Back to the '70's:Remember These Underappreciated Bands?

Oftentimes, especially on beautiful summer days, I love to revisit the days of my youth and some of those mellow sounds that helped to make those times so special. Here are five bands that I loved listening to in the '70's. While each enjoyed its share of success, one doesn't often hear these bands mentioned in the same sentence with some of the great bands. However, each of these groups put out some mighty feel good music in the '70's.

How many of these bands do you remember? What was your favorite tune from each ? What would be your list of '70's underappreciated bands...bands that enjoyed some success but maybe didn't quite get the recognition that it deserved?

Tell me what, if anything, you remember about these bands(what song rolls through your mind when you think of these guys):

1. Steely Dan

2. Pablo Cruise

3. Firefall

4. POCO

5. ELO(Electric Light Orchestra)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know which of these five groups has a pretty strong connection to the Eagles?

Steely Dan...They were an influence on the Eagles.

Hotel California lyrics...

"They Stab It with Their Steely Knives, but They Just Can't Kill the Beast"

Steeley Dan also referred to the Eagles in their song called 'Everything You Did'.

I still pop in ELO"s and Steely Dan's greatest hit packages quite often. My favorites fron Steely Dan are "Reelin' In The Years" and "Rikki Don't Lose That Number".

As for ELO I will go with "Evil Woman", "Showdown", and "Telephone Line". Been looking for a best of Firefall, but have had no luck. Really like "Strange Way" and "Just remember I Love You".

Steeley Dan also referred to the Eagles in their song called 'Everything You Did'.

All true, but Meisner and Schmidt were members of POCO as well as the Eagles.

Edited by the mathemagician

Does anyone know which of these five groups has a pretty strong connection to the Eagles?
Definitely POCO by way of Timothy B Schmitt, who used to be in POCO. Interestingly, he replaced Randy Meisner in both bands.

Yeah, the Hotel California lyric was put in there as a little shot at Steely Dan. It seem's Walter Becker (Steely Dan) had a girlfriend that loved The Eagles and played their music incessantly. So, in Steely Dan's song, "Everything You Did" he put in a line that goes, "turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening."

The Eagles decided to return the favor. They didn't want to mention the band outright though; so they changed the word "Dan" to "knives." But if you know the history of the name, the metaphor still works. ;)