NFL to have no salary cap?

The salary cap is one of the things that makes the NFL great! Unlike baseball.

Baseball may not have a salary cap but the one thing about that, that is better than the NFL is at least in baseball the #1 pick doesn't get 50+ million without ever having played a game yet. That is just ridiculous.

Baseball may not have a salary cap but the one thing about that, that is better than the NFL is at least in baseball the #1 pick doesn't get 50+ million without ever having played a game yet. That is just ridiculous.

I agree, it is really stupid. But, the root of this problem is a lot more than just the guaranteed money to newly signed rookies.

I think it'd be good to have for a few years. Can you imagine some of the talent that would be on one team? If there's no salary cap, I think we just may see a perfect season... something the Patriots couldn't do. :sssh:

Bits and pieces from the enquirer:

"That would leave the smaller revenue teams such as the Bengals at a competitive disadvantage," ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton said.

"The Bengals could not make a profit by not spending, but they could be outspent by bigger-revenue teams. The salary cap gives every franchise a chance. The Bengals need it. The NFL needs it."

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, has said that once the cap goes away, the players won't allow it to come back.

He said if a new CBA is not reached by 2010, then "we go into no-man's land in 2011, when we have no rules."

Peter King, senior NFL writer for Sports Illustrated, said the Bengals would not be able to retain all of their top players if there is no cap.

"Let's say Cincinnati has six valued veterans of at least six years of experience (that) are unsigned in an uncapped year," King said. "The Bengals (would be able to keep two), but four players would be free to go to the highest bidder - and I wouldn't like the Bengals' chances to keep them."

Small-market teams - such as the Bengals, Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars - say they have to spend significantly higher percentages of their revenue (70 percent compared to 40 percent) on player costs than big-market teams and that the highest-revenue clubs continue to push up player costs for the whole league.

These twin factors - the potential of no salary cap and the increasing disparity in unshared revenue - should make Bengals fans nervous. In previous interviews with The Enquirer, Brown pointed to a grim future if the NFL lost the salary cap and its revenue sharing pillar.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080521/SPT02/805210350/1062/SPT