Woodson = very replaceable

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody is replaceable. But, what Woodson was good at was changing the play at the line. They will come with the others but it will take time. Woodson also had was experience. Only time will give you that as well.

Wideouts make every QB look good.

What is your beef with Woodson anyway?

Woodson stepped in and done good in his Junior/Senior seasons, bouncing back from a very sub par Sophmore campaign. I think Woodson's ability as a leader plus his ability of reading defenses and as some alluded to making adjustments is what lead to his much talked about success. Andre became a very smart QB and that is something you cannot really teach and gives that harder to replace element. His work ethic was also another great attribute Dre' possessed.

Personally, I feel with the offense we run the best fit would be Hartline at this point. Pulley is a tremendous athlete and could do a good job but he is more of an athlete than QB IMO. Hartline could do all the things Woodson done in this offense being it was very pocket oriented even though Woodson a lot of times made his throws outside of the pocket. Now if we started to incorporate a lot more option in the system then Pulley's speed and athleticsm would make him the fit. However, from everything I have read and heard we should expect more of the same from Jokers offense so IMO put Hartline back there, move Pulley to WR (the faster they do this the better giving him time to adapt) and now the offense doesn't seem to be losing that much from last year. Dixon, Smith, and certainly Locke should have great seasons running the ball, now with a depleted WR core and new guy stepping in under center we need all the options we can get.

QB - Hartline

RB - Dixon/Locke/Smith

WR - Boyd, Llyons, Pulley

looks a lot better to me than does

QB - Pulley

RB - Dixon/Locke/Smith

WR - Lyons, Boyd, and whoever else can fill.

The first scenario would give a chance to have a great possession WR in Lyons, a Big play WR in Boyd (hopefully) and a solid all around big bodied guy in Pulley.

Sure he is replaceable. Is he replaceable with what we have for next year? Heck no. Pulley just doesn't have the arm and has not played a down of football for about 2 years. Hartline is very green also and may not even win the spot next year, which would put him further behind. It's not like there are a ton of Andre Woodson's out there. I mean, there has been what 10 QB's in the nation drafted in this draft and he is one of them. That is still a pretty good QB.

I said this during the season last year but Woodson was very overrated by UK fans and The Cats won games despite him, not because of him.

The wideouts made him look good.

He has a very good TD/INT ratio. If he didn't have anything to do with it they could have just played Curtis Pulley, who is much more mobile.

You are forgetting about Lanxter and Ford who should be solid wideout options.

Not really forgetting about them because like you said they are solid. I was just outlining a scenario with three role wide recievers and I don't think either will be big play guys, and a really effiecent offense needs diversity and Lyons should be the only real possession reciever if the discussed scenario took place. But they are nice WR's and should contribute. Hopefully one of the guys other than Boyd (who I think will be able to contibute right away) will pull a Steve Johnson and turn into a beast during this offseason.

Woodson did a lot of great things at Kentucky. While I thought he was a very solid QB, his lack of mobility and failure to get rid of the football at times ended a lot of promising drives. He must improve these areas to be effective in the pros. As for UK replacing him, the strength of Pulley and Hartline compared to Woodson is their elusiveness. Both QB's have the ability to make something out of nothing. Pulley can take a broken play to the HOUSE. The main key for next season will be the development of the receivers, and the QB ability to get them the ball. I think this will determine the success of UK next year.