Breathitt Co. Coach Resigns:

Lets get it over with hire someone so life in both counties can get back to normal. Hopefully If Noble does leave, Owsley will hire someone from within the school system so they will stay awhile and build the program up again if it can be. Maybe a Dan Marshall who helped Tim Bob a few years. Its going to take a few years whoever gets it. Who knows maybe Gary Cornett who coached the girls for the last half of the season last year. Just talking in case Noble does leave Owsley. Doc. Mayes might come out of retirement who knows.

I agree Owsley does need to have a plan for when or if Coach Noble decides to leave. I also agree they need to get someone within the school system or the county to coach. I would love to see Dan Marshall take over but that is probably unlikely as Owsley passed on him and decided to hire Buddy Cornwell a couple years ago, we all know who that worked out. I highly doubt that Gary Cornett would take over because he is the assistant coach for the girls and likes that position where he has night classes. I would like to see Bobby Bowling who was the assistant coach under Greg Parrett get the oppurnity to coach he has been chopping at the bit to coach. Get someone that is going to stay in Owsley and get this program built back to where it use to be in the late 90's. Heck who knows Tim Bobrowski might even come back let's all hope for that.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to a person that will help with the hiring of the new coach last night and he told me that there has been only two so far put in for this job. One was Doug Noble and the other was Kyle Lively. They also said that another had talked of being interested but hasn't really come forth yet. I will wait to see if he does before I mention his name. You guys are crazy if you think that Doug wouldn't be interested in this job. He has wanted it for the last 10 years.

Absolutely--This would be a "dream job" for any Breathitt Countian who has a passion for coaching and basketball ----butttttttttttt--you would be getting into a situation that is RULED by politics--not "what's best for education and athletics"--that is the facts--Breathitt basketball would not be where it is today if it was not for the politics. If people think it is going to change--they are kidding themselves. IMO Doug is a class act and does not need to get caught back up in the mess of Breathitt County politics--but of course it is Doug's decision.:confused:

I agree Owsley does need to have a plan for when or if Coach Noble decides to leave. I also agree they need to get someone within the school system or the county to coach. I would love to see Dan Marshall take over but that is probably unlikely as Owsley passed on him and decided to hire Buddy Cornwell a couple years ago, we all know who that worked out. I highly doubt that Gary Cornett would take over because he is the assistant coach for the girls and likes that position where he has night classes. I would like to see Bobby Bowling who was the assistant coach under Greg Parrett get the oppurnity to coach he has been chopping at the bit to coach. Get someone that is going to stay in Owsley and get this program built back to where it use to be in the late 90's. Heck who knows Tim Bobrowski might even come back let's all hope for that.

I doubt that Tim would want to coach again--but who knows. I am sure the district administrators are thinking about the future of the boys program and will do what they feel is best for the athletes and the program. The timing of a potential vacancy will definitely present a challenge for the school district--but I am sure a lot of thought will go into any decision made.

The only reason that they won't hire Napier for coach is that he isn't going to bring any players with him like Noble or Lively would. If they hire Lively they are going to get Salyers back, and if they hire Noble they are going to get both Nick and Josh back. Not to mention Doug's middle school sons who are pretty good and the Hensley's man middle school son who is not to bad himself.

The posting for Mr. Napier was a joke--you must be thinking of Denny Fugate who was the Coach at MC Napier many years ago. He played college basketball at EKU in the late 70's. :dancingpa I have heard that is a viable candidate--great friends with the AD--and would bring several athletes with him, etc! He could be a GREAT hire for the supt.!!

Whether or not Doug Noble leaves Owsley County or not, the Owsley County program and players will be taken care of. The administration at Owsley County has shown a level of support and care that is not found in many school districts. What ever decsion that Coach Noble makes, you can rest assured that the Owsley County Schools will make the appropriate moves to see that the players and the program are taken care of.

One thing everyone is missing is Doug must do what is best for his family. Yes he has tremendous support from the Owl faithful and Owsley should be proud of how they rallied behind Coach Noble. With all the history behind Doug at Breathitt being on the wrong side of the admin. on the hiring of a basketball coach, you have to look ahead and notworry about yesterday. I am sure Doug will look Arch in the eye and get a commitment of support before taking things into consideration. But look at the drive he has to make everday and there are health issue in his family he will consider. It is widely thought that Nick wants to play football also. Whatever Coach Noble does I am sure it will for the right reasons and I wish him all the best.

