Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cov. Cath Coach?

Featured Replies

Faust-hands down. I saw them play the first game of the season last year and they were awful. They were a completely different team by the All A 7 weeks later. He does more, with the talent he has, year in and year out.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Coach Faust is top notch. If he had the talent year in & year out that Holmes & CovCath does, he would definitely have more than the 1 regional championship he currently owns.

And the 2 regional championships that Coach L currently owns? :sssh:

Says who? Many including me would disagreee. Does he have the most talent year in year out? yeah. Is he the best coach???? Questionable. I like Faust as #1 but that is being biased.

 

I also like Mike Code as the next best coach in NKY. Then Henley, then Schlarman, then Jim Hicks at Conner. Then possibly my 6th pick as a coach would be Mike Listerman.

 

But I still like a lot of the young coaches around also....Sullivan will be good eventually when he gets some talent, Carr is going to pay off eventually, and Trent Stiener also is a good coach at SK.

 

People in Boone Co don't like what McQueary is doing but, all the coaches in the region seem to have his back and respect everything he has done also.

 

NKY is loaded with some good coaches.

 

 

Well, you are certainly biased. I am a Highlands fan and I am actually stating I think the CCH coach is the best. But is just my opinion also.

 

I do like Code but he is 10th region and probably the best over there.

 

I do like Faust and actually wasnt thinking about him at the time. I would put him a close #3.

 

I do like Code but he is 10th region and probably the best over there.

 

 

Talk about biased, he isn't even in the top 5. The 9th Region fans are really going to see some good HS BB when the 10th plays at NKU.:lol:

Call me a homer, but I will take the guy that has dad his team playing on Saturday at Rupp the pst two years. When was the last time a ninth region coach did that?

If I had a son, and he wanted to play baseketball there is no one I would rather have him play for than Coach L.

 

I love when some say "Does he have the most talent year in year out? yeah.

 

So, how many Ninth Region Championship has CovCath won? Eight

So how many other Coaches from CovCath other than Mote and Coach L have won the Ninth Region? One

 

So if CovCath has had all this talent year in and year out, then why did all the other combined coaches from 1972 until 2000 win only one Ninth Region Title between them? Can we say maybe that those Coaches weren't as good as Mote or Coach L!

 

CovCath History of Coaches and their records

COACH


YEARS


RECORD


PERCENTAGE


Bob Hebbeler


1944-1946


21-24


.467


Ed Kennedy


1946-1948


35-15


.700


Art Bohman


1948-1954


54-76


.415


Bob Naber


1954-1963


155-106


.594


Mote Hils


1963-1971


195-52


.789 5 Titles


Dick Maile


1971-1975


66-46


.589


George Schneider


1975-1985


164-122


.573


Dan Tieman


1985-2000


315-146


.683 1 Titles


Mike Listerman


2001 - Present


186-55


.772 2 Titles

Call me a homer, but I will take the guy that has dad his team playing on Saturday at Rupp the past two years. When was the last time a ninth region coach did that?

 

 

I think while your current coach who is a good one, he has quite a while to go to reach Mote Hils and his five straight.

 

Ninth Region Conservative Titles

 

Carrolton 24-25-26

Danville 32-33-34-35-36

Dayton 43-44

Newport 54-55

Covington Grant 58-59

CovCath 67-68-69-70-71 Mote Hils

NewCath 73-74-75

Cov Holmes 76-77-78

Highlands 82-83

Highlands 86-87

Highlands 97-98-99

Edited by Theoldguy

And the 2 regional championships that Coach L currently owns? :sssh:

 

I have always praised Coach Listerman and think he is a very good coach, but let's face facts that he has had a lot more talent to choose from than Coach Faust has.

 

IMO: Coach Faust is just as good as Listerman and Henley.

Dave Faust, hands down is the best coach in the 9th region!!!!!

 

BY far the best coach. The things he does with the very limited players, is amzing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always praised Coach Listerman and think he is a very good coach, but let's face facts that he has had a lot more talent to choose from than Coach Faust has.

 

IMO: Coach Faust is just as good as Listerman and Henley.

 

I'm with you. :thumb:

Who is the Coach of Cov. Cath's Boys team? How long has he coached and what kind of record? Persoanal opinions on how good against competition in his area and role model.

 

Mike Listerman is the coach. He has been coaching basketball since the 70's and has been on the sidelines with some pretty good teams; both as an assistant and a head coach.

 

He has been the head coach at Covington Catholic since 2000 - 2001 season. He was a varsity assistant and JV head coach at Cov Cath for some 17 years (give or take a few) before he took over for Coach Dan Tieman. He is a religious, family man and truly cares about his players (present & past).

 

There are always debates over his coaching style & postseason success; however, you'll never hear one peep about his character and passion (about Cov Cath, basketball, family, etc.). People joke about how he sweats & jumps on the sidelines, but he'll give you the shirt off of his back on a cold day just as quickly as he'll put his arm around a referee.

 

He surrounds himself with people who are successful as well, which is, IMO, one of his biggest assets.

 

When your critics biggest complaint is that he should have won more with the talent he's had, yet he's won as much as anybody, you must be doing something right.

As far as being a role model, I don't think you can find a better one in a coach in the state. Coach Listerman is a hard working individual who puts others first. And that includes running basketball camps for under-privileged kids from having his team perform community service, to name a few.

I'm not gonna say much (hopefully) because I offend too many people.

 

I am a former player (very recent). I received plenty of playing time (I am not jealous) and my parents are big Coach L supporters (I am not the mouthpiece of my parents's complaints).

 

Coach L is a good man, and he tries harder than anyone out there, which makes it difficult to publicly criticize him. But my experiences in his system were not all positive, as a lot of people like to portray. Many former and current players are in agreement with me.

Just an observation......all the coaches mentioned are "good" coaches in someones eyes, however many times I think some of the better coaches also include the ones from smaller schools who get little recognition, but get a ton out of what they have (a couple that come to mind are Dilts and Vandermeer) Thus, my pick would include Fausz, who somewhat fits that "smaller school" description. JMO

 

Says who? Many including me would disagreee. Does he have the most talent year in year out? yeah. Is he the best coach???? Questionable. I like Faust as #1 but that is being biased.

 

I also like Mike Code as the next best coach in NKY. Then Henley, then Schlarman, then Jim Hicks at Conner. Then possibly my 6th pick as a coach would be Mike Listerman.

 

But I still like a lot of the young coaches around also....Sullivan will be good eventually when he gets some talent, Carr is going to pay off eventually, and Trent Stiener also is a good coach at SK.

 

People in Boone Co don't like what McQueary is doing but, all the coaches in the region seem to have his back and respect everything he has done also.

 

NKY is loaded with some good coaches.

I'm not gonna say much (hopefully) because I offend too many people.

 

I am a former player (very recent). I received plenty of playing time (I am not jealous) and my parents are big Coach L supporters (I am not the mouthpiece of my parents's complaints).

 

Coach L is a good man, and he tries harder than anyone out there, which makes it difficult to publicly criticize him. But my experiences in his system were not all positive, as a lot of people like to portray. Many former and current players are in agreement with me.

 

No doubt about it - Coach L is far from perfect; however, the further removed from your playing days you get the more respect you will have for him.

 

With that said, he has plenty of flaws as an X's & O's coach. But, he runs a clean program and teaches his team a lot more than about basketball. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is the most important aspect of coaching high school basketball, IMO.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.