McCain: It can be “tough” to be proud of USA

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate John McCain admitted on Saturday it can be difficult at times to be proud of the United States.

“I’ll admit to you … that it’s tough in some respects,” McCain said when asked by a questioner at a town hall meeting how to be proud of the country.

“We have not always done things right and we mismanaged the war in Iraq very badly for nearly four years.”

McCain’s wife, Cindy, pounced on Michelle Obama, the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama, for saying in February that she was proud of her country “for the first time in my adult life.”

LINK

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting comment and I will agree totally with Sen. McCain here. To me, the most frightening group of citizens are the ones that blindly agree with every decision that our country has ever made.

I agree. :thumb:

Come on hb, would it have been so tough to include the last couple lines?

The Arizona senator said it was important for the United States to be more humble and inclusive.

“I think we can be proud of America because of what we’ve achieved and accomplished in this world,” he said.

“What we have to do is tell our friends around the world that we will be proud of America because of what we’re going to do.”

I can certainly see a big difference between how this is worded and how Michelle Obama worded her statement. I don't think Obama would get drilled if he had made this statment except by those who are going to drill one side or the other no matter what.

The Arizona senator said it was important for the United States to be more humble and inclusive.

“I think we can be proud of America because of what we’ve achieved and accomplished in this world,” he said.

“What we have to do is tell our friends around the world that we will be proud of America because of what we’re going to do.”

I can certainly see a big difference between how this is worded and how Michelle Obama worded her statement. I don't think Obama would get drilled if he had made this statment except by those who are going to drill one side or the other no matter what.

I see your point, 75, but I am really encouraged by a presidental candidate that is willing to believe, an even say, that our country is not without it's faults, but we plan on making it as great as it can be. To me, that was the most important part of what Sen. McCain said.

It's not that hard to click a link. When I post stories I always post only part of it and then I provide the link. I had no motives for leaving the last part out, I just randomly highlighted a certain amount and then posted.

And yes, Obama would have gotten drilled for saying this IMO.

Saying it can be difficult at times to be proud of the United States is worlds apart from saying you're proud of your country “for the first time in my adult life.” Especially when the only reason she said is is because her husband is running for president. Biggest case of apples to oranges I've seen in a long time.

:thumb:

What I hate to see is that FOX news drills everything Obama does, and they paint McCain to be the saint. I understand biases because I have and will continue to support Barack Obama. I'm pretty sure he won't be the best president we hve ever had, but I like his energy and enthusiaism for the job. He seems to have a passion to make America better for everyone. I have disliked Bush since the first time I ever listened to him speak. He has created a sharp divide in the country IMO, and yes at times has made it hard for me to be proud of the things the USA has done or is currently doing.