What do we KNOW about Obama?

I am not oppose to a second language , but not required. People comming to this country should learn to speak English , when in public. Yes most people from other countries speak their language and English. Not opposed, just do not like it being a requirement. We may be a melting pot , but it is still America.
:thumb:

Did you look at the sections where I list what legislation he proposed and what committees he worked on? I will see what information I can find on voting records, too, but to me those aren't as clear cut, as sometimes attachments and ammendments actually can go away from the piece's original intent.
I did indeed, but I don't see anything there that really tells me what he's accomplished. I mean, what has he run, business or govt wise? A senator is fine, but at this point he's nothing but a greenhorn. I guess what I'm asking is, how has he served this country enough to warrant being the leader of this great country? He's shown me nothing. You?

When you go overseas, should you be expected to speak their language in public as a tourist? If you mean if they are coming for citizenship that is a different request.

If I plan on ever living in another country, I don't expect them to speak English, I would think they would expect me to be able to communicate in their language, and it shouldn't be any different here.

If I plan on ever living in another country, I don't expect them to speak English, I would think they would expect me to be able to communicate in their language, and it shouldn't be any different here.

I must agree.

Although I don't have a problem with teaching kids a 2nd language in school. My step brother is 7 and can already speak some German because he has learned it in school. I wish I learned German or Spanish or Arabic or any other language when I was young.

I did indeed, but I don't see anything there that really tells me what he's accomplished. I mean, what has he run, business or govt wise? A senator is fine, but at this point he's nothing but a greenhorn. I guess what I'm asking is, how has he served this country enough to warrant being the leader of this great country? He's shown me nothing. You?

I would say that some of the legislation that he has worked on that has passed is important. Also, does being a businessman make you a good leader for a country? I am not too happy at this point with the current businessman that we have in office. Seems like his business would be bankrupt at this point, as he started out in the green and is now in the red.

Anyone have a list of other presidents that were businessmen?

Edited by True blue (and gold)
typo

I must agree.

Although I don't have a problem with teaching kids a 2nd language in school. My step brother is 7 and can already speak some German because he has learned it in school. I wish I learned German or Spanish or Arabic or any other language when I was young.

It depends on to what degree we're talking about. I mean, when I was in HS, we were required to take 2 years of either French or Spanish. I'm by no means fluent in it, but I know enough that I could survive for a while in a country where it was the only language. It definitely can't hurt as far as career opportunities go.

I would say that some of the legislation that he has worked on that has passed is important. Also, does being a businessman make you a good leader for a country? I am not too happy at this point with the current businessman that we have in office. Seems like his business would be bankrupt at this point, as he started out in the green and is not in the red.

Anyone have a list of other presidents that were businessmen?

I think it's important to show you can run something. Again I have to ask, how has Obama served this country enough to warrant being the leader of this country? He's just too green at this point for me.

But is this really different then it has ever been with immigrants in our country? Let's say 100 years ago, did all immigrants from Germany learn to speak English? Wasn't it usually the second generation that became bi-lingual and the third generation usually only English speakers? I think it is more of an issue today then it was then, due to the numbers and our disdain for illegal immigrants.

I think it's important to show you can run something. Again I have to ask, how has Obama served this country enough to warrant being the leader of this country? He's just too green at this point for me.

My words exactly. :thumb: Thanks again.