Boone Co. 9 Beechwood 8 (9th Reg. 1st Round)

Congratulations to Coach Wilhoite and the Rebels. They are hitting the ball extremely well right now.

I failed to mention this but yes congratulations Rebels, you played a great game and earned the win. Before today I had not met Coach Wilhoite (not counting the times I shook his hand after my team played his) but I got the opportunity to talk to him numerous times today and he is a great guy. As we (the FF groundscrew) were trying to prepare for rain he was more than willing to do whatever we needed to keep the field playable for the future. He even agreed to have his players help roll out the tarp after the game (as did Coach Myerhoff), and we thank both men tremendously. But best of luck to Coach Wilhoite and his team.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked Coach Wilhoite's decision to not bunt Cotton in bottom of the 7th inning. Man on first, no out, tie game - baseball logic tells you it's a bunt situation all the way. However, he recognized that in the same situation two innings earlier (Cotton advanced runner to 2B), all it did was take bat out of Farris' hands, as BHS intentionally walked him with 1B open. Cotton gets a solid base hit in 7th and BHS (correctly, IMO) elects to pitch to Farris, but walks him to load bases. Rest is history. Fun to watch some of the baseball strategy that goes on in games like this!

Is there a reason (other than they wanted to save him) that Beechwood did not start Elliott? If not, let the criticizing of Meyerhoff start right here.

Well Knowing Coach M like I do, I do believe he was saving Elliott. Sometimes it back fires, and this is one of them.

I do not see why they had Elliott start the 7th inning. Hadden struck out 2 the inning before; going 1,2,3... I know the plan was for Hadden to start tomorrow against NCC but i dont see what an extra 15 pitches can do to an arm that only threw 10-15 pitches in the 6th inninng. I would have had Hadden start the 7th and brought Elliott in if he got in trouble.

I do not see why they had Elliott start the 7th inning. Hadden struck out 2 the inning before; going 1,2,3... I know the plan was for Hadden to start tomorrow against NCC but i dont see what an extra 15 pitches can do to an arm that only threw 10-15 pitches in the 6th inninng. I would have had Hadden start the 7th and brought Elliott in if he got in trouble.

It is not the number of pitches that kept Hadden from going on but (someone correct me if I am wrong) it is the fact that if he throws more than one inning he has to rest for a day before he can pitch again.

I actually had the same thought myself at the game. (I didn't know anything about Hadden possibly starting tomorrow, though). He did look darn good in the 6th (brutal curveball!) and was already comfortable. Tough situation to bring Elliott into cold, but he is one of NKY's best for a reason.

BTW, I'm sure it was a tough finish to the season for Miller (BHS' catcher). The kid is very good. Keep your head up. BHS doesn't even get to where they got - including in this game - if not for you.

It is not the number of pitches that kept Hadden from going on but (someone correct me if I am wrong) it is the fact that if he throws more than one inning he has to rest for a day before he can pitch again.

Unless playoff rules are different you are not mandated a day of rest until you throw 3 innings..

I am pretty sure (99%) that you may pitch the next day if you pitch 2 innings or less. I think 3-5 innings is 1 day rest.

I actually had the same thought myself at the game. (I didn't know anything about Hadden possibly starting tomorrow, though). He did look darn good in the 6th (brutal curveball!) and was already comfortable. Tough situation to bring Elliott into cold, but he is one of NKY's best for a reason.

BTW, I'm sure it was a tough finish to the season for Miller (BHS' catcher). The kid is very good. Keep your head up. BHS doesn't even get to where they got - including in this game - if not for you.

The curveball on the last batter for strike 3 was one of the best I have seen. I have seen Hadden pitch before and he has always had a good curveball but that thing moved a ton! Unfortunantly Miller will remember his high school baseball career as the passed ball that ended the game but he needs to keep his head up. Did a great job with 2, maybe 3 hits. He is a great kid, you did great chris.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Elliott was taken out in the 6th and replaced by Hadden. The DH went to CF. Elliott then hit in the 7th for Hadden which makes him done.;)

Beechwood could not have possibly gotten to this point with only one pitcher (Elliott). The other pitchers have obviously done a great job throughout the season that Coach Myerhoff thought they could win him a ball game. Obviously that didn't happen but he had faith in his players and it just didn't work out for him. No shame in trusting your players.

You are absolutely correct with your statement above. That is what makes me question the move more. Why not start Elliott, who is obviously Beechwood's premier pitcher. It is not like they are a one pitcher team, they have some solid pitchers behind Elliott for later in the tournament.

Just a question, but do you think that Beechwood underestimated Boone County?