What's with the new color footballs?

Rebel

I don't care so much about the color but to say they are tan is inaccurate as well, they are very much pukey yellow. Not school bus yellow but one of those shades in a babies diaper. To the balls credit, over time they do become more of a brown color, but off the shelf and in dry conditions they are yellow.

If it's yellow to you then go for it. I would stay out of them diapers if I were you. I like tan myself.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen it, passed it and kicked it. Durability is the issue. It could be pink, I don't care. My question is "why change"? Football's have been brown since Noah was a sophmore, I say leave 'em brown.:argue:

You were probable against the green softballs the girls use. White was good so stick with it. Or the orange ping pong balls. Or how about turf. Grass was good enouigh. It's called change! Accept it. Change is good.

Rawlings is paying KHSAA several pennies for the exclusive rights to post season. The contract is for use of Rawlings balls that have their name, the NFHS logo and the KHSAA logo on the balls for the playoffs. Schools can use whatever during the regular season but must use the Rawling in post-season. Class A basketball is the exemption as they have NIKE as a sponsor.

Most schools use the Rawlings during the regualr season so there isn't an adjustment period for postseason

The newer ball according to dealers, is a composite material which can be sold at a slightly lesser price to the schools than full leather. The new balls have the same grip, size and feel, and hold up 1000% better in foul weather. Just like the change to composite basketballs, they simply hold up better to elements. Every shoot with an old Wilson Jet after it was used a while? Like shooting a pool cue. The color of the new football is simply a byproduct of an improved testing and manufacturing process.

I cant tell if your a football official or a rep for Rawlings. Ha Ha

http://www.hitrunscore.com/st5compb-rawlings-football.html

Rawlings ST5 Composite Official Size NFHS Football

ST5COMPB $20.99

The Rawlings ST5COMPB football is an Official size football with a PU composite leather cover for the best possible grip.

Rawlings ST5 composite football uses a Neoprene foam backing for a "soft-touch" feel allowing it to keep its soft feel even in colder air, has a patented double-wall, air tight bladder for excellent air retention and meets NFHS specifications.

Rawlings ST5 Composite Football

Official size

PU composite leather cover

Neoprene foam backing

Patented double-wall, air tight bladder

Meets NFHS specifications

In leather...

Rawlings ST5 Official Size Pro Preferred Leather Football

ST5PROSB $59.99

Big difference in price.

You were probable against the green softballs the girls use. White was good so stick with it. Or the orange ping pong balls. Or how about turf. Grass was good enouigh. It's called change! Accept it. Change is good.

You are so wrong! I have always accepted change, change IS good but this ball in particular is bad. I am not the only one who has used it or been around the players using it (read all in this thread). The main issue with this ball is quality!!!!! Now, if you have connections with Rawlings or can come up with some more cute antecdotes to fix the quality issue, I for one would love it. Now as for my PERSONAL opinion on the color......I do like the original color better, big deal. Accept it, it's called an opinion.

You are so wrong! I have always accepted change, change IS good but this ball in particular is bad. I am not the only one who has used it or been around the players using it (read all in this thread). The main issue with this ball is quality!!!!! Now, if you have connections with Rawlings or can come up with some more cute antecdotes to fix the quality issue, I for one would love it. Now as for my PERSONAL opinion on the color......I do like the original color better, big deal. Accept it, it's called an opinion.

You are way to sensitive. I just happen to have stocks in Rawlings and was trying to protect my interests. I appologize, my comments should not have been directed to you. In speaking with Rawlings this afternoon regarding the Footballs they have assured me that the quality if there. Yes they would say that. You may like the old color better and that is Okay. What do the players think? That is the real question.

You are way to sensitive. I just happen to have stocks in Rawlings and was trying to protect my interests. I appologize, my comments should not have been directed to you. In speaking with Rawlings this afternoon regarding the Footballs they have assured me that the quality if there. Yes they would say that. You may like the old color better and that is Okay. What do the players think? That is the real question.

The players at Raceland state that is harder, and makes it difficult to hold and catch. It has never made it past the practice field and the coaches have no plans to use it in a game. If it is mandated, then of course it will be used and there will be no complaints.......because both teams have to use it.

P.S

I love the green softballs, wish our men's league used them.;), as for the orange ping pong balls, can't play well enough no matter the color!!!!!!

As a center, I have plenty of experience with the ST5's. Out of the box they are horrible. They feel like they have oil on them before you get them properly broken in and when they get sweaty they are horrible also. My favorite ball to use is a year old ST5 that is nice and broken in. They have great grip once broken in IMO. I find that once you get the oily feel off of them they are great. Ours seem to leave a red dye on your hands when they get wet or are used alot. Just my .02

The players at Raceland state that is harder, and makes it difficult to hold and catch. It has never made it past the practice field and the coaches have no plans to use it in a game. If it is mandated, then of course it will be used and there will be no complaints.......because both teams have to use it.

P.S

I love the green softballs, wish our men's league used them.;), as for the orange ping pong balls, can't play well enough no matter the color!!!!!!

Here is a good way to see if the players can tell the difference. Have both balls available with approximately the same wear. Blindfold the player and give them a ball see if they can tell the difference. You might be surprised with the outcome. You being a Doctor may not be surprised by the placebo effect. It just might be the color thing that the Raceland players don't like. Then again it could be both.

• 1 month later...

So now that the season is winding down and the playoffs are getting ready to start, has anybody gotten use to the new color looking footballs? I have noticed that more schools have gone to it this season. IMO I still think they look odd for football. I had one that color when I was little, but I left it outside all winter too.

I have noticed that more schools have gone to it this season.

Schools are basically forced to go with these balls for two reasons:

1. They are forced to play with them later on in the playoffs anyway so why not begin getting used to them.

2. They are cheaper than other balls, therefore, on schools bid list they have to go with the cheaper balls.

I still dislike them very much, they have an awkward spin about them until they are broken in significantly.