Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cov. Cath Coach?

Featured Replies

Listerman has been a very good coach at CovCath. He seems to know alot about his players on and off the court. I will say that he knows alot of people and has good relationships with most the familes at that school, which is a reason why so many people have a hard time listening to others "bash" Listerman. The man has been around the game for many years and just lives and dies for basketball at CovCath, you will not find another varsity coach that has the same spirit or enthuasism as him. However with all of those good things being said, I think there have been mistakes made by him the last couple of years. In 2005 CovCath ran over everyone in the 9th region tournament and was actually a favorite to win state, but they were smoked in the first round by a good but beatable Apollo team. It shows that the talent is there but the players arent coached or toughened up enough to play with the big teams in the games that count. Also getting rid of Maile and Schrand was a decision that still has me puzzled:confused:

  • Replies 64
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon LN.......I don't think you're thinking this through. SGrove comes to mind. When they had players, they won. When Brossart had players, they won. Some schools simply don't have "players" they have bodies, and no matter what the coach does, you can't get milk from a turnip. Your point may better apply to larger schools than smaller, however, because at least the bigger schools have better odds of having "players" to develop as opposed to "bodies" to put on the court.;)

 

If that's the way you believe, you may want to change your user name.:D

If that's the way you believe, you may want to change your user name.:D

 

OK, lets just disagree because we all know there's a difference in facts and excuses. After reading all your posts, I'm surprised you take that stance. Holmes has how many district/regional championships?

 

Silver Grove, Bellevue, Dayton, Walton, Villa etc. etc. etc. have how many?

 

Whats the common denominator? Simple, it's school size/participants, not quality of coaches plain and simple!:rolleyes:

Listerman has been a very good coach at CovCath. He seems to know alot about his players on and off the court. I will say that he knows alot of people and has good relationships with most the familes at that school, which is a reason why so many people have a hard time listening to others "bash" Listerman. The man has been around the game for many years and just lives and dies for basketball at CovCath, you will not find another varsity coach that has the same spirit or enthuasism as him. However with all of those good things being said, I think there have been mistakes made by him the last couple of years. In 2005 CovCath ran over everyone in the 9th region tournament and was actually a favorite to win state, but they were smoked in the first round by a good but beatable Apollo team. It shows that the talent is there but the players arent coached or toughened up enough to play with the big teams in the games that count. Also getting rid of Maile and Schrand was a decision that still has me puzzled:confused:

 

 

Cov Cath should've won that game against Apollo, but I believe that was 2006. In '05, I think CCH lost to either Holmes or Conner in the regional tournament.

 

That Apollo team actually went on to the state finals, surprisingly. I was surprised that CCH lost that game, but I'm not so sure you can blame that on Coach L. There were plenty of experienced guards on that team who should have been able to keep the lead, and didn't...

Cov Cath should've won that game against Apollo, but I believe that was 2006. In '05, I think CCH lost to either Holmes or Conner in the regional tournament.

 

That Apollo team actually went on to the state finals, surprisingly. I was surprised that CCH lost that game, but I'm not so sure you can blame that on Coach L. There were plenty of experienced guards on that team who should have been able to keep the lead, and didn't...

 

In 2005, CCH lost to Conner.

 

Please, please don't bring up the Apollo game. :lol: Ask Kurt Bovard about a very timely called time out in the Apollo game. :lol:

In 2005, CCH lost to Conner.

 

Please, please don't bring up the Apollo game. :lol: Ask Kurt Bovard about a very timely called time out in the Apollo game. :lol:

 

Wasn't that the game that Brown was sent home sick for and a few of the players were sick or at least not feeling all that well but still played?

Wasn't that the game that Brown was sent home sick for and a few of the players were sick or at least not feeling all that well but still played?

Yes.

:lol: I need to stay out of this thread. So many Highlands fans loving on a CCH person, it's killing me- then again, he is from Ft. Thomas. :lol:

I too wonder why Beta is so interested......

 

Him being from Ft. T notwithstanding, we do appreciate good coaches and good people and Mike fits in those categories, as do other past and present CovCath coaches. :thumb:

Him being from Ft. T notwithstanding, we do appreciate good coaches and good people and Mike fits in those categories, as do other past and present CovCath coaches. :thumb:

 

Joking around, you know it. Great person, no denying that.

In 2005, CCH lost to Conner.

 

Please, please don't bring up the Apollo game. :lol: Ask Kurt Bovard about a very timely called time out in the Apollo game. :lol:

 

Calling the timeout was the right call, at that time. Hindsight is 20/20. Sure, it was disappointing, but I was more disappointed in how the team rebounded from the 3-pointer that never happened.

 

After the ball went in, it seemed like a terrible call; however, I don't think you can fault Coach L for that.

Calling the timeout was the right call, at that time. Hindsight is 20/20. Sure, it was disappointing, but I was more disappointed in how the team rebounded from the 3-pointer that never happened.

 

After the ball went in, it seemed like a terrible call; however, I don't think you can fault Coach L for that.

 

:thumb: I know. It is just frustrating when brought up.

We never got an answer as to why this thread was started....

Mike Listerman is the coach. He has been coaching basketball since the 70's and has been on the sidelines with some pretty good teams; both as an assistant and a head coach.

 

He has been the head coach at Covington Catholic since 2000 - 2001 season. He was a varsity assistant and JV head coach at Cov Cath for some 17 years (give or take a few) before he took over for Coach Dan Tieman. He is a religious, family man and truly cares about his players (present & past).

 

There are always debates over his coaching style & postseason success; however, you'll never hear one peep about his character and passion (about Cov Cath, basketball, family, etc.). People joke about how he sweats & jumps on the sidelines, but he'll give you the shirt off of his back on a cold day just as quickly as he'll put his arm around a referee.

 

He surrounds himself with people who are successful as well, which is, IMO, one of his biggest assets.

 

When your critics biggest complaint is that he should have won more with the talent he's had, yet he's won as much as anybody, you must be doing something right.

 

He was also an assistant to Kenny Shields at Highlands back in the late 70's. After leaving Highlands, I believe he went to Harrison County as a head coach for a year, but it was not too memorable. I think he only stayed there 1 or 2 years. He has redeemed himself since then. I think that coach Listerman is one of the top 4 coaches in the region

Dave Faust, hands down is the best coach in the 9th region!!!!!

 

 

Holmes grad here. I really like the way Henley Coaches, and the way he handles his players is pretty nice to see. That being said, I to believe Faust is #1 in N.Ky.

All of us NKY Bball fans are quite interested in why you are so quite interested?

 

There are many many many post on this site that talk about the long story and history of Coach Mike Listerman.

 

And there are so many because he is the best coach in kentucky.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.