8 man Football championship?

ddky1970

Exactly, CB. Play one or the other. Let the small schools (8 man FB) have their moment. If you choose to play 1A ball, play 1A ball. If you want to play 8 man ball, play 8 man ball. You should not be able to do both.

I don't really see a problem with 8 man football. You have to remember, there is a difference between a rural county 1A school and a city, religion based or Independent 1A school. Rural 1A county schools are limited by population. Independent 1A, religion based 1A and city 1A schools with open enrollment, have a huge advantage over their rural rivals, as they can try to entice players to attend their school.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is where I see the problem, if they push 8 man football then more school might play 8 man instead of even trying to start an 11 man team.

I think 11 man football should be pushed. If they fall short, then they can play the 8 man the way they are playing it now. If you push 8 man football, it will drag 1A teams that are not good enough down to 8 man football instead of trying to improve their program to compete in 1A.

I don't see anything wrong with this though. I thought high school sports was not about W's and L's but about kids having fun? If poorer 1A schools that struggle for numbers every year played 8 man then I see that as a good thing for the kids. Isn;t that what this supposed to be about? I could care less about Kentucky's standing nationally, I care about whether or not kids get to play and have fun.

I would love to see someone sanction a statewide 8 Man League. It would give small schools that don't field football programs like Rose Hill and Elliott County the chance to field teams. If there was 8 man Rose Hill would be playing this year instead of having to put the brakes on their program due to numbers.

If it's a positive for the kids and gets more kids playing football- it's not a bad thing.

I don't have a problem with 8 man football.

Eminence is an independent public school, so I doubt they'd be invited to the KSCAA.

Texas plays 6-man football in some areas. If they don't find it shameful, I think Kentucky can live with the bump down in prestige.

How many square miles in total land is Texas compared to Kentucky?

How many schools are there in Texas comapred to Kentucky?

How many classes are there compared to Kentucky?

Apples to oranges... apples to oranges. Maybe Rhode Island should break into 6 classes and also have an 8-man championship since the above questions apparently have no bearing.

That is where I see the problem, if they push 8 man football then more school might play 8 man instead of even trying to start an 11 man team.

I think 11 man football should be pushed. If they fall short, then they can play the 8 man the way they are playing it now. If you push 8 man football, it will drag 1A teams that are not good enough down to 8 man football instead of trying to improve their program to compete in 1A.

I think a small school just starting a program should run 8 man for a couple of years then jump into the 11 man rotation.

I don't think that many schools with 11 man teams are to be all that tempted to "down-size" to 8-man football... but I wonder how many schools we have in the state that don't play football at all because of the numbers of kids in the school?

Eminence has only about 160 kids in grades 9-12...so (guesstimate) about 80 boys. They are one of smallest schools in the state. Most schools are lucky to have 5-10% of their boys play football...if that were so at Eminence, they'd only have 8 players on the whole team!

My point being, Eminence just doesn't have the resources to be consistently competitive in 11-man football, and I suspect there are other schools in the state in similar situations. Probably most of them are small private schools - and I'm betting most just don't even bother.

Looks like Coach Frommeyer has done a pretty great job of making the Warriors competitive this year against 11-man teams...even if the teams they've beaten have all been pretty weak. But I just don't see a problem with schools like this playing in an 8-man tournament - although calling it a state championship seems a bit pretentious, especially so long as the KHSAA doesn't recognize it.

If it gets more kids playing football across the state, it's a good thing. :thumb:

If it gets more kids playing football across the state, it's a good thing. :thumb:

Quoted for truth.

Too many people forget what high school sports are about. This isn't the pros, this about a group of kids playing football and having fun. So to not have 8 Man Football because it "might hurt our standing nationally" to me says we have lost focus on what is important.

The difference is Eminence has been fielding a varsity team for over 30 years. In the late 90's they help started the 8-man class so they could win a championship, the coach says he couldn't compete with the big boys of class A. Well now we have a six class system and it looks like they have done pretty darn good.

So should we start a 1 man football class so everyone can win a championship?

:thumb:I agree with you all totally, I was just throwing out what little I knew about the situation. I don't think it is good for their program but I guess if they want to do it they can.

How many square miles in total land is Texas compared to Kentucky?

How many schools are there in Texas comapred to Kentucky?

How many classes are there compared to Kentucky?

Apples to oranges... apples to oranges. Maybe Rhode Island should break into 6 classes and also have an 8-man championship since the above questions apparently have no bearing.

I'm not sure what difference any of this makes vis-a-vis my earlier point. Both states have schools that play 6-man or 8-man for essentially the same reasons — a small school size with a shortage of available boys. If the KHSAA isn't mandating one way or another (either play 11-man or no FB at all), what difference does it make? Dividing Ky into six classes still was a dumb idea in terms of the overall depth in each class; having a handful — and it's just a handful of perhaps 10 schools — playing 8-man doesn't really damage the overall quality of football in the state that much.