Back to the '70's:Remember These Underappreciated Bands?

Being child of the 70's I ceretainly remember ELO and Steely Dan (and there are some things in the 70's that are still just a blurr :sssh:, but that is another story :D) .

I loved Steely Dan's music and sound. They had an influece on the Eagles and I loved the Eagles, still do. My favorites of the 70's along with Steely Dan were Three Dog Night, Steve Miller Band and the Doobie Brothers plus probably several others that I am just not thinking of right now.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were recently on a car trip listening to a satellite 70's station. It was fun because we were trying to "guess the artist". I was amazed at how many one hit wonders there were back then, and how many bands we had forgotton.

It was a great trip down memory lane.

:thumb: I can relate, I do that everytime I hrar music from the 70's. A lot of the songs I can still sing along with though. Funny how we can remember things from our youth and I can't rmember what I had for supper yesterday:lol:.

Being child of the 70's I ceretainly remember ELO and Steely Dan (and there are some things in the 70's that are still just a blurr :sssh:, but that is another story :D) .

I loved Steely Dan's music and sound. They had an influece on the Eagles and I loved the Eagles, still do. My favorites of the 70's along with Steely Dan were Three Dog Night, Steve Miller Band and the Doobie Brothers plus probably several others that I am just not thinking of right now.

I agree OR add the Marshall Tucker Band and Orleans to that list for me.

Oftentimes, especially on beautiful summer days, I love to revisit the days of my youth and some of those mellow sounds that helped to make those times so special. Here are five bands that I loved listening to in the '70's. While each enjoyed its share of success, one doesn't often hear these bands mentioned in the same sentence with some of the great bands. However, each of these groups put out some mighty feel good music in the '70's.

How many of these bands do you remember? What was your favorite tune from each ? What would be your list of '70's underappreciated bands...bands that enjoyed some success but maybe didn't quite get the recognition that it deserved?

Tell me what, if anything, you remember about these bands(what song rolls through your mind when you think of these guys):

1. Steely Dan

2. Pablo Cruise

3. Firefall

4. POCO

5. ELO(Electric Light Orchestra)

1. A great band with two creative forces and interchangable parts. If you get the chance to see "Albums" with the Aja episode, do so. Cool stuff in those songs.

2. First concert I went to was Jefferson Starship in '77. The opening act was Pablo Cruise.

3. Firefall was great, and I too liked the "other side of the story" from Cinderella

4. Poco was a great band. Paul Cotton was good and the sound seemed to transform with each different lineup change.

5. I saw ELO in '78 when they were on their "Out of the Blue" tour. The spaceship and laser lights were so new and unreal at the time. Loved their stuff from "El Dorado" to "Discovery." Sidenote: one of my church members worked for the company that did their laser light show. He went on the road for some of the legs of that '78 tour. He said they were really cool guys who were more into health food and stuff than the drugs.

As to the Eagles, they are one of my favorite groups ever. Sorry GT and RM. I love the harmonies, particularly the guitar harmonies when Felder joined the group. "Hotel California" will always be one of the best albums to me.

Of course a truly knowledgeable music fan would know that being influenced by a band has nothing to do with ripping-off anyone. All bands are influenced by other bands that came before them.

No, the Eagles were rip-off "artists." Much the same way that Bush was a straight rip-off of Nirvana, and Seven Mary Three and Creed were straight rip-offs of Pearl Jam. :D:p

Another favorite band of mine in the 70's and I cannot believe that I didn't mention them in my earlier post. ..............................

LYNYRD SKYNRD!!!

They were no doubt my favorite and when you get right down to it they still are. Another band that was a favorite were the "Allman Brothers" band.

I know that the title of this thread was "underappreciated" bands of the 70's and in no way was Skynrd underappreciated so for that part it is off topic. I just wanted to acknowledge them bc I along with others mentioned favorite bands as well.

No, the Eagles were rip-off "artists." Much the same way that Bush was a straight rip-off of Nirvana, and Seven Mary Three and Creed were straight rip-offs of Pearl Jam. :D:p
Disagree with you completely, Jim, the Eagles didn't rip anyone off, influenced by - yes, ripped off - no. You have any idea how many bands were influenced by Zeppelin? I wouldn't say they ripped Zep off. The Eagles simply did a better job of writing music than Poco or The Flying Burrito Brothers and were just better musicians overall. That's why they were so much more successful.

Disagree with you completely, Jim, the Eagles didn't rip anyone off, influenced by - yes, ripped off - no. You have any idea how many bands were influenced by Zeppelin? I wouldn't say they ripped Zep off. The Eagles simply did a better job of writing music than Poco or The Flying Burrito Brothers and were just better musicians overall. That's why they were so much more successful.

:thumb: The Eagles were just more sucsessful as you stated, tha imo is bc they were better. Also I don't believe that there is a band anywhere in any time period that were not influenced by someone.

I was a big fan of ELO pre- Discovery.

Eldorado Overture -

"The dreamer, the unworken fool,

In dreams, no pain will kiss the brow.

The love of ages fills the head.

The days that linger there in prey of emptiness,

Of burned out dreams.

The minutes calling through the years.

The universal dreamer rises up above his earthly burden.

Journey to the dead of night.

High on a hill in eldorado ... dorado ... dorado ... dorado"

fades into my favorite ELO tune "Can't Get It Out of My Head".

My favorite ELO Albums ...

Face the Music - Had the hits "Evil Women" and "Strange Magic". The first cut, "Fire On High", contained the backward masked message "The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back." It was also the theme to the CBS Sports Spectacular. "One Summer Dream" is a great tune from this album.

New World Record - Most air play was given to "Living Thing" and "Telephone Line". "Tight Rope" is about suicide. My favorite cut is "So Fine".

My favorite ELO Albums ...

Face the Music - Had the hits "Evil Women" and "Strange Magic". The first cut, "Fire On High", contained the backward masked message "The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back." It was also the theme to the CBS Sports Spectacular. "One Summer Dream" is a great tune from this album.

New World Record - Most air play was given to "Living Thing" and "Telephone Line". "Tight Rope" is about suicide. My favorite cut is "So Fine".

Sweet stuff.