One thing everyone is missing is Doug must do what is best for his family. Yes he has tremendous support from the Owl faithful and Owsley should be proud of how they rallied behind Coach Noble. With all the history behind Doug at Breathitt being on the wrong side of the admin. on the hiring of a basketball coach, you have to look ahead and notworry about yesterday. I am sure Doug will look Arch in the eye and get a commitment of support before taking things into consideration. But look at the drive he has to make everday and there are health issue in his family he will consider. It is widely thought that Nick wants to play football also. Whatever Coach Noble does I am sure it will for the right reasons and I wish him all the best.

Yes--I am sure he will do what he feels is best for his ENTIRE family. Looking the supt. in the eye---"politics are politics". I know that Doug has been down this road before---need not say anything more. As a Bobcat fan, I do not trust some folks to be completely honest with any new coach---the administration will figure out what is best for their current "political situation" and they will act accordingly--based on What is BEST for them--not a new coach and not the kids!!!

Breathitt will do what is best to improve the basketball team which is hire Doug, because he is bringing kids with him and one of the top players in the region. They only want him because of Nick and Josh nothing more. I just hope Doug can see throught the flase front that Arch is putting up.

Has Noble been offered the job? I was under the impression that he and some others had applied, including former Bobcat Kyle Lively. This thread makes it seem as if he has the job if he wants it. I think there will be more to apply before the 30 day period is up.

:confused:

Breathitt will do what is best to improve the basketball team which is hire Doug, because he is bringing kids with him and one of the top players in the region. They only want him because of Nick and Josh nothing more. I just hope Doug can see throught the flase front that Arch is putting up.

:confused:Well I'm afraid that hasn't been the case over the last few years. For example, Coach Denny takes Breathitt to Rupp in 95 I think, fired the next year! One mistake follows another and another. They hire Jim Rose who was in the twilight of his career and really never could or did get anything going. Breathitt sank to never before lows. Then they hire Chris Baker, a good move by all accounts. He revived the program in a couple of short years and played Whitesburg for the title falling just a bit short and the next year getting beat out in a fiasco in Powell Co. Fired for his efforts even though the next year looked even more promising and 3 straight 20 plus win seasons under his belt. Enter coach Hall who had two great years with 20 plus wins and regional challenges and then a rebuilding year which was used to fire him. Enter Banks, who should have never been placed in that position imo. Now he's gone. Out of every firing and hiring above every move with perhaps the hiring of Baker and maybe Hall was political in nature, mostly driven by parents of disgruntled players or parents who wanted their kid's star to shine.

With all of that said I don't see it getting a whole lot better. In most programs if you win you can fend off the special interests. Not the case here, as evidenced by the firing of Denny! I'd sure like to see things get on a good track, but I don't hold out a lot of hope. And as someone mentioned, it's our fault for continuing to vote in the administrators!

I agree, I know Doug is a class act person as well as a good coach, if Arch would hire him and then leave him alone like he does the football program then I think by the end of the year the Bobcats would be right there in the hurt for the championship. I think that this is right but my understanding is that if Doug stays at Owsley and if Nick stays then the Salyers kid is coming there also. I know he is playing summer ball with PCC but the kid hasn't played in a year and I think that is good that he is travling and playing and with what I have heard is that he is doing quite well at PCC he is either the first man off the bench or he is in the starting lineup and Coach Hatcher is really inpressed with him. I know that early in the spring that Mr. Salyers was coaching Owsley's AAU team and they had a big win against South Laural and Mr. Salyers and Coach Noble are good friends and what if Noble does get hired will Salyers come back and help Noble coach, that would be a start of a good coaching staff. JMO:banana:

Has Noble been offered the job? I was under the impression that he and some others had applied, including former Bobcat Kyle Lively. This thread makes it seem as if he has the job if he wants it. I think there will be more to apply before the 30 day period is up.

I would hope that Arch goes ahead and hires or has the BHS Principal after consulting with his council hire someone as soon as possible. I am sure he knows who is going to be hired right now. There are waivers for the 30 day period--he could have already had someone hired if he so choosed--so he should get it done so the rumors will stop and the kids can get on with their summer basketball after the dead period coming up for the next two weeks.

I am tired of the political games played by some--It is a bit ironic that those blue banners hang around Breathitt County marketing the philosophy "Where KIDS Come First"---I belive there could be a typo--and the 'FIR' should really be 'LA'???:rolleyes:

As far as I know, two people has put in applications in for the opening. Doug Noble, and Kyle Lively. I know Kyle and his family and he has told me that he doesnt see himself getting hired if doug wants the job. My brother and nick played football for a year together and are pretty good friend and nick told him that Doug was pretty sure that he will take the job. The only thing that Doug is waiting on is some kinda guarentee with arch that he wont be fired after nick leaves.