Boone Co. 9 Beechwood 8 (9th Reg. 1st Round)

As some of you know ,I agreed with not pitching Elliott .If it were not for the physical and mental errors BHS wins this game .

The error at 1 st base that cost a run ,and didn't Farris hit his HR after that error with 2 outs .

The runners on 1 st and 3 rd for Boone ,chopper to 3 rd side of mound runner going home is dead to rights and pitcher turns and throws to 2 nd allowing run to score .

Loksak (sp?) picked at 2 nd and BHS screw up the pickle .

Error in center

Pickett picked off

TOO MANY walks

Outside the walks ,I do not think pitching was the problem .Snyder ,Smith and Hadden pitched well enough to pull this out .I believe UNC-5 is right ,I think the HC game was Codys only win .He has a few saves .I do not know if he makes 7 innings vs Boone .Boone is a much better hitting team than HC ,IMO.You seen what happened vs Cov Cath in the regular season

Cody wore down and they got him in the 5 th .This is not a shot at him ,I feel he is a great player .These things just happen .

Actually, the season stats would show differently. Boone averaged 6.83 runs per game to HC's 6.85, which includes 1/2 of Boone's games with Reed in the lineup. Without Reed in the Boone lineup I would say they are fairly equal hitting teams, though Boone definitely has gotten the hot hand late in the year. The fact of the matter is that Elliott no-hit a pretty decent team just last week. Hard to overlook that . . . . IMO. And you can't always gauge a pitcher's quality/success on their number of wins. Right, Aaron Harang?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coop, always controversy w/you but that is what makes this sooo fun. Coachg, thank you, I totally agree. Anyone who watched this game and knows anything if only a little, knows that the first 3 pitchers threw well enough to win the game BUT....

Coop, back to the so-called official scoring. Answer me this, where does it say that w/a runner on 2nd and a base hit that it is an automatic earned run? Like I said, if Elliott fields the ball clean, the coach is holding Lokesak all the way. Cody was not that deep and Wilhoit was holding Lokesak until he seen him miss the ball. I will not argue this any more but I would like to know where this rule is that says he automatically scores from 2nd on a base hit.

Coop, always controversy w/you but that is what makes this sooo fun. Coachg, thank you, I totally agree. Anyone who watched this game and knows anything if only a little, knows that the first 3 pitchers threw well enough to win the game BUT....

Coop, back to the so-called official scoring. Answer me this, where does it say that w/a runner on 2nd and a base hit that it is an automatic earned run? Like I said, if Elliott fields the ball clean, the coach is holding Lokesak all the way. Cody was not that deep and Wilhoit was holding Lokesak until he seen him miss the ball. I will not argue this any more but I would like to know where this rule is that says he automatically scores from 2nd on a base hit.

Just like to keep things exciting is all . . . . ;)

And you are correct that it isn't automatically an earned run in that situation. It is the official scorer's judgement, but it is allowable. The official scorer in this game must have felt the 2B runner was going to score, as he awarded it as an earned run. I just happen to agree with him. You obviously disagree, which is fine. But ultimately, it was an earned run because it was ruled that way.

Edited by cooperstown

Just like to keep things exciting is all . . . . ;)

And you are correct that it isn't automatically an earned run in that situation. It is the official scorer's judgement, but it is allowable. The official scorer in this game must have felt the 2B runner was going to score, as he awarded it as an earned run. I just happen to agree with him. You obviously disagree, which is fine. But ultimately, it was an earned run because it was ruled that way.

Bad official scorer. I was almost sitting on top of the third base coach and he was clearly holding Lokesak at third. Oh well, as you said, judgement call which is fine but I did not score it the same way.

No one is arguing that the three young men who threw for BWood didn't throw well enough to win. However, when you have a college pitcher who is your ace, and you don't start him and you lose while giving up nine runs it's going to be questioned. Myerhoff expected to win this game there's no doubt about it, that's why he didn't throw Cody. How do you know that Cody doesn't throw a shutout? Yes, the other three didn't throw poorly, but is it possible that their ace might have done better.... I think so...

No one is arguing that the three young men who threw for BWood didn't throw well enough to win. However, when you have a college pitcher who is your ace, and you don't start him and you lose while giving up nine runs it's going to be questioned. Myerhoff expected to win this game there's no doubt about it, that's why he didn't throw Cody. How do you know that Cody doesn't throw a shutout? Yes, the other three didn't throw poorly, but is it possible that their ace might have done better.... I think so...

If you want to go with the college pitcher than you are saying BW should of started Hadden(who is headed for The College Of Charleston ,WV).Elliott is going to Ball State as an OF.

The simple question is this:

Do you believe if Elliott starts the game against Boone that he gives up 8 runs (7 earned) in 5 innings?

If you think it's likely, then it was a good risk to take by BHS coach. If you don't, then it wasn't. Personally, I just don't think he would have. And I would have been more than comfortable throwing Snyder, Smith, or Hadden (had never seen him before - he looked very good!) in the next game. BHS has a great chance to win that next game with any of those on the mound. But they need to be on the field for that game. And IMO, Elliott would have given them the best chance to be there.

If you want to go with the college pitcher than you are saying BW should of started Hadden(who is headed for The College Of Charleston ,WV).Elliott is going to Ball State as an OF.

I thought the College of Charleston was in SC, and the University of Charleston was in WV. I may be wrong.