Kentucky football title games heading to Bowling Green

You know, it's very interesting that you make this comment because it's the exact opposite thinking here in Ohio...not that many of you care but thought I'd share anyway.

The OHSAA simply mandates that the 6 title games be played in two different stadiums over a two day period (Fri and Sat). The idea of playing them all at one stadium over two days is completely foreign to them. The fear of overtimes and/or unforseen complications scares them into thinking it can't be done so they insist on two venues, artificial turf, and in very close proximity to each other.

We here in Cincy have been trying to get the OHSAA to move the games from God-forsaken Stark County (e.g. Canton/Massilion, OH) for years and with two beautiful facilities like UC's Nippert Stadium (best place to watch a High School game other than at a high school ever, IMO) and the home of the Cincinnati Bengals, Paul Brown Stadium, we certainly could do it. They are less than 10 miles apart and would provide a tremendous atmosphere for everyone there.

Alas, it isn't going to happen. I've never gone to any of the KY state title games before and them moving to BG probably isn't going to change that but if it's better for the masses, so be it.

-CardinalsFan

Football is King in Ohio so they don't always have to make smart business decisions.

This will really hurt attendance IMO. The casual fan from nky or eastern ky that was willing to make the hour and a half trip to the Ville to see some good hs football will no longer make the travel considering it will now be a 3-4 hour drive.

Being a Highlands fan though, I'll still have a reason to make the trip every year. :D

uh... there are NO casual EKY fans within 1 1/2 hr. of Louisville. We've always had to make a long trip for the Finals.

It's a percentage thing. From my home (within 20 mins. of WV state line), 4 1/2 hrs. to BG isn't that much more than the 3 1/2 hr. it takes to get to Louisville.

The drive may be 2-3x as far for NKY fans to BG as it is to Louisville, but frankly, you folks in the "golden triangle" have been spoiled a very long time in having the event so close for so long.

:bunny:

The PH Household is ecstatic to see the football finals coming back to BG!! I was a junior when any finals were last played here (1975). I was there when Ludlow and Heath met for the Class A championship, Scott Co and Middlesboro in 2A, and Highlands and Franklin-Simpson in 3A. Now that I have a profound physical handicap, it will be a bigger chance than ever to see our old friends from BGP, and making more new friends! You bet I'm twistin'!!:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:D

It's very exciting to see BG get this venue, Absolutley beautiful area. It should never be about money or convienence in amature activities. If just their parents show up and support it's a success. It 's all about the Kids. Once in a lifetime exsperience for the lucky ones. Wish it was this year. Thanks Western Kentucky. Good luck to all.

Even from Maysville, which is in that "no-man's land" between Northern KY and Eastern KY, the travel time isn't all that different. Two hours and forty minutes to Louisville; three hours and forty five minutes to Bowling Green (and we gain an hour on the way).

And it probably wouldn't make any difference to the kids if the games were played in Cawood or Cadiz.