Fugate RB, (Breathitt Co.) Mr. Football next season?

wideopen

I haven't seen him in person, but I would be shocked if he weighs 235lbs. Scout has him listed as: Ht: 6-0 Wt: 175 40: 4.65

Position: DB, RB

Year:

I'll take SK's Simpson for Mr KY going to Bamma like Mr Alexander from Boone !:thumb:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Fugate will definitely be a finalist for the award, but I don't know if he will win.

Did Haddix (former Breathitt QB) win Mr. Football in 2002? I know he had a tremendous season that year.

Michael Bush.

I think Haddix may have been the runner-up.

I've heard a lot about this young man, but haven't gotten the chance to see him. Hasn't Breathitt always had a Fugate on their team since Holcomb has been their the last 20 years, or close to it? Any relation to them or is he a different set of Fugate's?

We've probably had a few Fugates, but not many.

Chapman, Collins, and White were the most common names in the past, especially during Breathitt's dominant run in the mid '90's.

During the '90's, off the top of my head, here's the names...

Wick Chapman (DL, TE) - early '90's, can't remember the exact years

George Chapman (QB, WR, DB) - early '90's, his last year was '91 or '92

Jeremiah Chapman (WR, DB) - '93-'96

Waylon Chapman (QB, DB) - '92-'95

Jonathan Chapman (RB) - '95-'97

Jason White (RB, LB) - '95-'98

Gus White (RB, LB, DB) - '96-'99

Ashford White (LB, TE) - '93-'96

Eric Collins (OL, DL) - '93-'96

Al Collins (OL) - '91-'94

Wade Collins (LB) - '95-'98

Every one of those guys were significant contributors to the teams they played on, and most of them were great high school football players.

It's interesting to notice how many teams have common names that you see year-after-year.

We've probably had a few Fugates, but not many.

Chapman, Collins, and White were the most common names in the past, especially during Breathitt's dominant run in the mid '90's.

During the '90's, off the top of my head, here's the names...

Wick Chapman (DL, TE) - early '90's, can't remember the exact years

George Chapman (QB, WR, DB) - early '90's, his last year was '91 or '92

Jeremiah Chapman (WR, DB) - '93-'96

Waylon Chapman (QB, DB) - '92-'95

Jonathan Chapman (RB) - '95-'97

Jason White (RB, LB) - '95-'98

Gus White (RB, LB, DB) - '96-'99

Ashford White (LB, TE) - '93-'96

Eric Collins (OL, DL) - '93-'96

Al Collins (OL) - '91-'94

Wade Collins (LB) - '95-'98

Every one of those guys were significant contributors to the teams they played on, and most of them were great high school football players.

It's interesting to notice how many teams have common names that you see year-after-year.

5W, what became of J. Chapman's college career? I thought he was going to UK and I lost track of him. Injury? I recall him being on the Sports Overtime high light reel for a long time. I thought he was a GREAT RB. Back on subject, barring injury, Fugate should be Mr. Football next year. :thumb:

:thumb:

I've noticed as well. Less numbers and smaller players...so, not only is your line small, allowing teams to run on you, but the depth is bad also, so you have a lot of two-way players. They wear down...

Channing Fugate is a perfect example. He never leaves the field and he plays close to the line on defense. When Jonathan Chapman was playing RB 10-12 years ago, he rarely stepped on the field unless he was playing offense. I really wish BC could keep Fugate off the field and play him only at RB. It would be different if they had more weapons and didn't have to ride him like they do.

But, even when Breathitt has played guys two ways, they've had some depth to rest them, but that hasn't been the case lately.

As for last years game, I would agree. I think the last two minutes of the first half turned that game into a massacre. Belfry clearly had a better team, but I think those two late TD's broke our backs and it just snowballed after that. Its possible that game could have been competitive if Breathitt could have went into the half down 14-13.

If they played 10 times? Belfry may have won by 34 in a different game, but I doubt they'd have rolled up 62 points. Ouch! The only way Breathitt could have beat them would have been for Belfry to turn the ball over multiple times.

I was surprised at the low numbers Breathitt had as well. I even asked one Breathitt fan if that was just upper classmen that dressed for the playoffs and he said that was the whole team. Really surprised me.

5W, what became of J. Chapman's college career? I thought he was going to UK and I lost track of him. Injury? I recall him being on the Sports Overtime high light reel for a long time. I thought he was a GREAT RB. Back on subject, barring injury, Fugate should be Mr. Football next year. :thumb:

Chapman played for the UK JV team as a freshman and had a few decent games, I think. After that, I'm not 100% sure, but I think he just quit and came back home. I'm not even sure if he finished the season. Also, don't know the whole story there, so I can't say what his reasons for leaving the team were.

He was a great high school RB. In fact, with Jason White there at the same time, we had two great backs. I think Chapman and White were the two best and most talented RB's Breathitt has had...until now. There may have been some guys before my time that someone else could tell you about.

I think Chapman had better breakaway speed than Fugate, but not the size. Also, Chapman benefitted from playing with two all-state caliber QB's and elite passing attacks to take some pressure off...

I'd rate Fugate as the best back in Breathitt history. Then Chapman. Then White. One other note...most people only remember Jon Chapman because he got the ball more and thus more press. But, there really wasn't a big difference in those two players (he and Jason White). J White was a great defensive players, so BC had enough depth and the luxury of using him more there and letting Chapman get more offensive touches. After Chapman left to go to Pikeville his senior season, White was the focal point of the offense but was greatly underused, IMO. They should have fed him the ball much like they do Fugate right now. But, Holcomb was obsessed with passing the ball all the time and didn't run the ball as much as he should have.

I was surprised at the low numbers Breathitt had as well. I even asked one Breathitt fan if that was just upper classmen that dressed for the playoffs and he said that was the whole team. Really surprised me.

It surprised me too. Compared to when I was in school, the numbers are probably down close to 50%. You'd think at a school with the tradition and success Breathitt has had, the interest would be a little higher.

Long gone are the days when we had the depth to field separate units. On our first state championship team in '95, I'm pretty sure we had 3 players that went both ways...in '96 it may have been 4...but, even then we had depth to sub guys in and out and give them a breather. We were still in pretty good shape in '97. But, after that, it seemed we started having a lot of guys going both ways and we've been that way pretty much every since.

Even in our last title season (2002), we had several guys that started both ways. The good thing about that team was the depth they had. They had some solid guys who could come in and play well and give players a rest when necessary.

Fugate is a D-1 player and should be Mr.Football for sure next year. Fugate will walk all over Belfry this Friday night. If Fugate cant run around Belfry he will run through team.

I bet Miles Simpson may think he deserves a shot. He's only a Junior also.

What are Fugates Offensive #'s for the season?

I bet Miles Simpson may think he deserves a shot. He's only a Junior also.

What are Fugates Offensive #'s for the season?

Around 3000+ all purpose yards

35 Total TD

Over 10 yards per carry average

He had 1700+ rushing, 600+ receiving, 35 Total TD's as a Sophomore.

He should finish his career around 8500 All Purpose Yards and over 100 career TD's.

His competition has not necessarily been "weak" either as Breathitt has faced some quality teams.