercer's problem has always been a lack of speed until the merger. IMO, in 1986 and 1987 Mercer had a better team than Danville but Danville had too much speed for Mercer. Basically, all Danville had to do was hand it off to their tailback and he would go around the end for 5 to 100 yards.

I beleive that was when Danville was in their prime. In 1987 was probabaly one of the best teams in the state that year. Mercer would have had to have been pretty darn good IMO. What was the score of Danville and Mercer that year? I know that they were in the same district and was Mercer the runner-up that year or was Anderson Co?

I beleive that was when Danville was in their prime. In 1987 was probabaly one of the best teams in the state that year. Mercer would have had to have been pretty darn good IMO. What was the score of Danville and Mercer that year? I know that they were in the same district and was Mercer the runner-up that year or was Anderson Co?

Danville, Anderson and Mercer was the ranking of the district. This was Mercer's first year in AA. I believe Anderson got beat by Fort Knox in the Semi's on a blocked extra point that year. Mercer finished up the year 7-3 with losses to Danville, Anderson and I can't remember the other team. Danville beat Mercer 20-0 that year. Speed was the killing factor.

I agree! Nobody, could stop their running game and their defense was top notch. People, tend to forget that before the merger H-Burg would only have around 20 football players with only about 13 that actually played. That's not a big addition when the school merged. However, no way would Mercer have won the state if they had not merged.

I agree. Mercer had a dominant line and H'burg had a ton of speed. The year before they merged, H'burg struggled with great speed but no blocking. Mercer had great blocking but needed more breakaway speed. When they put them together, that was a deadly combination.

Danville, Anderson and Mercer was the ranking of the district. This was Mercer's first year in AA. I believe Anderson got beat by Fort Knox in the Semi's on a blocked extra point that year. Mercer finished up the year 7-3 with losses to Danville, Anderson and I can't remember the other team. Danville beat Mercer 20-0 that year. Speed was the killing factor.

I know that Anderson wasn't in the semis because Danville won the 2 A title against Mayfield that year. So Mayfield played someone in the semis and Danville played someone else. So Anderson couldn't have been in there and that is okay I thought that Anderson was the runner up.

I know that Anderson wasn't in the semis because Danville won the 2 A title against Mayfield that year. So Mayfield played someone in the semis and Danville played someone else. So Anderson couldn't have been in there and that is okay I thought that Anderson was the runner up.

Old memories are like money in pocket....They just seem to fade away!:confused:

I think that was an oversimplification of those years.

The two years you speak of Danville was a far better team than Mercer. In '86 Danville lost in the semi-finals to Belfry in a sloppy, multi-turnover performance. They had 4 years starters Keith Morgan at QB and Jimmy Baughman (3 time all-state) at RB.

In '87 Duffy went back to the Bone with Tim McDaniel at FB (later Centre Record Maker), Donnie Redd at HB and a huge line in front of them. Oh, yeah, they won AA that year. That Mercer team barely beat Boyle (4-7) that season and I don't recall their scores vs. Danville.

Now in '88 Mercer played Danville tough in the 2nd round and that team struggled all year, so if you want to make an argument there, that's fine. Of course some of that talent squandered it the next season when they actually lost to Boyle (Rebels only win that season).

Anderson lost only 2 games that season. To Danville. It was Sam Harp's swan song there. The Ads beat them in by about 3 TD's and then swamped them in the 2nd round of the playoffs in '87. Those were the only two losses for the Bearcats and Danville hired Sam Harp in the offseason after Duffy left to go to Highlands.

Speed was a factor, no doubt but French's defense probably controlled that speed as best as possible from being a trouncing. That Danville team only lost to St. Xavier and really had not contest less than 3 TD's until the Mayfield Classic in the final.

I think that was an oversimplification of those years.

The two years you speak of Danville was a far better team than Mercer. In '86 Danville lost in the semi-finals to Belfry in a sloppy, multi-turnover performance. They had 4 years starters Keith Morgan at QB and Jimmy Baughman (3 time all-state) at RB.

In '87 Duffy went back to the Bone with Tim McDaniel at FB (later Centre Record Maker), Donnie Redd at HB and a huge line in front of them. Oh, yeah, they won AA that year. That Mercer team barely beat Boyle (4-7) that season and I don't recall their scores vs. Danville.

Now in '88 Mercer played Danville tough in the 2nd round and that team struggled all year, so if you want to make an argument there, that's fine. Of course some of that talent squandered it the next season when they actually lost to Boyle (Rebels only win that season).

Exactly, what I was saying. Speed, speed and more speed was what seperated Mercer and Danville. Don't get me wrong, Danville is a far superior program compared to Mercer.

Was Brian Sims or Brandon Robins on that team? They were fast weren't they?