What do we KNOW about Obama?

Run To State promoted some research on this topic, from another thread. I have used mostly wikipedia.com as my source and the topic will be ongoing for me. I am currently reading "Audacity of Hope" by Obama and will perhaps add some from it. I am giving a basic history of what we KNOW about Obama up to his bid for presidency.

Born

• 1961, Honolulu, Hawaii

Early life

• Parents separated when he was 2. His father was killed in a car wreck when Obama was 19. His mother remarried and moved to Indonesia when Obama was 6. At age10, he moved to Hawaii to live with his maternal grandparents. His mother died from ovarian cancer when Obama was 34.

College years

• Occidental College (2 years)

• Columbia University – political science and international relations, graduated with a BA after 2 years there

Early work

• Four years in NYC working for Business International Corporation and New York Public Interest Research Group

Community organizer

• 4 years as director of the Developing Communities Project (church-based)

• Helped set up a job training program

• College preparatory tutoring program

• Tenant’s rights organization

Law school graduate

• Harvard University, summa cum laude

• First ever black editor of the Harvard Law Review

Attorney

• Civil rights litigation

• Neighborhood economic development

Constitutional law teacher

• University of Chicago for 12 years

Illinois state senator, sponsoring laws that:

• Increased tax credits for low income workers

• Negotiated welfare reform

• Bi-partisan legislation for ethics reform and healthcare laws

• Bi-partisan legislation for monitoring racial profiling by police (use of mandated videotaping of homicide interrogations)

• Death penalty reform (backed by police organizations)

Illinois US senator

• Co-sponsored the “Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act” introduced by McCain (passed the Senate, failed in the House”

• Supported the “Secure Fence Act,” authorizing construction of fencing, etc, along the US-Mexican border. Signed into law.

• Successfully introduced initiatives with Republicans Richard Lugar and Tom Coburn that helped reduce/eliminate nuclear, chemical and biological weapons in the former USSR and similar countries. Later to add RPG and similar weapons.

• Successfully introduced the “Coburn-Obama Transparency Act” that requires full disclosure of all entities and organizations receiving Federal funds.

• Sponsored legislation requiring plant owners to notify state and local authorities of radioactive leaks. (blocked by partisan disputes, later reintroduced)

• Primary sponsor of the Democratic Republic of the Congo Relief, Security and Democracy Promotion Act, signed into law.

• “Honest Leadership and Open Government Act” – signed into law – eliminated the ability of Congress to take gifts of travel on corporate jets by lobbyists and required disclosure of bundled campaign contributions.

• Introduced S.453, designed to criminalize deceptive practices in federal elections.

• Co-sponsored bill with Sen. McCain to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2/3rds by 2050.

• Introduced “Iraq War De-Escalation Act of 2007,” designed to cap troop levels in Iraq and begin pull out.

• Sponsored amendment to the Defense Authorization Act, giving safeguards for personality disorder discharges for the military

• Worked with Rep. Chuch Hagel to produce legislation to reduce risks of nuclear terrorism. (passed as an amendment to another bill)

• Sponsored an amendment that provided one year of job protection for family members caring for soldiers with combat-related injuries.

• Committee work on:

o Foreign Relations: traveled to the former USSR to determine strategies to control WMD, etc.; met with Palistinian students and commented “the US will never recognize winning Hamas candidates unless the group renounces its fundamental mission to eliminate Israel”. Also traveled to Kuwait, Iraq, South Africa, Kenya, Djibouti, Ethiopia, and Chad. In Kenya, he spoke out against political corruption and ethnic rivalries.

o Environment and Public Works

o Veterans’ Affairs

o Health, Education, Labor and Pensions

o Homeland Security and Government Affairs

o Chairman of Subcommittee on European Affairs

I have tried to avoid opinion on these things and at least attempted to submit fact. Feel free to add/discuss.

I don't want info like when or where he was born or where he went to school, I want info on how he votes, and most importantly, what has he really done, accomplishments. You know, things that will tell me why he would be a good president.

Did you look at the sections where I list what legislation he proposed and what committees he worked on? I will see what information I can find on voting records, too, but to me those aren't as clear cut, as sometimes attachments and ammendments actually can go away from the piece's original intent.

Just heard on the news from Rush that He has said that when he is president every child will speak Spanish. OH MY and I thought we were trying to get evrone to speak English.

Ummm....not sure about other schools, but in my kids' grade school, they took Spanish every year until 8th grade.

I see no problem with children learning Spanish.

Also, where Obama was born is relevant to know, as it proves he's a natural born citizen, which qualifies him to be president of the US. :D

Just heard on the news from Rush that He has said that when he is president every child will speak Spanish. OH MY and I thought we were trying to get evrone to speak English.

Well, I am sure that if Rush said it, I know that it has to be true. :lol:

I do wish we could require a second language for all children, though. I have some friends from Spain. One speaks Spanish, English, and German fluently and is pretty good with Italian. The other speaks Spanish and English fluently and is teaching himself French to be more marketable for his career.

From the Georgetown College website.

Language Proficiency

Students must demonstrate a language proficiency through the intermediate level. Students with two years or more of German or Latin at the high school level desiring to continue in the same language must take the departmental placement exam. Students with two years of French or Spanish at the high school level desiring to continue in the same language must enroll in the 102 level course, or they may take the placement exam to attempt to place into 201. Those with more than two years of high school study in French or Spanish are required to take a placement exam to determine placement in 102 or higher. Students for whom English is a second language are exempt from the foreign language requirement in the General Education Curriculum. Heritage speakers should consult with the chair of MCLC.

Commie pinkos...

Ummm....not sure about other schools, but in my kids' grade school, they took Spanish every year until 8th grade.

I see no problem with children learning Spanish.

Also, where Obama was born is relevant to know, as it proves he's a natural born citizen, which qualifies him to be president of the US. :D

I didn't say it wasn't relevant, just that I'm not interested in it. I'll look over the info you all post when I get home from work, I have very limited time to be on BGP while at work.

I'm not opposed to that. I would also support that every child and adult in this country more than 3-5 years will also speak English, at least the americanized version(where football does not mean soccer).

I'm not opposed to that. I would also support that every child and adult in this country more than 3-5 years will also speak English, at least the americanized version(where football does not mean soccer).

"football" does not mean soccer

"futbol" does

:flame:

I am not oppose to a second language , but not required. People comming to this country should learn to speak English , when in public. Yes most people from other countries speak their language and English. Not opposed, just do not like it being a requirement. We may be a melting pot , but it is still America.

I am not oppose to a second language , but not required. People comming to this country should learn to speak English , when in public. Yes most people from other countries speak their language and English. Not opposed, just do not like it being a requirement. We may be a melting pot , but it is still America.

When you go overseas, should you be expected to speak their language in public as a tourist? If you mean if they are coming for citizenship that is a different request.