Cov. Cath Coach?

No doubt about it - Coach L is far from perfect; however, the further removed from your playing days you get the more respect you will have for him.

With that said, he has plenty of flaws as an X's & O's coach. But, he runs a clean program and teaches his team a lot more than about basketball. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is the most important aspect of coaching high school basketball, IMO.

CCH5432, ColonelCrazy knows of what he speaks! As you grow older the W's and L's become a whole lot less important, but what Coach L taught you will speak volumes of what kind of man you will become later in life. I can thank men like Coach Hils, Coach Cronin, Coach Shields and Coach Rasso for making me becoming the man that I think I am, and one day you too, you will thank Coach L for helping you became the man I know you will one day become! Then you will understand that it just wasn't the game of basketball that you leaned in that gym from Coach L, but you leaned how to become a man from him!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a coach your only as good as your players. What makes people think someone is a good coach ? There record, The Number of Players that come out, How he interacts with his team, Or how well he knows the game.

IMO, it's what his players do once they stop playing basketball.

IMO, it's what his players do once they stop playing basketball.

CC, while I see where you are going with that, I'm not sure thats fair. Some coaches in "lower income" schools give the shirts off their backs to kids and their families while the players are playing. They instill discipline, work ethic, and responsibility. Unfortunately, all too often, there are "lesser educated" influences that take over once the hoops career is over. I've seen it, I've lived it. Based on your theory, (if I understand correctly)any superstar who excelled to the extent of playing at the next level and then got in trouble, they must not have had a good coach early on. Not trying to stir the pot, but with all due respect, not sure I agree with your blanket statement.;)

CC, while I see where you are going with that, I'm not sure thats fair. Some coaches in "lower income" schools give the shirts off their backs to kids and their families while the players are playing. They instill discipline, work ethic, and responsibility. Unfortunately, all too often, there are "lesser educated" influences that take over once the hoops career is over. I've seen it, I've lived it. Based on your theory, (if I understand correctly)any superstar who excelled to the extent of playing at the next level and then got in trouble, they must not have had a good coach early on. Not trying to stir the pot, but with all due respect, not sure I agree with your blanket statement.;)

Fair enough, and you're correct. :thumb:

There's no doubt about it that I generalized and over-simplified things; however, I feel that high school coaches (regardless of sport) have an opportunity to mold kids into young men - some more than others. There's no doubt in my mind that Coach Listerman takes full advantage of that opportunity - and his school's "situation" doesn't hurt him, either.

Just a little story from me on Mike Listerman.

The first time I met him was right before Cov Cath went to Rupp in 2004. There was a CCH alum that helped out at the TV station I have been with since 2001 and I was presented with the chance to get full access to a team going to the Sweet 16. As this was going down my Mom was in BAD shape, but it wasn't something I wanted to burden my video subjects with because it was easier to just shoot what became an amazing documentary.

When I got home, things went downhill very quickly for my Mom, and her passing was right around the time I was planning to shoot the return home video for an amazing weekend in Lexington.

Coach L (who had known me for a week) accepted me in to his program, and didn't act like most people in his position.

He showed up for my Mom's visitation and left a profound impact on me with the conversation we had that day.

I treated him with nothing but respect, and he did the same in a time I needed all the help I could get...

Everyone in NKY respects Listerman. He is a very good coach.

That said, the best coach in this region is Dave Faust. Hands down...

A lot of people are saying Faust is hands down the best coach. Why? I like coach Faust a lot and I think he's a wonderful coach, but just b/c his teams play hard and win a few games does that qualify him as the best? Are people saying that if had talent like Cov Cath every year he would have beaten Holmes in the regionals? Or that if he was the coach at Holmes the least two years he would have at least one maybe two state titles. While some people don't think Listerman is the greatest, between him and Henley they keep winning regionals.

Can't we come to an agreement that winning alone does not qualify one as the "best coach"? Both are good guys and good coaches, but somewhere along the lines, we need to recognize that some good coaches have less talent and some lesser talented coaches have better players (that doesn't mean Listerman, Henley, Fausz and others are lesser talented coaches....just making a point):irked:

A lot of people are saying Faust is hands down the best coach. Why? I like coach Faust a lot and I think he's a wonderful coach, but just b/c his teams play hard and win a few games does that qualify him as the best? Are people saying that if had talent like Cov Cath every year he would have beaten Holmes in the regionals? Or that if he was the coach at Holmes the least two years he would have at least one maybe two state titles. While some people don't think Listerman is the greatest, between him and Henley they keep winning regionals.

Everyone in NKY respects Listerman. He is a very good coach.

That said, the best coach in this region is Dave Faust. Hands down...

Don't know much about Faust as a coach. Remember well as a player. This thread was an inquiry about Coach Listerman. I played for coach Listerman at Highlands. GT pretty much nailed it with his post. There are many, many people Coach Listerman has left great impression on. If I were to put a list together of individuals influential in my life, Coach Listerman is on it in high regard:thumb:

As a coach your only as good as your players. What makes people think someone is a good coach ? There record, The Number of Players that come out, How he interacts with his team, Or how well he knows the game.

But its the sign of a good coach to develop poor players into good ones and good players into great players, isn't it? I really start looking closer at a coach that says the reason he's had 5 losing record years in a row is because he hasn't "had the players".

Just a little story from me on Mike Listerman.

The first time I met him was right before Cov Cath went to Rupp in 2004. There was a CCH alum that helped out at the TV station I have been with since 2001 and I was presented with the chance to get full access to a team going to the Sweet 16. As this was going down my Mom was in BAD shape, but it wasn't something I wanted to burden my video subjects with because it was easier to just shoot what became an amazing documentary.

When I got home, things went downhill very quickly for my Mom, and her passing was right around the time I was planning to shoot the return home video for an amazing weekend in Lexington.

Coach L (who had known me for a week) accepted me in to his program, and didn't act like most people in his position.

He showed up for my Mom's visitation and left a profound impact on me with the conversation we had that day.

I treated him with nothing but respect, and he did the same in a time I needed all the help I could get...

:thumb:

GT, as you know, Coach L is a much better guy than a basketball coach.

And, full access with a video camera? Must've been some interesting outtakes. :eek:

C'mon LN.......I don't think you're thinking this through. SGrove comes to mind. When they had players, they won. When Brossart had players, they won. Some schools simply don't have "players" they have bodies, and no matter what the coach does, you can't get milk from a turnip. Your point may better apply to larger schools than smaller, however, because at least the bigger schools have better odds of having "players" to develop as opposed to "bodies" to put on the court.;)

But its the sign of a good coach to develop poor players into good ones and good players into great players, isn't it? I really start looking closer at a coach that says the reason he's had 5 losing record years in a row is because he hasn't "had the players".