Boone Co. 9 Beechwood 8 (9th Reg. 1st Round)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this such a suprise? Myerhoff has made a living out of saving his best for the championship. He did it with Curley in 04', 05', and 06' winning it in 04' and 06'.

Exactly! If you're going to give Myerhoff credit for his previous successes when the gamble pays off, he should also get the blame when it doesn't.

IMO, nothing backfired. Snyder/Smith and Hadden pitched well enough to win w/out Elliott throwing. They made to many costly errors as did Boone. However, BHS's errors cost them about 5 runs and Boone's only a couple.

Exactly correct. Snyder, Smith and Hadden are all quality high school pitchers.

Two good hitting teams, hometeam was a huge advantage in this game. It's a shame that all these teams are in the same region, because they all could probably contend at Applebee's.

Exactly! If you're going to give Myerhoff credit for his previous successes when the gamble pays off, he should also get the blame when it doesn't.

Your'e right but the coach can only put them on the field to play but he can't play for them.

IMO, I give the credit to the kids and also blame the kids.

Two good hitting teams, hometeam was a huge advantage in this game. It's a shame that all these teams are in the same region, because they all could probably contend at Applebee's.

Absolutely they could contend.

Is there a reason (other than they wanted to save him) that Beechwood did not start Elliott? If not, let the criticizing of Meyerhoff start right here.

Pitching was not the problem tonight, 10 men lob was the problem.

Pitching was not the problem tonight, 10 men lob was the problem.

Asking a team to score 10 runs is alot. BHS' pitchers did an okay job (Hadden did a great job), but still gave up 8 runs in 5 innings prior to Elliott releiving. Yes, yes, a couple of them were unearned, but they are high schoolers. They make an occasional mistake and error and you have to allow for that. You won't win the majority of district games giving up 9 runs and asking your team to score double digits. One has to assume that Elliott's arm was fine or he would not have been brought into the game at all (plus he appeared to be throwing very hard). When you elect to not start your #1 pitcher in a district game against the #3 ranked team in NKY, I'm sorry, but you do leave yourself open to be questioned. It may have worked in the past for him, but it did not tonight. We'll never really know - but I very much doubt that Boone scores 9 runs if Elliott starts. Not a slam at Boone. Just a compliment to Elliott.

Let's say Elliott starts. Who is to say he doesn't go out there and leave pitches down the middle and get shelled? Who is to say he doesn't try to nibble and end up walking too many guys? Who is to say the defense behind him doesn't make costly errors and they lose anyhow?

As previously mentioned if BHS wins this conversation doesn't take place. Hindsight is always 20/20. Myerhoff hasn't got lucky in his career, he knows what he is doing. Let him make the decision on who pitches what game.

Let's say Elliott starts. Who is to say he doesn't go out there and leave pitches down the middle and get shelled? Who is to say he doesn't try to nibble and end up walking too many guys? Who is to say the defense behind him doesn't make costly errors and they lose anyhow?

As previously mentioned if BHS wins this conversation doesn't take place. Hindsight is always 20/20. Myerhoff hasn't got lucky in his career, he knows what he is doing. Let him make the decision on who pitches what game.

It's a kid who throws in the upper 80's and is coming off a no-hitter. I'll take my chances with him. At least if you lose, you know you lost throwing your best and don't have to justify your decision by assuming all these terrible things would/could have happened.

And, yes, hindsight is (sometimes) 20/20. It's what makes a forum like this enjoyable and entertaining. Nothing wrong with it at all.

It's a kid who throws in the upper 80's and is coming off a no-hitter. I'll take my chances with him. At least if you lose, you know you lost throwing your best and don't have to justify your decision by assuming all these terrible things would/could have happened.

And, yes, hindsight is (sometimes) 20/20. It's what makes a forum like this enjoyable and entertaining. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Beechwood could not have possibly gotten to this point with only one pitcher (Elliott). The other pitchers have obviously done a great job throughout the season that Coach Myerhoff thought they could win him a ball game. Obviously that didn't happen but he had faith in his players and it just didn't work out for him. No shame in trusting your players.