Tackling Technique

After attending the Highlands/Bryan Station game, a question came to mind of the tackling techniques being employed by high schools throughout the Commonwealth. The running back for BS was rather small in stature, but very strong in the lower body yet it appeared that Highlands defenders were always tackling him up in the shoulder pads. As a result, this young man was able to keep his strong legs churning and in several instances gain another 5 to 10 yards. It is my understanding that Highlands is taught to tackle high so as to avoid concussions and/or neck injuries. What technique is being taught at your school?

After attending the Highlands/Bryan Station game, a question came to mind of the tackling techniques being employed by high schools throughout the Commonwealth. The running back for BS was rather small in stature, but very strong in the lower body yet it appeared that Highlands defenders were always tackling him up in the shoulder pads. As a result, this young man was able to keep his strong legs churning and in several instances gain another 5 to 10 yards. It is my understanding that Highlands is taught to tackle high so as to avoid concussions and/or neck injuries. What technique is being taught at your school?

Technique is one thing, but the other thing that must be taught is 11 hats to the ball. Gang tackling tends to eliminate YAC by the RB.

Chin to the ball, bring the arms and roll the hips. Wrap high cloth. Keep your feet moving on contact and keep them moving untill you're on the ground.

Perfect description on how to tackle. One that every young football player should be taught. "Chin to the Ball" or "See your target" either one will work as long as the head is up to avoid injury.:thumb:

As long as they wrap up, I could care how they bring the runner down. I hate seeing college and NFL players just trying to lower the "boom" only to have the offensive player bouncing off for a big gain.

Yes! I hate to see shoulder shots and sort of wish the defender small injury so they would quit doing that. Juggernauts23 has defined PERFECT tackling. Good Job. :thumb:

While the "high" technique may be safer for the tackler, it can be more dangerous for the ball carrier because of the high/low hits IMO .Linemen are protected from this by rule. .You have the potential of the same injuries as the horse collar tackle with the high technique when it is an angle tackle as opposed to a "head on" collision.I am in favor of LloydJ3's method.