Ricciardi (Blue Jays GM) on Adam Dunn

Ricciardi Doesn't Like Dunn

It certainly doesn't sound like the Blue Jays will be going after Adam Dunn while J.P. Ricciardi is at the helm. Check out this interview Ricciardi did with Mike Wilner of The Fan 590.

First a fan calls up and asks Ricciardi whether the Jays have interest in Dunn. Ricciardi replies that he's not interested in Dunn. Then he says:

"Maybe we have more information and know the player a little more than the average fan."

Interesting. Another fan calls up and says he's surprised Ricciardi would be so quick to dismiss a power bat like Dunn. Ricciardi really goes off on Dunn this time:

"He's a lifetime .230-.240 hitter that strikes out a ton and hits home runs.

Did you know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much? Did you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here...We've done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there's a reason why we don't want Adam Dunn."

This is all per MLBtraderumors.com

Your Thoughts?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're talking numbers.

What about these numbers?

.494 - Riccardi's Winning Percentage as a GM. (6 1/2 years)

0 - # of times they've made the post season with him as GM

0 - % chance they're going to make it this year

100% - chance they have of reversing this trend

If this is Epstein or Scheurholz, or anyone with a winning track record for that matter, then this comments would have an ounce of credibility.

I know he's a much better defender but he's talking offense here so will I, so keep in mind this is the same guy who gave Vernon Wells a 7 year - $126 Million extension to put up numbers no where near that of Dunn.

Great eye.

I know he's a much better defender but he's talking offense here so will I, so keep in mind this is the same guy who gave Vernon Wells a 7 year - $126 Million extension to put up numbers no where near that of Dunn.

Great eye.

You should be the GM of the Jays!!

Dunn's response:

“I don’t know the clown. You can use the word clown.”

“I’ve seen it, I haven’t heard it. I really don’t care what one guy thinks, to be honest with you. If I’m a GM, I don’t know that I’d go out of my way to discredit a player.”

Will he try to take it out on Toronto?

“The players didn’t say it. It’s just some clown sitting in a front office pushing paper. I don’t play for any other reason than the guys

(this clubhouse). I’ve said it all along, it doesn’t bother me what people say or think, especially someone outside of the organization who has no idea of anything that goes on here. He’s not even in our country.”

“He felt like he needed to say it for some reason, I have no idea why and I don’t care. He could be in this clubhouse right now, I wouldn’t know. I couldn’t tell you his name, what he looks like – he’s got a big mouth, that’s all I know about him.”

“I’m not going to sit here and defend someone who’s going to sit there and say I don’t care about baseball. It (ticks) me off, to be honest with you. He doesn’t even know me. If he knew me, fine. Say what you want. But this guy doesn’t know anything about me other than what he sees on whatever SportsCenter they have on up there.”

Dunn's response:

“I’ve seen it, I haven’t heard it. I really don’t care what one guy thinks, to be honest with you. If I’m a GM, I don’t know that I’d go out of my way to discredit a player.”

“The players didn’t say it. It’s just some clown sitting in a front office pushing paper. I don’t play for any other reason than the guys

(this clubhouse). I’ve said it all along, it doesn’t bother me what people say or think, especially someone outside of the organization who has no idea of anything that goes on here. He’s not even in our country.”

“He felt like he needed to say it for some reason, I have no idea why and I don’t care. He could be in this clubhouse right now, I wouldn’t know. I couldn’t tell you his name, what he looks like – he’s got a big mouth, that’s all I know about him.”

“I’m not going to sit here and defend someone who’s going to sit there and say I don’t care about baseball. It (ticks) me off, to be honest with you. He doesn’t even know me. If he knew me, fine. Say what you want. But this guy doesn’t know anything about me other than what he sees on whatever SportsCenter they have on up there.”

The guy has no right to say what he said IMO. I love what Adam had to say back.

Dunn's response:

I love it!

You should be the GM of the Jays!!
No thanks!

I'll tell you this though, if have a losing record over 6 + years and show no signs of improving im not ripping potential playersin the media. That's not only stupid but classeless.

This guy won't last another 6+ years there.

Since we're talking numbers.

What about these numbers?

.494 - Riccardi's Winning Percentage as a GM. (6 1/2 years)

0 - # of times they've made the post season with him as GM

0 - % chance they're going to make it this year

100% - chance they have of reversing this trend

If this is Epstein or Scheurholz, or anyone with a winning track record for that matter, then this comments would have an ounce of credibility.

In Ricciardi's six years as Toronto's GM, the Blue Jays have had a better record than the Reds four times. One year they had the same number of wins, and one year the Reds had the better record. And that's while playing in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees.

You can rip Ricciardi all you want, but he's probably espousing a view that isn't uncommon around baseball, and he's apparently done a better job of building competitive teams than his counterparts in Cincinnati.