Cov Cath JV Football

Yes they are dominating

53- 0 against Scott

31-20 against Highland and game that was not that close. Take away a long run ,pass

and blocked punt Highland's did not move the ball.

26-0 against Beechwood in just a half

They are a mix of mostly soph, led by a junior qb Erpenbeck who in those games has thrown 7 td's and run for 3 more.Against Beechwood , he had 2 throwning and td runs

of 50 and 30 . Word after the game was he is going to get a serious look with the varsity.A very good running back soph No 26 and good reciever in No 16

On defense is good mix of juniors and soph.

I really have a comment here but I will hold my tongue because LN will just tell me it really didn't need to be said. (and that would happen at 4:30 a.m. when he wakes up):eek::mad::sssh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are dominating

53- 0 against Scott

31-20 against Highland and game that was not that close. Take away a long run ,pass

and blocked punt Highland's did not move the ball.

26-0 against Beechwood in just a half

They are a mix of mostly soph, led by a junior qb Erpenbeck who in those games has thrown 7 td's and run for 3 more.Against Beechwood , he had 2 throwning and td runs

of 50 and 30 . Word after the game was he is going to get a serious look with the varsity.A very good running back soph No 26 and good reciever in No 16

On defense is good mix of juniors and soph.

Wow! That is a very nice luxury to be able to have all those Juniors on a JV team. Not saying that CovCath isnt what you are billing them out to be but I believe Highland had (1) Jr playing in that dominating performance you just described. Actually, the Highland JV numbers goes something like (2) Frosh, (21) Soph and (1) Jr.

The CovCath jv starters are made up 6 to 9 soph's depending rotation

I was told that the qb still practices with the linebackers during the week

and I agree it does not make sense.The point is , most of the impact players

are soph's

I find this interesting. Highlands beats a school's varsity by 61 pts but loses against the JV and then complains that the JV team was stacked with Jrs?

I don't think any of the Highlands posters was complaining at all. They were simply pointing out that there were quite a few juniors that normally see JV action that did not participate in the JV game against CovCath which may in their opinion have had some impact on the outcome of the game. As did, in some folks opinion, the fact that the night before, a lot of the kids that played Saturday morning, also played the entire second half (some going both ways )against CovCath's starters and some participated on special teams the entire game. Some discount that effect because of the running clock scenario, but if you are a sophomore playing as much as they did the night before against another teams starters, you get out of bed the next morning tired and sore if you gave it your all in the Friday night game.

That's not complaining; that's simply pointing out some cold hard facts. Would Highlands have won the JV game if it was under "normal" circumstances? Its impossible for anyone to know that, but an opinion to that effect would have logical support.

Mr. Neck,

I guess that I should have said that I find it interesting that Highlands beats a school's varsity by 61 pts but loses against the JV and then complains that the JV team was stacked with Jrs AND the Highlands kids were tired. This is not a critque, I just find it interesting.

Mr. Neck,

I guess that I should have said that I find it interesting that Highlands beats a school's varsity by 61 pts but loses against the JV and then complains that the JV team was stacked with Jrs AND the Highlands kids were tired. This is not a critque, I just find it interesting.

I'll ask again, where is the complaint? No complaining here. I'm rather happy our sophmores and freshman were able to play quite a bit on Friday night. Hopefully, this starts a trend in the series. :D

Mr. Neck,

That's fair. Although you need to keep in mind that the Highlands posters were responding to a post talking about how CovCath's JV had seemingly dominated the teams they had played (including Highlands) with the exception of LaSalle.

As for whether the JV wins mean better days ahead for CovCath, I would temper any undue optimism for next year by reminding folks that when next year's seniors were freshmen, Highlands beat CovCath something like 56-7. While I don't think frosh games are a total indicator as to what a team will be like as seniors, frosh games to me do provide a very good indicator of the level and amount of athletes found in a class (coaching on the frosh level is generally not the best, subject to certain exceptions, and what coaching is given generally hasn't been given much chance to take hold). So based on my observation of the frosh game a couple of years ago (and looking at the starting juniors contributing this year for both teams) I wouldn't get my expectations too high for next year if I was a CovCath fan just because the JV team this year is doing very well. The years after that, maybe because the CovCath frosh the last two years have played Highlands frosh much closer. I just don't see a big turnaround occurring next year.

Hmmm, I'd have to put the Camels in the mix. The Camel/Cov Cath scrimmage resulted in the Camels 2's outscoring the Colonel 2's by a count of 3-1. Not necessarily an indication of who played 2's for Cov. Cath, but the Camel's 2's were JV players.

The Camel Frosh & Varsity outscored the Colonel's as well. The Frosh play this Thursday night, so bragging rights in a "real" game will take place this week.

Wow! That is a very nice luxury to be able to have all those Juniors on a JV team. Not saying that CovCath isnt what you are billing them out to be but I believe Highland had (1) Jr playing in that dominating performance you just described. Actually, the Highland JV numbers goes something like (2) Frosh, (21) Soph and (1) Jr.

Highlands had that luxury last year...and it's paying off this year! THAT is what JV FB is about...prepping for VARSITY...not W-L's. But they do keep score so it's nice to win! :D

That's fair. Although you need to keep in mind that the Highlands posters were responding to a post talking about how CovCath's JV had seemingly dominated the teams they had played (including Highlands) with the exception of LaSalle.

As for whether the JV wins mean better days ahead for CovCath, I would temper any undue optimism for next year by reminding folks that when next year's seniors were freshmen, Highlands beat CovCath something like 56-7. While I don't think frosh games are a total indicator as to what a team will be like as seniors, frosh games to me do provide a very good indicator of the level and amount of athletes found in a class (coaching on the frosh level is generally not the best, subject to certain exceptions, and what coaching is given generally hasn't been given much chance to take hold). So based on my observation of the frosh game a couple of years ago (and looking at the starting juniors contributing this year for both teams) I wouldn't get my expectations too high for next year if I was a CovCath fan just because the JV team this year is doing very well. The years after that, maybe because the CovCath frosh the last two years have played Highlands frosh much closer. I just don't see a big turnaround occurring next year.

As a CCH fan, I agree 100% with you. Frosh level has not always been the best predictor necessarily how a team will do in Varsity, but definitely a indicator how much talent there is. The CCH/HHS frosh games always are a good predictor.

If you go back through the years:

Class of 2005 Birds beat CCH like 7-6 as Frosh. Then when Seniors the finals were like a combined 26-0 for 2 games. Of Course some of those frosh for CCH ended up playing for Birds.

Class of 2006 CCH beat Birds by like 3 as Frosh. Then when Seniors HHS wins on gamewinning TD with less than a minute to play

Class of 2007 CCH beat HHS by 2 TDS as Frosh then beat them as seniors twice

Class of 2008 HHS beats CCH by like 4 TDS as Frosh, then by like a avg of 4 tds in 2 games

Class of 2009 HHS beats CCH by like 4-5 TDS as Frosh. Not close this year.

Class of 2010 HHS beats CCH by like 50 as Frosh. Next year CCH has a very weak senior class

Class of 2011 HHS wins in OT.

Class of 2012 HHS wins late in 4th.

So to me CCH and HHS will have some unbelievable games coming up, but not next year. In 2 years it should be very competitive again. It just all comes down on to the development of these players.