Breathitt Co. Coach Resigns:

Well, I wish it would just hurry and get over with so we at Owsley County will have some idea what needs to be done for the future of our program. I hope we can get off this one and done deal with head coaches. It's difficult enough the way it is with our small enrollment. Without some consistency in the head coach position, we will struggle in our basketball program.

Between 1978 and 2001 we had 3 coaches...Charlie Turner, Larry Sparks, and Tim Bobrowski. The results of that stability were 8 district championships, 2 regional tournament runner-ups, 4 regional All A championships (state runner-up in 1990 and a semi-final finish in 2000).

Being a small school does not mean you can't succeed. But it takes stability to do it. We need a quality coach who will stay with us for a while. I will guaratee them they will not find a more loyal and supportive fan base anywhere in Kentucky. Owsley Countians love their maroon and white!!!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wish it would just hurry and get over with so we at Owsley County will have some idea what needs to be done for the future of our program. I hope we can get off this one and done deal with head coaches. It's difficult enough the way it is with our small enrollment. Without some consistency in the head coach position, we will struggle in our basketball program.

Between 1978 and 2001 we had 3 coaches...Charlie Turner, Larry Sparks, and Tim Bobrowski. The results of that stability were 8 district championships, 2 regional tournament runner-ups, 4 regional All A championships (state runner-up in 1990 and a semi-final finish in 2000).

Being a small school does not mean you can't succeed. But it takes stability to do it. We need a quality coach who will stay with us for a while. I will guaratee them they will not find a more loyal and supportive fan base anywhere in Kentucky. Owsley Countians love their maroon and white!!!

:thumb:

Great post Professor :thumb:

:thumb:I'm with you Professor. Time now to crap or get off the pot.

Stay and :fight: or Just:walk:away

Well said Professor! The Owls have accomplished more with less students than anyone in the 14th. Their fans and staff are loyal and true. It would be a great place for a young coach to go and grow old in a program. Especially with the wealth of knowledge that is there to help him in Bobrowski and Turner if he needs it. Basketball in Booneville is a time honored tradition like no other. Good luck to the fans, players, and staff in finding the right fit.

Breathitt job will be filled July 15th and all this will be over:argue::fight:

Looks like the Supt. it going to wait until the very last minute---Remind me of what those blue banners hanging in Jackson say--is it "Breathitt County --Where Your Kids Come First"???????????????:laugh:

100% true. I don't even know if Owsley's system should want him back. This is know way to do a school system. Make your choice.

Agreed! Owsley should terminate his contract, if possible, and move on. Most coaches expect loyalty and committment from their players. What about his? Let him go to wherever he wants. I wouldn't want him back now.

Agreed! Owsley should terminate his contract, if possible, and move on. Most coaches expect loyalty and committment from their players. What about his? Let him go to wherever he wants. I wouldn't want him back now.

I don't know how to look at this situation anymore, but I'm trying my best to kind of see where Coach Noble is coming from. I realize that he told the Owsley County administrators that he would stay around for a while. And that was very, very important to the Owsley officials, because they had been on a roller coaster of coaches in recent years, which is not the best of ways to build a program.

But maybe Doug's Breathitt roots are so overwhelming that he wants to go back regardless. Both he and his wife are graduates of the school. And maybe the 60 mile round trip everyday with gas prices as they currently are is also a factor in his thinking. Maybe these kind of things add up, and maybe one can change their feelings toward a system that has ignored them several times in the past. I'm trying to understand all these things, but at the same time I'm an Owls fan through and through, and I want my county and kids to be treated fairly. This has gone on too long. The dead period is almost over and summer practice and camps will be the norm until schools start back in early August. The Owsley people, and Breathitt's for that matter, need to know what the future holds...and soon.

I cannot believe it--wait--yes I can believe it----July 15th--A decision being made on the last day allowed by law in order for a teacher to be released from a contract--if the sending school should choose to not release a teacher. Today's talk indicates that the Board Chair has given in to the hiring of Noble as the coach at BHS--simply for the politics and the fact that Whitaker's price tag was way out of the budget range??? From the talk that I have heard, the Owsley folks are anxious to move on in a new direction---and Breathitt's deliberate delay has not delayed the plans for a Noble replacement--afterall, if someone does not appreciate having a secure coaching position and prefers to be a second choice for another team--good luck! Hope it last for at least one season!:dancingpa The sad part is what this type of action does to KIDS!:confused:

I don't know how to look at this situation anymore, but I'm trying my best to kind of see where Coach Noble is coming from. I realize that he told the Owsley County administrators that he would stay around for a while. And that was very, very important to the Owsley officials, because they had been on a roller coaster of coaches in recent years, which is not the best of ways to build a program.

But maybe Doug's Breathitt roots are so overwhelming that he wants to go back regardless. Both he and his wife are graduates of the school. And maybe the 60 mile round trip everyday with gas prices as they currently are is also a factor in his thinking. Maybe these kind of things add up, and maybe one can change their feelings toward a system that has ignored them several times in the past. I'm trying to understand all these things, but at the same time I'm an Owls fan through and through, and I want my county and kids to be treated fairly. This has gone on too long. The dead period is almost over and summer practice and camps will be the norm until schools start back in early August. The Owsley people, and Breathitt's for that matter, need to know what the future holds...and soon.

You are 100% correct Professor!!! I am not a bit surprised by the actions of the Breathitt administration--my surprise comes from the way Doug has handled this situation. :confused:

:thumb::thumb:

I cannot believe it--wait--yes I can believe it----July 15th--A decision being made on the last day allowed by law in order for a teacher to be released from a contract--if the sending school should choose to not release a teacher. Today's talk indicates that the Board Chair has given in to the hiring of Noble as the coach at BHS--simply for the politics and the fact that Whitaker's price tag was way out of the budget range??? From the talk that I have heard, the Owsley folks are anxious to move on in a new direction---and Breathitt's deliberate delay has not delayed the plans for a Noble replacement--afterall, if someone does not appreciate having a secure coaching position and prefers to be a second choice for another team--good luck! Hope it last for at least one season!:dancingpa The sad part is what this type of action does to KIDS!:confused: