Is Phil Jackson...

the best coach of all time or the coach that has had the best talent on his teams???

The man has won 9 NBA titles in an era in which the talent level has been it's highest ever.

Phil won his first titles with Jordan & Pippen but somehow Doug Collins couldn't win titles when he was coaching Jordan & Pippen or even reach the finals for that matter.

Phil also won titles with Shaq & Kobe but somehow Del Harris & Kurt Rambis couldn't win titles in the 3 years they coached the dynamic duo. BTW, they didn't reach the NBA finals either.

It's not the players, it's the coach.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to thinking about this earlier. A legitimate argument can be made for Phil as the greatest of all time.

The "best talent" comment is true, but name me any all time great coach that was not linked to some superstars.

Edited by bugatti

I think when it is all said and done and finally decides to retire, he will be known as the greatest coach ever, IMO. He has always had good talent, but so what...like bugatti said, who hasn't.

Plus I believe that he has dealt with some crazy personalities and was able to keep his team focused enough to win. Any player who can keep Dennis Rodman's head in a game has to be a smart coach. Plus, his triangle offense was brilliant. I am a lil biased towards Phil Jackson, definitely my favorite coach in the NBA.

Not every coach wins with the best talent. I mean whoever coached the Wizards when Jordan was there didn't win (granted that Jordan was older). Phil is possibly the best coach ever.

Haha...I know this arguement is favorable for Phil Jackson, but I woudn't even bring this up, lol.

Not every coach wins with the best talent.

:thumb:

Even the great Pat Riley couldn't win a title with the Knicks when he had Ewing, Starks & Jackson. Of course, he was going against the great Phil Jackson with MJ & Scottie.

I wouldn't exactly say best coach. But hands down the best motivator and "manager" of egos.

Which makes him top notch PRO coach. He wouldn't be as successful at the college or high school level, most likely.

Hill couldn't win with Shaq and Penny.

As far as great coach with less talent, Lenny Wilkins comes to mind. Other than Jack Sikma and Dennis Johnson, he wasn't blessed with an awful lot year in and year out. Still has the all-time lead in victories.

It does help to have some great players. But there are many coaches in the NBA right now who have great players and they will be watching the NBA finals along with all of us over the next two weeks. Having good players is just a very small part of being a great coach.

I am torn during these finals because I would really like to see Phil Jackson win another ring, but at the same time I definitely wanna see Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett win one as well. Plus its hard to cheer against a Wildcat in Rondo.

the best coach of all time or the coach that has had the best talent on his teams???

The man has won 9 NBA titles in an era in which the talent level has been it's highest ever.

Phil won his first titles with Jordan & Pippen but somehow Doug Collins couldn't win titles when he was coaching Jordan & Pippen or even reach the finals for that matter.

Phil also won titles with Shaq & Kobe but somehow Del Harris & Kurt Rambis couldn't win titles in the 3 years they coached the dynamic duo. BTW, they didn't reach the NBA finals either.

It's not the players, it's the coach.

I think Phil's in the conversation if not at the top.

As to the bolded you could be right but I'm not sure it's a slam dunk that this era is the most talented. There are more teams than ever which delutes some of the talent overall. I'm not sure how many of these are "great players" or "greatly hyped" players.

The era of the late 60's and early 70's had some pretty formidable talent. Then look at the 80's and you see the same.

Not every coach wins with the best talent. I mean whoever coached the Wizards when Jordan was there didn't win (granted that Jordan was older). Phil is possibly the best coach ever.

That's pretty much my argument.

You could give the best coach in the world a team with no talent and they'll do poorly probably. But the reverse is usually true as well. A poor coach does not win even with great talent, and in the NBA that's just often a function of a star player not getting along with that poor coach.

The reality is that Phil is a great coach that has been blessed with great talent, and he has parlayed that into 9 championships. He's a lucky and smart man.

If he's not, then he as to be in the top 2. His triangle offense, with the help of his staff, has been very beneficial for both perimeter and post players.

Maybe some better, at aspects of the games but if you're basing off Championships with multiple teams, hard to not say he's the best.