59th and 60th to combine into a 6 team "Super District"

The 6 team "super district" is going to happen barring any major change of course from the KHSAA.

Region Tourney would look like this -

The way they explained it the region tourney will now consist of 10 teams.

4 from Pike Co.

3 from Floyd

3 from the 57th

If Piarist doesn't have a team there will be just two teams come out of the 58th with only one "play in" game...with ten teams coming out there will be two "play in" games....meeting has been set to discuss the logistics of this for May 19th...all indications are this is going to happen.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ridiculous. What makes the 15th so special that they get different rules?

Harlan County was in a six-team "super district" the past three years, but only two teams made it to the regional.

The 15th needs to add a team or two and get four legitimate districts like everyone else.

If it's too complicated, Westsider and I can realign it over lunch.

Why in the world would they do this?

To get an easy ticket to the regional tournament.

The problem is the other 15 regions are playing by different rules, which is why I'm almost sure the KHSAA will reject the idea.

Every region should have at least 16 legitimate teams, and that doesn't include people like Piarist and David School that are here one year and gone the next.

To get an easy ticket to the regional tournament.

The problem is the other 15 regions are playing by different rules, which is why I'm almost sure the KHSAA will reject the idea.

Every region should have at least 16 legitimate teams, and that doesn't include people like Piarist and David School that are here one year and gone the next.

I would agree wholeheartedly. How could the KHSAA sanction changing the entire structure of the playoff system, but only doing it in one region, regardless of what that region's "policy board" might suggest? It would be much easier to move a team into the 15th and redistrict. Of course, the Pike County schools got a great break during the last redistricting with their de facto three team districts while Lawrence County got crammed into a 57th District that already had four teams, so maybe Pike County has the kind of pull to make it happen again. But there are any number of possible redistricting solutions to this problems, NONE of which involve preferential treatment of the 15th Region and Pike County in particular.

If you are not going to have even 4 team districts, I can see this as a positive development for this region.

NCAA created a play-in game...why not create a little more excitement in the mountains.:laugh:

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Somebody keep us updated.

I would agree wholeheartedly. How could the KHSAA sanction changing the entire structure of the playoff system, but only doing it in one region, regardless of what that region's "policy board" might suggest? It would be much easier to move a team into the 15th and redistrict. Of course, the Pike County schools got a great break during the last redistricting with their de facto three team districts while Lawrence County got crammed into a 57th District that already had four teams, so maybe Pike County has the kind of pull to make it happen again. But there are any number of possible redistricting solutions to this problems, NONE of which involve preferential treatment of the 15th Region and Pike County in particular.

Lets get some things straight.

1 This whole "super district" idea CAME FROM the KHSAA

2 When LC came into the region, Sheldon Clark was supposed to move into the 60th with Piarist and David going to the 59th. SC whined and cried about tradition and whatever so the KHSAA did not make them move.

3 This year the KHSAA was going to make Jenkins move to the 59th, SC to the 60th but once again the whining from other non-Pike County teams complained that Pike would still get 4 teams in the region because Jenkins is not a power in basketball and SC has fallen on hard times.

So I will reiterate that this is not "Pike County" idea, at least from the coaches of the schools, because everyone I have spoken to does not like it.

That's incredibly unfair to the rest of the state.

Until you get below 256 teams, there can still be 16 teams per region, which should be the minimum. I think there are between 270 and 280 teams now.

It would have been as simple to move Jenkins or Knott Central over to the 15th.

That's incredibly unfair to the rest of the state.

Until you get below 256 teams, there can still be 16 teams per region, which should be the minimum. I think there are between 270 and 280 teams now.

It would have been as simple to move Jenkins or Knott Central over to the 15th.

There is a 5 teams district right now in the 57th, the 2 Pike Co. districts purposed -

Sheldon Clark moved from the 57th to the 60th since the 57th is a 5 team district and Jenkins moved from the 14th region to the 59th.

Magoffin moved from the 57th to the 58th and a Floyd County(Betsy Layne) team moved to the 60th and Jenkins to the 59th

All was a no go and this is the cluster your left with.

Question is does the "Super-District" get 2 #1 seeds?