Is Phil Jackson...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Phil is the best...after his current Lakers team finishes the run it's starting this year, I don't expect this to be nearly as much of a debate.

I think the way he's brought this current Laker team along goes a little way toward dispelling that notion that Phil only goes to teams loaded with talent and ready to win.

It's true he took the Bulls and Lakers, both teams with all-time great duos, and lead them to three-peats, but at the same time, those teams never won until Phil came on board. That argument can go both ways.

I respect anyone's opinion that disagrees, assuming they pick a great coach like Red or Pat Riley, but for my money, I'd take Phil Jackson. I think his ability to mold the team around his stars is very overlooked...in both Chicago and LA he's done a masterful job of developing his bench. He establishes roles for the players and does a great job of getting them to buy into it and maximize their ability...not only that, but he uses that to establish an identity for the bench as a whole. It's almost like his bench is a team within the team, and I think that makes them play with more confidence and pride. And, he shows great confidence in his role players...much more than most coaches. Game 5 of the western finals was a perfect example when he allowed his bench to stay in the game with a 17 point deficit, rather than panic and go back to his starters. I think moves like that pay off later on because it gives the bench a big boost of confidence knowing that their coach trusts them to do their job...

Jerry Sloan had a very strong team with lots of talent in the 90's and he couldn't get it done. Stockton is one of the best point guard to ever play the game, his numbers prove it. And then Malone is a HOF Forward and also a great player. Throw in some solid players like Russel, Ostertag and Hornecek and you have a great team, a loaded team. Jerry Sloan had great talent and couldn't get it done.

I hope you don't think Malone and Stockton are as good as Jordan and Pippen. When the Jazz had their best teams they won the east. But Michael Jordan was there waiting on them.

I think Phil is the best...after his current Lakers team finishes the run it's starting this year, I don't expect this to be nearly as much of a debate.

I think the way he's brought this current Laker team along goes a little way toward dispelling that notion that Phil only goes to teams loaded with talent and ready to win.

It's true he took the Bulls and Lakers, both teams with all-time great duos, and lead them to three-peats, but at the same time, those teams never won until Phil came on board. That argument can go both ways.

I respect anyone's opinion that disagrees, assuming they pick a great coach like Red or Pat Riley, but for my money, I'd take Phil Jackson. I think his ability to mold the team around his stars is very overlooked...in both Chicago and LA he's done a masterful job of developing his bench. He establishes roles for the players and does a great job of getting them to buy into it and maximize their ability...not only that, but he uses that to establish an identity for the bench as a whole. It's almost like his bench is a team within the team, and I think that makes them play with more confidence and pride. And, he shows great confidence in his role players...much more than most coaches. Game 5 of the western finals was a perfect example when he allowed his bench to stay in the game with a 17 point deficit, rather than panic and go back to his starters. I think moves like that pay off later on because it gives the bench a big boost of confidence knowing that their coach trusts them to do their job...

He has done something in this current reign in LA that he hasn't really done before and that is build a team up. Hes done a good job with the role players on this team as well. But I also believe he maybe the luckiest coach to ever coach the game of basketball. He has coached Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Bryant, and now even now he has Odom and Gasol leading an amazing supporting cast for LA.

Great post 5wide.

I hope you don't think Malone and Stockton are as good as Jordan and Pippen. When the Jazz had their best teams they won the east. But Michael Jordan was there waiting on them.

I didn't say that and I didn't mean it either. The Jazz won the West by the way. I am probably the biggest or one of the biggest Jordan fans on here. However, to take credit away from Malone and Stockton is quite absurd. Doesn't Stockton hold the all-time record for assists? Both will be HOF players and bother were named to the NBA Top 50 players of all time back when the did it. My point was after someone had brought up Jerry Sloan...his team was definitely loaded.

He has done something in this current reign in LA that he hasn't really done before and that is build a team up. Hes done a good job with the role players on this team as well. But I also believe he maybe the luckiest coach to ever coach the game of basketball. He has coached Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Bryant, and now even now he has Odom and Gasol leading an amazing supporting cast for LA.

You can definitely argue that he's coached the two best duo's in league history with MJ & Pip and Kobe & Shaq. I'm not saying they are or aren't, just that they're definitely in the discussion. (Although I would argue that Jordan and Pippen is the best duo in league history:D)

But, there's no doubt Phil has had some talent. But, if you look at the other coaches who have won 4+ titles...Riley had Magic and Kareem, D-Wade and Shaq...Red had a dynasty in Boston built around Bill Russell, but he had a lot of talent otherwise. So, all the guys who are in this discussion have not just had good players, but all-time talent. Typically, more than one guy on the all-time list...

You can definitely argue that he's coached the two best duo's in league history with MJ & Pip and Kobe & Shaq. I'm not saying they are or aren't, just that they're definitely in the discussion. (Although I would argue that Jordan and Pippen is the best duo in league history:D)

But, there's no doubt Phil has had some talent. But, if you look at the other coaches who have won 4+ titles...Riley had Magic and Kareem, D-Wade and Shaq...Red had a dynasty in Boston built around Bill Russell, but he had a lot of talent otherwise. So, all the guys who are in this discussion have not just had good players, but all-time talent. Typically, more than one guy on the all-time list...

Popovich had Parker and Duncan

The Rockets team in the 90's had Drexler and Hakeem

I've always felt Phil Jackson was as much psychologist as he was basketball coach...he seems to be a master at pushing the right buttons to get his players and team in the right frame of mind or to get his point across.

I don't view him as a guy who is coaching X's and O's during the game as much as a guy who trusts his players and the job his done in preparing for the game. He'll let them work through a bad stretch oftentimes rather than calling a timeout. I don't question his X and O ability. I think it's very good. But, it's not his biggest strength, IMO.

I've always felt Phil Jackson was as much psychologist as he was basketball coach...he seems to be a master at pushing the right buttons to get his players and team in the right frame of mind or to get his point across.

I couldn't agree with your opinion more on this topic. Like I said earlier, a coach who can keep Rodman's head on straight (for the most part) for so long, must be doing something right. A coach that can keep two all-stars (Kobe and Shaq) to not rip each others' heads off and stay focused enough to win championship must be doing something right there too.

If the Lakers win, he will not only have won the most titles, but let's not forget...coached the best team ever according to record. (72-10)